Mesa Studio 22+ Could this be the best amp ever?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

So I've been struggling with back issues for several years and been down sizing, got a really good deal on an old Mesa Studio+. Its an interesting amp that has a kind of raw unrefined character that may not appeal to all. Had the Lead Drive mod performed at Mesa as well as having it totally gone through and at the same time got Mojotone to recover the combo cab. Just got the little rascal back together and tried it out. I'm much happier with the Lead channel now, it's much more usable with the mod and the amp is percolating quiet good now since Mesa went through it.

This amp meets a number of criteria that are important to me these days. Small, light weight, two channel, loud, and really good vintagey BBQey smoky tone.

So lets talk about these old dawgs, anyone else using these amps and your thoughts please?

No pics no amp. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

If it is for u, that's all that matters... Nice restoration! Good speaker choice..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Silver Hand likes this.
  3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Ah but isn't the amp you currently own the best? :D

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Member

So you have an amp which been modified and you're saying that after all the mods it's the best ever? What was it before the mods? I will admit it looks "friendly" now. :D

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Actually it has one mod to the circuit which is the addition of the Lead Drive mod which is a factory update to the amp. It was nice before the mod but more usable/flexible now.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

yes... For this month...:):)

7. Al Rose

Al Rose Gold Supporting Member

Had one for many years. Hundreds of gigs. Sometimes I still wish I had it. Great lead channel for me. That said, my DC2 has separate tone stacks, and my Express has many more options. But for just a raw Boogie tone it was awesome...

[​IMG]

Red Planet likes this.