Mesa TA-15 speaker: G12M Greenback, Creamback or Lynchback?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oloboy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. oloboy

oloboy Member

I have a Mesa TA-15 with a 1x12 cab loaded with a G12H30 Anniversary speaker. I'm looking to replace the speaker because although I like it's bass and clarity, the high end gets shrill and it's loud. Looking for something articulate but warmer with less sensitivity.

I have a different amp for Fender clean platform + pedals. The TA15 is my plug straight in for Marshalll, Vox and Mesa slight dirt to distorted tones.

Any thoughts on these G12M speakers in this amp?

2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Is your cab open or closed back? If it's closed, any greenback will sound great. Open back, greenbacks are ok but you could probably find something better. I love greenbacks, I find they sound great with almost any amp.

3. oloboy

oloboy Member

Its an convertible back cabinet. I currently have it set open with the G12H30 but may close it with the new speaker.

4. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Interested in this as well (but with a TA-30). Anyone tried a Vintage 30 with that amp?

5. kbgear

kbgear Member

Mesa ships these with C90s, which are a good, fairly neutral choice. I liked my TA-15 through the C90, Creamback G12M, and Alnico Gold 10 (probably in order), but it might sound even better through a Blue or Creamback Alnico. FWIW!

6. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

kbgear: I got to try a TA-30 through a TA 23" 1x12 cab. Not bad but the amp was acting up. I'ts on ny consideration list.

7. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

OK, Yesterday played a TA-30 through a Mesa Transatlantic 1x12 cab with the stock C90. Then played my own TA-30 at home through a 1x12 cab with the Eminence Swamp Thang.

Verdict: Maybe I don't crave the most vintage Vox tones but I thought all modes on the TA-30 sounded better, fuller and less scratchy with the Swamp Thang than the C-90 - with no loss of sparkle.

8. kbgear

kbgear Member

I can see the C90 being scratchy, but I'm surprised that the Swamp Thang of all speakers would have a lot of sparkle. Though to be fair, the C90 does have more bite than sparkle IME.