Mesa Subway Rocket users question.

saintpatrick

Hi all,
I just picked up Mesa SR for a grab and go small amp and had 2 questions for users experienced with it's functions. I get sound coming through the speaker when the volumes are at zero on both channels. With the Masters at 0 if I increase the level of the gain knobs, it comes through more. Is this normal for this amp? Secondly, The speaker is a bit flat tonally. I could see it being fine with chorus and etc but I think I would like to put in something a bit smoother with richer sound. I would also like the low end to be less "thunk" and more "bloom" (if that makes sense). Anyone put something in that put some body into the tone of this amp?

wildschwein

I have the Rocket 44. It's the 1x12 version with same preamp. It's normal for there to be sound when the masters are at 0. Signal/some volume seems to come through other controls like the gain and the eq. No big deal - the zero gain setting on the OD channel is great for late night practice. If you don't dig the speaker you can always shop around for a replacement that's more vintage sounding.

saintpatrick

Thanks wildschwein for the feedback on the sound level at 0. I feel much better about it. I'm interested if anyone has put a Tone Tubby Alnico in there?

riffmeister

If you can spring for a 1x12 Mesa Thiele cab with the Black Shadow 90W speaker, the amp will sound much fuller and thicker. I did this with my Subway Rocket when i had it many years ago.

elijah

The Eminence Ramrod is a good replacement speaker with more character than the original.
The stock speaker is very neutral. I believe it is an Eminence, most similar to the Legend 1058.

saintpatrick

Thanks elijah. Neutral is a great word to describe the stock model in there. Outside of Verb and a small amt of delay, I not really using any effects so I think the speaker replacement is what I need. An additional cab is not really in the cards as I got this amp for portability. Anyone else have any experience with lower wattage Alnicos?

elijah

The alnicos I've tried with mine are the eminence made mesa version similar to the legend 1028K.
They were thin sounding at home volume, but sounded ok when cranked. For my uses the ramrod and stock speaker were both better in that amp.

Trending Topics