Mesa TA and RA officially discontinued

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KarlHouseknecht, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Mesa is doing a Q&A on Premiere Guitar's Facebook page right now. I inquired about the TA and RA to see if they'd officially reply, and they did:

They wouldn't say what will replace them, naturally. But I'm still hoping for something mo betta! :)

2. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Speaking of R&D, I would love to see Mesa design an amp with only four knobs, just to see if they can do it. No push/pull allowed, either.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Interesting, wonder what they will come up with next.

4. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Wonder why. I thought folks liked these (I really like the TA-30 and I'm not always a Mesa fan).

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Go to FB and ask them.....:rimshot

6. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

The Electradyne is a very straightforward offering from Mesa and one kick ass amp! Very underated and overlooked IMHO. Seems the Mesa crowd doesn't want bass middle treble layouts

7. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

God bless the used market!

8. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Wow.... I thought the TA-series was a homerun.

Guess the marketplace did not agree.... :dunno

9. jujube

jujube Member

Electradyne
    Kingsnake
    Mark I reissue
    Blue Angel

come close but not quite 4 knobs. :)

10. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

They used to have one -- the Subway Blues (well five knobs counting reverb).
    I've still got one I bought new in '94. Great amp. I do think they should still offer a simple amp like that. I guess they don't sell well enough.

EricStratton likes this.
  11. jhideout

jhideout Member

I played a ta30 for 2hrs today for the first time...absolutely loved it...but what kept me from pulling the trigger was the channel 2 hi 1...I was hoping for a more convincing marshall tone...but it reminded me of crunch Chan on mark v...darker and more spongy..every other tone was great though

TubeStack likes this.
  12. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Mesa should replace the RA-100 with this:

50 watt, smallbox Royal Atlantic style amp with 2xEL34s, no reverb, a true 3 channels with independent EQ on all 3, and a Cab Clone built in.

In fact if there isn't a Cab Clone in every amp from now on then Mesa is really effing up.

13. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I'd like to see Mesa do a 3 channel "big three" amp:
    1) Fender cleans 2) Vox top boost 3) Marshall....errr...Mesa grind.

Form of the Mark V, and they already have all three types of circuits designed. so why not? But then again, if it were that simple, I'm sure somebody else would have already done it.

14. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I absolutely love the TA-15/30. But you are correct about the Hi 1. It certainly didn't have a Marshall sound on it own. Small tip though: using an SD-1 or TS-808 to really push it (traditional settings) makes it really rock. Gives it a very smooth hard rock overdrive. And surprisingly quiet (as in vain hiss/noise/etc).

I'm kind of bummed they are doing away with the TA/RA series. I honestly believe it's one in Mesa too series. Mark series obviously being the flagship/claim to fame.

I may have to finally get an RA-100 to match its little brother TA-15. I can't justify it but with the close outs bound to happen, it'll be hard to resist.

15. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

I absolutely love my TA-15, especially with Scumback M75s. Can't believe these aren't selling. The price-features-tone ratio is outstanding.

16. Antiquo Cantor

Antiquo Cantor Member

:rotflmao I have their smallest, most affordable "lunchbox" amp and it's got 8 knobs and 7 switches. Maybe they could do a headphone amp. :idea

17. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

i think most of us think there will be a V2 series of TA amps. I hope so. With a loop and a few other refinements, the amp would be killer. I love my TA15 now.

18. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I'd go for that. I rarely use the onboard reverb on my RA, and usually use it in 50 watt mode. I love the RA, but its a heavy beast to move.

19. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

My TA-15 and Dr. Z Route 66 (no longer own the Z) both got me over my fear of amps without loops (or reverb). I learned how to set the time based pedals right so they still sound good. Don't get me wrong, I prefer a loop. But those amps, along with my Tweeds, made me learn that:

A) For OD- Higher gain you just have to set the Mix and repeats lower (almost off) when using delay or reverb in front when using amp OD or distortion.

B) Got me off my reverb crutch for higher gain sounds. Not that I ever used too much before but I now like almost very very little, if any, reverb when using a lot of gain. Even with a loop or built in reverb.

Obviously this doesn't apply if going for cavernous or ambient sounds.

My point I guess is a loop would have been nice but a loop alone wouldn't make me buy a V2. Now maybe Being able to use both (and mix) 6V6's and EL-84's? I would be all over that.

20. Darth Gain

Darth Gain Member

I think the writing was on the wall about revising that line. I ordered a mini Mark with a custom color and it was CHEAPER than a TA30 and the mini Mark has GEQ and a CabClone, the value didn't seem to add up. I don't think Mesa is giving up on British voiced amps, I think they will be eventually releasing an updated version.