Mesa Trem-O-Verb help question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by arfalax, Jul 16, 2008.

1. arfalax

arfalax Member

Well, I went and did something that upset my amp. I was working on 2 amps at the same time. Went over to look at the rectifier tubes in my Mesa, took one out, got distracted then turned it on because I was going to put 2 Jan Phillips in for rectifiers but wanted to hear it once again with the Mesa tubes. Amp was on for a minute when I realized one of the rec tubes was not in it. Now it won't make music. Turns on, but no sounds.

Any advice on what to troubleshoot? Thanks.

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

That's odd.Without the rectifier tube in,it would be rather soundless,but if they were installed back correctly,there should be no problem.
    Did you inadvertently break off the guide pin and put it back in wrong?
    Make sure you didn't disconnect the speaker wires or anything like that.
    A Tremoverb has two rectifier tubes?

3. arfalax

arfalax Member

Yeah, it's a dual rectifier. I was very careful to put it back in correctly. I have the Jan Phillips pair I can put in if that might help?

I was just unsure if having one of the rec tubes out while turned on, even for a very short time, has an adverse effect on the amp itself.

4. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

i can't think of anything that could happen to the amp with one rectifier tube out.It may simply be that one or both of the tubes you pulled are bad.They may have been on their last legs and jostling them around finished them off?
    Try the other tubes and then look for stuff like blown HT fuses and other obvious things like a bad preamp tube or something one would normally look for when troubleshooting.
    What about footswitch,master turned down,bad guitar cable,things like that.
    Sometimes we get tunnel vision when looking at a problem.

5. mike80

mike80 Member

Try switching to the silicon diodes. If you were using those anyway, pulling recto tubes should have no effect on the sound.

Mesa Rectifiers will run with only one rectifier tube in them. The recto tubes are wired in parallel, so they just share the load, and pulling one of them still leaves one to run on....

6. arfalax

arfalax Member

Well, I came home from work today, tapped both of the rec tubes, fired it up and it's as if nothing ever happened. On a side note, has anyone ever purchased the tube sets for amps that this guy sells on ebay? For the Tremoverb it's $160 for all 12 tubes.

Here's a quote from his site: "We use a combination of vintage tubes from the 1940’s to the present and we test, match and create custom tube sets for our customers at affordable prices."
    [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-Trem-O-Verb-Tube-Set_W0QQitemZ160260423224QQihZ006QQcategoryZ121164QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

7. mike80

mike80 Member

No, but I would recommend against buying from that guy. I've never done business with him, but you would be paying $150-160 for something that you have no clue what you're getting. It could be a mix of different tubes, or it could be used tubes. Without having at least a picture of the actual tubes you're getting, I wouldn't waste my time or money.

$160 would get you a full retube using current production new tubes. JJs are IMO the best sounding tubes in a Rectifier.

8. arfalax

arfalax Member

Ok, thanks for the input. Mine is still sounding great so I'll cross that bridge later.