Mesa Stiletto vs. Splawn Quick Rod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ibanez4life SZ!, May 18, 2008.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

I'm ditching the Mark IV...love the amp, but after all, I'm an EL-34 guy.

Now, I am on the hunt.

Played a Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage II, and was blown away. I'm having a hard time finding one on the used market though. I really can't afford to purchase new at the moment.

So, I'm considering a Splawn Quickrod, as it also seems to be a take on the whole "hotrodded Marshall" thing.

What is your guys' opinion on the amp? From what I hear, it should do what the Mesa does, but better. When I played the Stiletto, it was getting me the most oustanding hard rock, modern rock, and Metal tones I've heard from any amp I've owned. Can the Splawn deliver this aswell?

Anyone spend some more time with the amps? Opinions for a guy who has to make a really tough choice?

Thanks much!

2. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I was in the exact same predicament as you about a year ago. I played the Stiletto and loved it. I came on various forums asking a similar question, and a lot of people pointed me in the Splawn direction. However, I had never played one, and I'm also skeptical about buying before trying.

Luckily, I have two dealers with me, so I was able to demo. Within the first five minuets of playing the Splawn, I was immediately convinced that it was the one. I got my QR about six months ago and I've been extremely happy since. It's got the perfect, thick Marshall crunch.

The Mesa sounds good, but it's still got that Mesa voicing, which you either like or you don't. If you want a more Marshall sound, go with the Splawn.

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

IMO, the splawn will rip out the stilletto's esophagus and have it for lunch.:bow

4. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

The Splawn is more Marshally. I have one of the first Quickrods with the new clean channel. It's the amp I've owned the longest and have never considered selling it if that says anything.

5. jcj

jcj Member

Quickrod. Absolutley great at what it does. One of the best buys out there for the hot rodded Marshall sound.

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Ditched the Mark IV your an EL-34, had you tried the EL-34s in the Mark IV, really sounded like a stilleto to me when I did.

7. LAVALLE

LAVALLE Silver Supporting Member

I have a Splawn Quickrod and it's a great modded marshall type amp. It also represents a great value at $1850 new. I have owned a few Mesa's but never the Stilletto/Ace. Good luck.

8. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Sounds to me like he's over Mesa...

9. shibby

shibby Member

hows the new clean channel? good cleans?

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

You might be able to get some of the builders here to fix you up with an EL34 amp that could fit the bill.

11. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I have access to a great number of amps and I still prefer the Mesa Stilletto over the Splawn. Why? Because the Mesa is more versatile. Both are extremely well made amps, you really can't go wrong with either. IMO the Splawn does a couple of things well and the Mesa Stilletto does a lot of things better. The Splawn is also a "harder" amp to play than the Stilletto. The Stilletto will sing much better than the Splawn in the lead settings. The Rectifier choice in the Stilletto is another nice option. The clean channel on the Splawn still needs "work" IMO.

12. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

+1.....I owned the Mesa Stiletto stage 1 and 2. The 2 destoys the stage 1 first of all. Ive played Splawn amps, and like them too, but they are a rather one dimentional amp compared to the Mesas IMO...As far as which sounds more like a Marshall, I'd say the Splawn also, because thats what it is, in a Splawn cabinet, with better parts...I feel either is a great choice, but get a Stage 2 if you go the Mesa route.....Here's Mine when I still ahd both heads-stage 1 and 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

I appreciate all the input so far! Much appreciated.

I tried the Mark IV with EL-34s on the outside, and it sounded awkward to me.

The Stiletto, on the other hand, sounded amazing!

Any more input would be great.

14. kselbee

kselbee Member

I owned a Splawn (and a slew of other EL34 amps looking for THAT tone) and now have a Stiletto Ace and couldn't be happier!!

15. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I disagree. The Splawn "sings" much more nicely than the Mesa, IMO. The Mesa sounded rather boxy for lead.

If I were the OP, I would try both before you decide.

16. crwnedblasphemy

crwnedblasphemy Member

It really all depends which models you are going for? I have tried the Deuce 1 and didn't care for it, then the Ace came out and I thought it rocked.....Was thinking about buying, but then a deal on a Quickrod flew my way and I bought it within 2 minutes of playing it. Hasn't left the roost.

I haven't tried the Stage 2s, would love to.

I did have a Splawn Competition for awile as well, but sold it. The Quickrod was way more fluid and smooth.

I was kinda interested in the Mark IV, but I feel like every clip I have heard that it lacks something? It sounds to me like a rack setup almost? Like my old Peavey rockmaster. It sounds like it would be good for that old metallica/testament stuff. I would like to play one again though. My friend has a Mesa Studio/5050 setup which I have played a lot. I am guessing the Mark IV sounds a lot like his setup?

17. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I still disagree. The Splawn only sings because you have to crank it to get it to give up the goods. YMMV Try both out and decide for yourself.

18. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Problem is that I have no way of trying a Splawn.

As for the Mesa, we're talking about the Stiletto Deuce Stage II.

19. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Actually the Studio sounds more like a Mark IIC than a Mark IV. The IV's a smoother, warmer sounding amp. It also has a third, under appreciated rythm 2 channel.

20. crwnedblasphemy

crwnedblasphemy Member

Does that second channel get good tone?