Mesa Subway Blues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CitizenCain, Dec 20, 2009.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

A local store has one for about $450. It sounds pretty nice, but I only had time to give a 5 minute try. Seems like a cool amp, parallel FX loop, 1x10 combo, very light weight, simple (for a Mesa) controls.

Any real world experiences with these? Seems almost like it's Mesa's take on the Princeton Reverb. I'm thinking pretty hard about this one :cool:

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I have a subway Rocket which I think is similar and it's a great little amp! :hiP

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

That sounds good. I'll have to go back and give this a longer play.

4. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

The Subway Blues is a great little amp IMO, takes pedals well also. Very Fendery as you noticed, but can be pushed and tweaked into some voxish tones as well. Do a search on it, you'll find alot of positive opinions on it.

It's nothing like the Subway Rocket however, which I also have, and is a great amp as well. The Rocket has a lot of gain as the preamp section is based on the Recto according to the manual.

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Thanks, smallcrap :D I'm definitely looking towards a more Fendery voiced amp.

6. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Great little amp, I use one sometimes for band practice. If you change your mind and look for buying it, check that is not one with the "hum" problem or is it was reworked for that. Normally only the early models are the ones with that problem as I understand.

7. gsf

gsf Member

I played one for a 1/2 hour when they first came out and I only remember we drove a 2x12 cab cranked. Sounded Beano to me (yeah, a little different, but it rocked)

8. motis1953

motis1953 Member

I was WAY happier when I sold mine and got a Fender Blues Junior. The Mesa felt stiff and sterile to me. I don't think you can beat a Blues Junior for an entry level product in that price range.

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

It probably sounds much better through an external cab. The 1x10" on the Subway Rocket Reverb I had was really boxy sounding.

10. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

Currently it's my only amp. I've had it for 10 years and have had no problems and always thought that it's an excellent amp. I went looking to buy a Fender and came home with this. There was no comparison.

The most important thing to tell you is make sure the half power jack is in the rear. This indicates the more recent model. Some of the earlier ones had some problems with noise (I don't recall the issue). I have had zero problems with mine. Zero. 10 years of near daily playing. Replaces the 2 power tubes that were not worn out, I just thought after 8 years they should be!

Anyway it is a wonderful and surprisingly loud amp. I did convert mine to a head as I like 12 inch speakers. If it wasn't going to be my one and only I probably would have left it as a combo.

Great, great reverb (tube reverb, unlike the BJ). Not hard to dial in but be aware that it is very tweakable with just a little treble and bass adjustment and very dependent on volume. It takes a lot to get some breakup and it will be subtle at that. A nice overdrive pedal is your friend.By the way, the Subway Rocket is a whole different animal in terms of tone/sound.

Really likes single coils. Humbuckers are okay but really shines with a strat. It will hold it's value well. $400-$500+ seems to be the going rate. Mine was $479 new in 1999.

here is a link to Mesa's site with info on the Subway Blues :

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/Subway_Series/Subway_Blues/subway_blues.html

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll check to see if it has the half-power jack. If it doesn't, is the hum/noise problem apparent from the start? I can't say I noticed anything odd on my short test drive.

12. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

No, I think there was a component failure of some type that happened over time. They all have the half power option with the older ones having them as inputs on the front and the newer ones having the speaker cable jack on the back serving the same function. If I'm wrong about the old one someone please correct me, but that's the way I recall it being.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009