Mesa Thiele cabinest - do you like them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Puckbucker, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

I'm debating getting a compact Mesa 1x12 Thiele cab with a Celestion Vintage 30. Any one use the Mesa compact Thiele cab?

How did you like it after owning it awhile? Is it "too much" or did you like it? What amps are you using it with?

2. weenerdoggs

weenerdoggs What's Up Dogg?

Kaneohe Bay, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Earth...
    I have a friend who does and it sounds good. And I personally love V30s.

3. kimock

kimock Member

That's a great bass guitar cab.

4. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Bass eh!
    I'm considering using this with a Redplate Blackverb - a blackface style amp voiced a bit for V30s. Never had a closed back cab before and had some concern it might be too punchy. My basic tone is more open (J. Garcia being my key influence) but I also play stuff in the Robben Ford vein. Not sure how the Thiele would fit in there.

5. kimock

kimock Member

Probably best to stick with the open back cabs in that case.

6. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Had the same thought. Thx & cheers.

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Yes I like the Thiele especially the ones with Black Shadows aka EVM12L speakers in them.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I used to run my '67 fender bassman through a Mesa Thiele 112, sounded great. Best 112 cab I have ever heard. This one had an evm-12l.

9. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I owned one for over a decade but I was never crazy about it, though the size was perfect. I even tried sealing off the ports, and putting two boards on the back for an open back test. I also tried sealing off the ports and running it with the stock back board for a fully sealed sound. Of course I also used it quite a bit with the stock thiele ports open. I tried many Celestions in it (vintage and new including an early 90s V30) a couple Scumbacks, and the stock EV that it came with. In the end I'm just not an EV guy so perhaps I was fighting a loosing battle wanting it to work with the Celestions. I did like the cab in a wet dry rig just for the wet side with a 4x12 on the dry, but I never bonded with it in a basic one cab setup. It was always quite mid heavy, with not much bass and stiff trebles. I did mount small Fender tilt back legs to it which made a nice guitar monitor, but the sound became thinner tilted back. That said, it is a very solid well built cab that I've heard was tuned for an EV. Keep in mind though it will be quite heavy with an EV!

More recently I picked up a Bogner cube 1x12 which is a ducted port (short round tube) design. To me it sounds much better (and records almost like a 4x12) at least using my favorite Celestions in it.

10. bettset

bettset Member

had one years ago. it's a good cab :munch

11. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Well I tried this cab today with a Redplate Blackverb and..... it did absolutely othing for me. Sounded 1 dimensional, nasal, flat. I think most of that is the V30 (which many people swear by for Redplates) but it didn't work for me at all.

12. slybird

slybird Member

Ported cabs will not work with every speaker. I don't know what the thiele specs are for a V30, but I bet it wouldn't be the best match for any ported cab regardless of the cabs internal volume.

13. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

I built a copy of Mesa's Thiele cab for a friend with an EV. Two of the three amps I had at that time were OK through it - nothing to get excited about - flat sounding. I thought the TL806 cab was all hype until my third amp made that same cab come alive, a rich and throbbing fullness that made me lust after 2 EV's until sanity and my aching back made moving a 100lb+ cab a no no.

I'm glad you tried the Thiele even to find it wanting - life is too short for generalities or unscratched itches.

Russ

14. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Nicely put Geeze. Had to try it.

15. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

The V30 is not exactly the best speaker for that cabinet design...the Thiele cab was originally designed to host an EVM12L, and its dimensions were finetuned to get the most out of that combinations. In the later years, the EV was replaced by C90, similar in some ways to the EVM12L but still different.

IMHO, probably the best use for a Mesa Thiele cab is as an extension cabinet for Mesa 1x12 combo amps. It complements the combo sound nicely as well as makes it bigger. Of course you can also use a Thiele as a portable stand-alone cab for a head but there are better-sounding 1x12 cabs out there (especially if your amp is not a Mesa).

16. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Black Shadows are most definitely NOT an EVM12L. Two totally different speakers.

17. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

This. The Theile was made for the EVM12L. I wouldn't expect great results with another type of speaker.

18. markedman

markedman Supporting Member

Yeah they are! Black shadow's could be EV, Celestion or Eminence. It's a sticker not a type of speaker, silly.

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

My Mesa Thiele with Celestion made Mesa Black Shadow speaker was dark and smooth. I didn't care for the sound used alone, but paired with another open back cabinet with a brighter speaker it sounded really good.

20. logdrum

logdrum Member

^^^

Thiele cabs with no EVM12L don't really work despite what Mesa says as they don't offer Thiele with EVM12L anymore just the C90. I am actually getting a TRM version which is supposed to be per EV specs. I happen to have 2 more EVM12L. I am curious how it will sound.

Best Small Combo is an open back Compact Mesa Combo and the Theile both with EVM12L. It is louder than even a Recto cab. You get thump of the Thiele and the 3D of the open back. Just dial the presence out, because it can be bright.