Mesa Stiletto tube red plated? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by halfnote, Feb 9, 2012.

1. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

What the hell would cause that. Was playing and the delay thru the loop went haywire.. Looked around back of the amp.. # 3 was almost on fire #4 was half way there..
    Just bought it on ebay.. Seller says it was Mint?

2. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Don't blame the amp blame the tube. Pop some different ones in there and more than likely your golden.

3. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

Really, The Tube? How can a tube just glow all on its own? The odd things is its the number three thats firey and the four is about half of that. One and two are fine?
    Thanks for helping me out... Not sure what to do. I can return it... Don't want associated problems later...

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Could be something internal to the amp. Try it again to confirm. After that, move the redplating tubes to different sockets and see if the problem follows the tubes or stays with the sockets. If it follows, replace the tubes. If it stays, then there's something wrong inside the amp.

5. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

okay will do now... Thanks. Be right back...

6. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

It's the amp... I put tube 1 in socket 3 and tube 3 in socket 1 -

The 3 position glowed with in 30 seconds with tube one in it....

Thanks for that tip... I will return the amp.

7. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

I'm bumming...........

8. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

I spoke with a local authorized repair tech today about the amps problem.
    He says the Mesa amps are generally bullet proof and when there is an issue its most likely an easy repair. He noted the tubes will need to be replaced which I expected to hear.
    I'm waiting for the ebay seller to send me the original sales invoice which I'll have to present to the repair shop. This seller also agreed to send me a brand new set of Tubes which I thought was fair aside from the fact that he may or may not have sent me the amp knowing it had a problem, he did of course blame me for causing the amp to fail. Not a nice guy at heart. I paid 995.00 free shipping which I felt was a fair deal for the described MINT amp.
    Has anyone else out there experience this problem with a Mesa amp? particularly the Stiletto Deuce Stage II?

9. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like he bought tubes that aren't in the mesa 'bias window'.

What he's sending may not be better.

Have a tech check it, probably just needs to be biased with the right power tubes. Mesa is fixed, and generally runs them cold.