Mesa Transatlantic 30 or Rectoverb 25 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GibsonLives, Mar 20, 2015.

1. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Two very different amps in many ways, I know. Here's what I dig about both:

1. Great tones all around (in clips - I sadly haven't gotten to demo either live, and it's not easy to do in my situation).

2. Price (apparently, they may be phasing out the TA series soon, and prices are reflecting this; Recotverb is still about $300 cheaper, though)

3. Size and weight (both 1x12 combos are under my 50lb limit, even thought the TA is slightly bigger and heavier than the ROV)

4. Versatility (though it seems like the TA takes the cake on this front, at least on paper).

I play primarily blues and classic rock styles with lots of creamy mids; I dig Strats, and I'm pretty much just playing at home for the foreseeable future.

So, any ideas? Observations? Comparisons? Thanks.

Steve

2. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I'd say unless you need hard rock/metal tones, the TA30 would be what I'd go with. It's very AC30 voiced on one channel with a great Fender voice and Marshall crunch on the other.

If you need, or just want, the harder tones.... Then the ROV25 would be what I'd get. Heck, I have a Mark V and live on channel 1 (cleans) 80% of the time when I play out but I bought it for channel 3 ;) Channel 1's great tone was just a major plus! I think you may find the same with the ROV, but I'm sure it'll dial in some great classic rock tones on ch2 as well. Just the TA may be more versatile.

3. GibsonLives

Thanks, man. Heaviest I'd realistically be into might be Hendrix, AC/DC, and VH. I'm really not all that interested in playing scooped-mid metal stuff (though I used to love that stuff, and occqsionally still dig listening to it). I'm more of an edge-of-breakup through '60s and '70s high gain kinda guy these days. Funny, I remember a time when I couldn't live without an amp that could give up the brootz, and now, I haven't had an amp like that in over a decade, and don't much miss it. The only thing that makes me lean toward the ROV somewhat is that I've already got a Vox-style amp - a Goodsell Super 17 MKIV - and it's amazing at doing what it does. BUT...the TA has a Tweed setting, plus Marshall-type gain and the Boogie gain. Bottom line: I'd say the deciding factor would be whichever amp will do the '70s-style Boogie liquid lead thing best. If I can cop a Santana/Toto vibe, I'll be happy.

Thanks again, and I hope more folks chime in.

Steve

4. blackie59

blackie59 Member

I play lots of blues/rock and got a Rectoverb 25 head and a 1x12 open back cab and I'm having a blast with it. Pushed mode on channel one and Vintage mode on channel two are killer for blues. Why everyone thinks you can only get metal tones out it is just silly. Try one out and you might be quite impressed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  5. Phletch

Phletch Member

Then you want the ROV 25. On the "vintage" setting. I've got a Mini Rec (same amp without reverb) for going on 3 years now, running a Dot with DiMarzio 36ths, on that "vintage" setting a lot for that early Boogie thing. And it does soooo many other things well; most folks rave about the crunchiness of the "pushed" setting, as well as great cleans (as long as you don't need to be really loud/headroom is an issue). These amps are very versatile.

6. GibsonLives

Very true. I've heard (again, only in clips so far) the versatility of the ROV, and I certainly don't think it's just for metal. It's also cheaper, lighter, and with a slightly smaller footprint, which is perfect for my needs.Honestly, of the two, it's definitely the safer, and quite possibly also the saner, choice...but damn, the TA sounds sweet, and for whatever reason, I've kinda developed a bit of a crush on it over the ROV lol. That might just be an impulse, though, based on some sort of 'cool factor' which, honestly, they both have. One other thing: I wonder if I would (or if anyone else does) miss the midrange knob, which exists on nearly all Boogies (including the ROV), but is absent on the TA. Apparently, they made it work, but since I'm a guy who loves mids, it kinda bugs me that it's not there.

So, yeah, while I'd probably be happy with either one, the ROV is more than likely my best bet, like a sweet and faithful woman who's always there when you need her.

Now, if I can only get that sexy TA bad girl out of my mind!!!

Steve

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The ta series is kind of like a stripped down mini tube modeling amp. So if you are looking for a variety of voices and tones, go for it. If you want a more cohesive amp, than choose the rv25.

For what you want it's really a coin flip.

8. GibsonLives

True, and I'm reasonably sure I'll go with the ROV. Course, it sounds as though they may be discontinuing the TA line (I derive this knowledge from some info Humbucker Music posted on a different thread), and if it's true, there may be a crazy blowout price which sways me.

Like I said, it doesn't sound like I'd be unhappy with either one.

Steve

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

I've got a TA-15 and a Mini Rectifier (non reverb). There is very little overlap between the two, though for classic rock type stuff you can get there with either, but it's easier to get that sound with the TransAtlantic.

