• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Stiletto owners

captain_bob

Just curious if any of you are using Mesa Stilettos. If so, what kind of music do you play through it? How are the tones compared to a Marshall? How pedal-friendly is it? Anything you dislike about the amp? What do you like?

Currently I'm using two Marshall JCM900's, a 4100 and a 4500.
I was digging the demos I have heard of the Stiletto, which to me sounds somewhere between a Marshall and a Recto. I originally wanted to buy a recto, but didn't want to abandon the Marshall tone that I love. So I bought one last weekend. It should be here in about a week. Just curious what you guys have to say. :munch

alexn

I've had an Ace 2x12 combo for about a year, I use it for mostly hard rock sound. The good thing about it is that it has good clean and heavier modes, so you can pull off a wide range of sounds. Personally, I find it on the bright side of things, so I roll of quite a bit of highs and presence.
I've settled into three primary sounds: cleans on the Fat Clean channel, light OD on the same channel with a pedal and high gain on the Tite Gain channel.
When I bought it, I compared it next to a Marshall Vintage Modern, which I intended to buy. For my purposes, the Stiletto still maintained that Marshally, EL34 character but was more versatile. I would say it's much closer to a Marshall than to the scooped mids sound of the Recto.

As far as pedals go, I've used a Fat Boost, an OCD and I'm getting a Zendrive this week. The first two have worked out great for me, no complaints. If you haven't done so already, check out Andy Timmons' demo of his rig on the Mesa web site, it's great.

monk

I had the Trident v.1 and a Dual Rectifier. The Stiletto had much better cleans. The effects loop was much better than the Recto. Both amps didn´t take pedals very well IMO. Very bright. Dual masters was a nice feature.
I sold both when I got a CAA OD-100 Classic+.

LSchefman

My son, who loves British sounding amps, absolutely loves his, I think it's the 100 watt version of the amp. His work varies from punk-influenced to very indie sounding stuff.

He's also a terrific player.

captain_bob

What kind of guitars are you running through yours? I play primarily humbuckers, but how do the single coils sound?

11justin22

love mine. sounds great with greenbacks. I am wanting to try some warhouse et-65's with it. i think those would be a great match.

alexn

What kind of guitars are you running through yours? I play primarily humbuckers, but how do the single coils sound?
Humbuckers and P90s for me, love both of them. The P90s get a little noisy at higher gain levels, but that's the nature of the beast, I guess. A noise suppressor usually takes care of that problem.

Subhuman

I’ve owned a Stage II Deuce for two and a half years. It’s been my main amp since I bought it. I’m a classic hard rock guy. Late 60’s to mid 70’s stuff.
I play it on the Channel I Crunch mode most of the time to suite that era.
I really like the amps versatility. Its lots of fun to mess around with.
Here’s what else I know or think I know.

The Stage I has a little more of a vintage vibe than the Stage II. I should have gone that rout for what I like to play but I am not broken hearted.

The Stiletto for sure has the Brit thing going but I would not say it sounds like a Marshall. It’s very much a Mesa but is still different than a Recto or Mark.

Loose the stock Mesa tubes!!!! Too harsh. SED EL34s or Mullard reissues work great for me. I love the Mesa pre amp tube kit from DougsTubes.com. The TungSol 12ax7 in V1 warms things up nicely.

Dial the thing in with your ears not your eyes. I was not that happy until I turned the Presence and Treble controls back to 9:00 or less.

I started out with the Stiletto 2x12 cabinet but soon switched to the Recto 2x12. This was a good move for me. Now I own two recto cabs so that I can stack them if I need to.
The V30s sound great but it took some time. They’ve got to be broke in. Again, too harsh for me at least.
I am going to try some Greenback type speakers next in one of my cabinets. I think that they actually might be a better fit. One more step closer! :dude

If you don’t get a manual with your amp down load it from Mesa’s website.
There is lots of good stuff in there to get you up and running faster. Especially if it’s your first Mesa.

Good luck

captain_bob

Thanks everyone for the good info. What? No 412 love in this thread? Everyone seems to be going the 212 or the combo route. So far nobody has mentioned running the Stiletto through a 4x12, which I will be running through. I have a 412 Rectifier oversized cab with vintage 30's and an 412 Avatar cab with Hellatone Celestion 30's. I was planning on using the recto for the Stiletto and keeping the Avatar for one of my Marshalls. Anyone going through a 412, if so, what cab.
By the way, what good is a love thread without pics? How about some photos of your rigs?

somedude

Thanks everyone for the good info. What? No 412 love in this thread? Everyone seems to be going the 212 or the combo route. So far nobody has mentioned running the Stiletto through a 4x12, which I will be running through. I have a 412 Rectifier oversized cab with vintage 30's and an 412 Avatar cab with Hellatone Celestion 30's. I was planning on using the recto for the Stiletto and keeping the Avatar for one of my Marshalls. Anyone going through a 412, if so, what cab.
By the way, what good is a love thread without pics? How about some photos of your rigs?

From what I've been reading on the Boogie forum, the general suggestion is to use the Recto cabs with the Stilettos and the Stiletto cabs with the Rectos.

Go figure...

Subhuman

Sorry Captain:jo
Here is my rig.

The double 2 x 12 set up works great for my needs. Right now I have one at our practice space and one at home. For gigs I can tailor it to fit the venue.

captain_bob

Subhuman, sweet setup! Love the silverburst... but I'm seriously jonesing for that side-input SG. I have a '83 in Polaris white.

Trending Topics