Mesa Stiletto vs. Bogner Exctasy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slhguitar, Feb 3, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I have heard them both called the ultimate modded marshall tone. I have the chance to get either one or the other used, the Stiletto for 1200, and the bogner for 1800 (CDN).

Which one is the better amp, and the better deal?

EDIT: I just realized i meant to put Shiva, not Ecstasy, which I incedentally spelled wrong in the title.

2. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Everybody hears something different in an amp, and between those two, I don't know that I have heard a modded Marshall tone. They're, at least to me, kind of on both sides of a modded marshall. The Shiva is a little sweeter, compressed, darker. And the Stilleto...and I swear I tried to get a good sound out of it, to my ears, was high gainy with a real abrasive sound that I just couldn't get dialed in. Probably my problem. Where the Marshall (of course depending on the mods, of which I'm not sure which mods you're referring to, I'm going purely on a few heads I've heard that have been hot rodded) would fit is somewhat more gain/crunch than the Shiva, and a much more "musical" sound with a fatter gain than the stilleto. Just my opinion/experince. I'd definitely hope that you'd try to play em before you consider buying, you may love the stilletto...I love the Shiva....good luck.

3. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I can give you an honest opinion here ... the Shiva is a better amp for those who don't really want a lot of gain, but need it occasionally. The sound is tighter, and as Stu at Fat Sounds describes it "woody".

If you like to shred a bit, go with the Stilletto ... it has more gain, and is more player friendly.

I love the tone of a Shiva ... I just got through blasting the last of my hearing out with mine ... with the master cranked and the gain up halfway, it sounds like a plexi with a bit more grind and fullness to it.

I played the Mesa at a Guitar Center .... it does rip .... :BEER

4. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I think i might go for the Mesa...I need it to be pretty high gain all the time. Thanks for the tips.

5. Tone

Tone Member

6. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

The Mesa still has that Mesa Tone overall. The Bogner is amazing too. If you want a Moded Marshall tone how about a Slawn?

Gregory

7. Tone

Tone Member

Oh also, Dave Weiner from the Steve Vai band uses one I think, (it's pictured on his site) and I think they play at pretty high gain. Not sure how much gain you're talking about though.

8. mileseven

mileseven Member

I have owned a Mesa Stiletto for almost a year now, and can say that it has some amazing tones. I have never played the Bogner so I can't tell you anything about it. The Fluid Drive setting on the gain channel has some awesome high gain tone, but what sold me on the amp was the crunch setting on the low gain channel. It is absolutely incredible. I can't tell you anything about the Bogner, but I can almost guarantee that you will be very pleased with the Stiletto.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

I have both. If you want 70s style Marshall-esqe tones, get the Shiva. If you want 80s hot-rodded Marshall-eque tones, get the Stiletto.

Shiva is more unforgiving than the Stilletto which has lots of preamp gain.

Both are cool, but different.

When I play my Shiva, I think Aerosmith "Sweet Emotion". When I play Stiletto, I think 80s hair band (at least on some channels).

10. Tone

Tone Member

Let us know how it goes.:AOK

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Oddly enough, I think both amps are terrific amps, and would agree that the Mesa is a shredder's dream. My son is getting one with his hard-earned music money, and we just fooled around with one today. Since I don't play that style, I wouldn't find it particularly my type, but in his hands, it sounded GREAT.

It's all about your own style.

12. Tone

Tone Member

LSchefman, what would you say makes it a shredders dream? I've been wondering what shredder type players prefer as far as response, gain, rectifier type, etc. Did you guys try out the series l or the series ll? I've been reading that there's going to be a series ll with some tweaks to the voicing of some modes. On the boogie boards it's called the Hollywood Mod since it's done by the Mesa Hollywood store for walk in customers only. Not sure if it's all true or not though. :)

13. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I tried the stiletto trident yesterday in a shop. It sounded wicked, even at low volumes. I'm gonna try to get my hands on it...and I am in fact going for more of that 80s hair metal marshall sound. Thanks again for all the advice.

14. Tone

Tone Member

Cool, let us know how it turns out. I'm into that 80's hair metal tone too. :)

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>LSchefman, what would you say makes it a shredders dream? I've been wondering what shredder type players prefer as far as response, gain, rectifier type, etc. Did you guys try out the series l or the series ll<<

My son played it with a Les Paul's bridge pickup. The amp had a lot of that snarly, Marshall sound, tons of sustain, but still had a Mesa quality in terms of compression and "thickness". It's hard to describe what I think of as a shredder's tone, but lots of cut, sustain, and snarl kinda get me there. The tone was fat, but not indistinct. Plenty of edge.

One difference between it and a Dual Recto or TVerb is that I could see this amp cutting better through a very dense live mix. It's what I'd consider a good rock player lead guitar amp.

We played a Type I, I guess. My son put a deposit on it, he really liked it.

16. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I checked out the Mesa when they first came out. It didn't really do too much for me. It had one high gain tone I liked the rest was just average at best.

If you are looking at high gain spend the extra cash and get an SLO or a Ubershall. If all I had was $1200 I'd get the Avenger.

17. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

The problem with buying Soldano and Bogner, is there arent any near me. I think the closest dealer is about 2 and a half hours away, and I can't afford them new. If I could, I would get an uberschall, but I have only seen one for sale in the past 8 months. There is one Bogner dealer in Toronto, but they only have an ecstacy. Thanks for the advice though.

18. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

The Avenger is very cool , but its one channel and no EFX loop.
    Seriously, check out Splawn. Unless you want that new metal tone.
    If you want new metal, also check out the new Rivera heads too.
    Thats what slipknot uses. They have 2 new amps out. The "7" for Mick of Slipknot and a new head that is suppose to rival an Uber. I havent played these yet though.
    Good luck.
    Gregory

19. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Hey Music Gear Guys, great sig. Made my wife laugh.

20. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Thanks bro.
    It was on a T- Shirt, and then it became a joke between Ed Degenaro and I.
    I thought it would be proper to be a sig.........................................................................................
    Oops sorry I thought I saw a chicken.
    Where was I?
    Oh yeah, a signature.:D

Gregory:dude