Mesa Stiletto Series Discontinued

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Skiptrip, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Skiptrip

Skiptrip Supporting Member

The Mesa Boogie webpage now includes the Stiletto series among their "out of production products." With the success of the T.A. series, and the E. Dyne before it, perhaps this move is not unexpected:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of _Production/Out.htm

During production, the Stiletto series drew a lot of ire on TGP for being bright and fizzy (rightly or wrongly), but I wonder about the legacy of this product. Will time redeem it, as it has other discontinued Mesa amplifiers (like the Blue Angel), or will it remain the object of derision?

Hoping to hear from current and former owners. I'll start! I've had a love/hate thing with my Ace for years, but there are some serious tones in there--especially at stage volumes. I plan to keep mine as a recording amp since it has so many voicing (from fat clean to fluid gain), but looking at a speaker upgrade (ASW KTS-60).

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I see this as a good thing. I see much more positive reviews and better clips of the Royal atlantic and Electrodyne than I ever did of the Stiletto amps. I think the Stiletto amps will go the way of the Mesa Nomads, pretty much forgotten...

3. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've tried one before - wasn't too overly excited with the tone. It sounded OK, but wasn't the type of Mesa sound I was expecting.

4. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I've really enjoyed the Stiletto that I've been using for the last 4 months. I like it a whole lot more than the Dual Rectifier. That said though, I just don't need all that power anymore and am in the process of selling it on Amazon to get a much lower-watt amp.

5. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

I thought the Stiletto Ace was far too bright. There was nothing I could do to eliminate the harsh, bright highs. Okay amps, but nothing too great about them. I agree with above that the Royal Atlantic and the Electrodyne are far better amps.

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    The series one Deuce that I had was the thinnest, buzziest sounding thing on the Planet! :mad: It sure looked cool though .... :red

7. Skiptrip

No doubt the Stiletto is voiced brightly and the amp can buzz when the pre-amp gains are set high and the channel/main volumes low. It struggles at "bedroom" levels.

I suspect others will chime in and speak to the fact that it fattens up at higher volumes and cuts very well through a live mix. Some will say the V-30s need breaking in---others that greenback style speakers are a better match for the amp.

Anyone on the look out for a Stiletto at clearance pricing? Other thoughts on the apparent phase out of the Stiletto line?

8. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Yep--same experience here. Good riddance.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

My son had one, and it was really good for certain styles that he played.

Both of us liked it a lot as a gigging amp. It was sold to get something lower-wattage for his recording projects, not because it didn't sound good.

10. el chuco

el chuco Member

I've had the Stiletto Ace for about 3 years and that amp just got better with use. Now I mostly use it in the studio, but, I have played it in clubs & outdoor venues very successfully. Yes, it takes some time to dial in, but once you do, it is awesome. Right now I am planning to use it in a Beatles Tribute charity event for the Cancer Foundation and will run my Dot ES335 through it. I'm even having to turn the Bass to "0", Mids to "5" and Treble to "8 or 9" while playing on the bridge pickup and it definitely isn't sounding thin or harsh with bright highs. Granted that the ES335 is a bottom heavy guitar to begin with. The Ace really gets some nice British tones and this amp definitely has it's place among the amp world imo.

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

It's very bright and the low end only kicks in at raging volumes. But it sounds pretty damn good up really loud, IMO. (This is in reference to the stage 1)

I could never get the Ace to sound good without the master high, and the gain low. I sold that amp pretty quickly.

Have not tried the Stage 2 version.

12. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum because it's the first Mesa amp I really bonded with. It was a little bright but I just turned the treble down to about 3 - 4 and it sounded great. I've had to do the same thing with Fender amps too in the past though. I have the version 2 btw.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  13. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

If you haven't put a graphic eq in the loop,
    you haven't really seen what the stiletto can do.

14. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

My experience with the amp (I have the Ace combo - second time owning one) is that it's all about the mids. It reminds me of my Metro GPM45 in this regard.

You really need to run the mids high (I have mine dimed) not scooped, and you get some killer tones. And I love the presence the Vintage 30 has in the closed back combo.

I've owned some well regarded amps (Budda, Reinhardt, Metro, Retro-King, etc.) and the Stiletto is my favorite and most versatile.

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

16. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Good point. The ONLY time I got my Ace to sound great was on one of the clean modes, loop bypassed, master dimed and gain as low as I could get it. Perfect AC/DC tones. But it was too loud for any realistic gigging situation so I couldn't really use it. Love my Mark V though.

Sounds like any overdriven amp being played through a crappy camera microphone then compressed down to 360p. :dunno

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I had a Series I Trident .... it was great.

Just like some people are more sensitive to bright light .... some people are more sensitive to upper frequencies sounds. Certain combinations of gear can highlight this effect. Taste is what it is....

Like many Mesa amps it needs to be set up a certain way to get the best results... trying a few tubes in V1 can go a long way with any amp. A darker tube like a 5751 can have a pretty strong effect on the sound.
    Just like the vintage amps it was voiced after the poweramp needs to be turned up. The presence and treble need to be set to 9 o'clock down to off to get the best results for my taste.

The amp is capable of a raw bright brash classic British voice that cuts in a mix. Most modern amps can not really get this sound. Many tend to be a simulation of the smoothed out processed homogeneous pasteurized recorded sound that come from the microphone and after. Not exactly strange many of these amps do not cut in a mix.

18. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I think if you have to do that, with ANY amp, then you have the wrong amp. It means it's not voiced properly. The exception would be an amp that's just a C hair from perfect... if the EQ can get you all the way there, then yes, I agree.

chillybilly likes this.
  19. Skiptrip

20. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

I played an original Stiletto Deuce, before they revised it. Hated it. Definetly not a Mesa hater either. Loved the MK III, F-50, and the Express I spent some time with. Really really really liked the F-50.