10. GibsonLives

SteveO, I've yeard some claim that the ROV25 sounds very different from the Mini-Rec, though. Can anyone who's had experience with both please chime in and let me know how true that is? Thanks.

Steve

11. SteveO

SteveO Member

The reverb circuit changes the sound a little bit, but the core tone is still rectifier at heart and very different from the Hi1 setting on the Transatlantics, which is much closer to a Marshall voicing.

I thought about trading in the Mini Rec for a ROV25 when they were first released, but after sitting down with one I decided that the differences weren't big enough to ditch mine.

12. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

You can't go wrong either way. :aok

I have a TA-30 and a Goodsell Custom 33 and
    they are VERY different beasts.

But.... and this is a big one... the Vintage and
    Pushed modes on the Rectos are suh-weet.

But... so is the Tweed setting and Top Boost
    ... and Hi 1 and Hi 2 modes on the TA's. :dude

Tough choice. :D

13. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Indeed a tough choice... The vintage, clean and pushed modes are fantastic sounding and very dynamic. Fun to play.

I would go by which sounds you think you will use more... As much as I love top boost sounds, I end up using fender style cleans and tight overdrive sounds like the vintage channel on the rectoverb, with pushed as an extra sound for crunch/chime territory which is why I chose the rectoverb

14. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Get both. I have a TA-15 and love it. It's my most played amp. However, the RectoVerb is definitely on my wish list.

15. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Both great amps!

The Rectoverb 25 has a more modern "Mesa" voice while the TA30 is more vintage British sounding. The TA30 will get louder than the RV25 too if you ever get in a loud mix.

I've contemplated getting a RV25 but for my taste the Mark Five:25 was a better choice (currently have one on order). I've had my TA30 combo for a couple of years now. When I got it I had a Handwired AC30 and a Top Hat Club Royale and the TA30 did the "Vox" thing so well I sold both shortly after that.

A lot of times where I would have run a Vox type amp with pedals I'll use the Top Boost setting on the TA30 and it does the same thing. You can defeat the master volume on that channel and just crank the amp. I've done gigs with my Tele plugged straight into the Top Boost channel set to 15 watt mode, cranked the amp and used the guitar volume control to go from clean to crunch and it sounded great.

So I guess you can tell I like the TA30 a lot, but you have to try both and see which voicing you prefer. But if you like Vox type amps you can't go wrong with a TA30.

16. Phletch

Phletch Member

I've got some time on both, albeit more with the Mini Rec. The main difference is between the ROV combo and the Mini Rec with cab. The MR wasn't offered in a combo, so there's one difference. The ROV combo (hence, an open back) comes with Mesa's new Fillmore speaker, whereas the MR is paired often with the matching closed cab with the V30. The difference between the ROV combo and the MR with a V30 in a closed cab is subtle. Compare an ROV head to a Mini Rec through the same cab, there's basically no difference at all.

17. SteveO

SteveO Member

When I was demoing the ROV, I selected the head and a Mini Recto 1x12 to make the comparison as close as possible to my Mini Recto head and 1x12 and came to the same conclusion-except for the reverb, they're pretty darn identical in sound.

18. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I've got the TA-30 2x12. For Rock and Blues it's a keeper. So many tones, you can change it up to suit your mood with a flip of the switch... AC/30, Marshally, Tweedy, BOOGIE - you pick! Oh and 15 watts with master volume to 30 or 40 watts when you need it. Just a very flexible amp. :D I've been gigging one for a classic rock and blues cover band for 2 years. - > I have a Mark V:25 too but the TA is staying. ;)

19. GibsonLives

Thanks, all. It's so awesome to have a forum like this where people with so many different experiences are willing and able to give their feedback :):

I doubt I'll ever sell the Goodsell. Where else could I find such a sweet beast offering the level of nuance and dynamics in such a small, lightweight package (plus the bias-vari tremolo)?

I also have an actual Marshall. A one-watter (DSL1 combo) to be sure, so it doesn't exactly rattle windows, but man, does it deliver the tone!

Which brings me to my point: since I have both Marshall and Vox sounds at my disposal already, I really don't need them again in the TA. Of course, they'll doubtless sound different, and it's all in one portable package, but I don't really need 'em.

Tweed tones would be sweet, too, but I have to remind myself that I initially sought out a Boogie so I could get...wait for it...Boogie tones lol.

It won't be simple, but once the weather finally improves up here, I may need to find my way out to the nearest Boogie dealer, and actually try them out in person (might also give the Express and MK V 25 a spin, too).

As it stands, the practical part of me is leaning toward the ROV combo, and it's slowly winning out over the impulsive bit of my brain telling me how badass the TA would be.

Hopefully, I'll know more within a month or so....

Steve

20. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

if you feel confortable with the tones of your amps then good, get the Mark Mini to fill in that Mesa tone you are missing.