Mesa Tremoverb - a little late to the party, but better late than never!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mude, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

Just figured that I would post some props for the Tremoverb. I know I'm a bit late in that they have not been made for years I guess. That being said.........

I have been trying an early one ('93 I think???). Huge range of tones in this thing and much better than I was expecting. From pure clean, to gritty, to crunchy to blistering high gain - it is in this beast.

Got together with some friends over the weekend for a jam. Just a bunch of rock and roll stuff. I mostly used the "blues" setting for a gritty clean and then the vintage high gain setting for the other channel. Worked great in the mix and I did not use any pedals at all - just straight in (which is always fun if you have not done it for a while). The other guy was using a modern Marshall and a silverface Twin for comparison.

It is great to have all the seperate controls for each channel. Really completely versitile (including eq, reverb, presense, tremelo, etc.). Just filled with flexible useful capabilities. Not many boutique builders giving this many useful options (perhaps some would suggest that they are tone sucking options - who knows).

Minor complaits: The trem and verb are not great, but are fine, and nice to have. I am surprised they did not put a boost in this amp, but not a problem. I would have liked to have more than channel switching perhaps on the footswitch (just a one-button footswitch).

Conclusion. I am adding The Tremoverb to my list of current bargain amps. You could easily sound great covering many different styles of music with this one IMO.

Evan.

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

If you need a boost you can use the efx loop for that.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have an early 90's one and my ONLY complaint is the lack of a 'solo boost'.. But then again I have that complaint about 90% of the amps out there. My Tverb is awesome and is a lifer for me. Doesn't sound like you're a pedal guy but I use pedals with every amp and the Tverb handles od's and distortions better than 90% of the amps I've owned too. I have other 'remarks' about it , such as mine's a combo and it's heavy , and it's a shame you can't use all 4 channels but only 2 at a time, but only that 1 complaint! I could say loads of positives.

1 of my favorite bands since the day they came out is Dada. I've seen them in concert almost 10x and every single time Michael used his Mesa Rectifier head and cab.. not a Tremoverb but same tones using a compressor , boss pedals,etc with the Tverbs clean like he does. If anyone love's Dada's guitar tone (which I 've never heard a person who didn't) many would be shocked to know what he plays thru!

ERIC

4. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

You might want to give Boogie a call. They probably could add a solo boost on it for a price.

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I think the Tremoverb's came out in '94. That's the year I bought my 212 combo. (now gone)
    That amp was a beast to carry, had so-so reverb, and had way more gain than I would ever use...BUT the cleans with a Strat or Tele, and the overdrives (when dialled in right) were just killin'.
    I wish I had that one back, just to keep at home for recording, etc. I especially love the look of the tan leather head/cab rig, though my black 212 combo was a beauty too.
    Schweet!
    :cool:
    S.
    j

6. Ed DeGenaro

Nope 93. I had mine open the other day and final build date was 93.

7. mude

mude Supporting Member

This one is a head. I have run it through a THD 2x12 and a Bogner 4x12. Sounded good through both. So, while it basically is a full sized head, it it about the same as an XTC or something similar as far as size weight. I have heard that the 2x12 combo is very heavy, but the head seems about normal for a full-size head.

Don't really need a boost for it, but just seems like a logical capability for such a feature rich amp and a nice-to-have.

Eric - I like pedals just fine - justed didn't happen to use them for this particular gathering and the amp works well without them.
    I have tried both a Tim and a Fulldrive and the T-o-verb gobbled them right up (meaning good :) ).

This is a tan one and looks great (although dirty on top from another head that has been sitting on it leaving marks which might bother some) and it has lots of character.

I really like some of the bite and grind to be found on this one. Ended up really liking a Suhr tele with it for example which surprised me (again, just my own lack of understanding prior to playing it frankly). I liked the dirty overdrive sounds of the MB Maverick with a Suhr tele as well by the way (through an extension cab rather than just in the 1x12 combo format).

Again, just wanted to point out that this one covers a ton of ground and still sounds excellent. NOT a do all sound like crab job. Easy to look past Mesa when becoming enamoured with the boutque world, but this is worth considering if you get the chance. Their prices are still quite low and it might even be a future classic! Ya never know.

Evan.

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

Ed - have you had yours for a long time? Has it held up well to your many many alternatives over the years?

Evan.

9. Ed DeGenaro

Had it since the week it came out.
    Lets see...I've had tube changes, had to replace a sreen resistor, and a cap job. other than that it took a hell of a beating and I still use it. last time I had it out of the box the ears on the choke had broken off...but some glue fixed that. :)

10. mude

mude Supporting Member

Sounds like a pretty good record. I think this one is the same era as yours - maybe I will open it up and find an exact date sometime.

12 years and counting of ownership is pretty good for this neighborhood. Surprised that I have not spent any time with this until recently.

Evan.

11. Ed DeGenaro

I don't think they made heads until 94. That's why i ended up with the combo.

12. mude

mude Supporting Member

I am going to guess that this is a '94 then. Not quite as "vintage" as I suspected. lol.

Evan.

13. Ed DeGenaro

Just as vintage seeing that the heads weren't out prior. :)

14. mude

mude Supporting Member

lol. True enough I suppose.

Weird seeing 70's and 80's stuff being called vintage now. It will be the 90's stuff soon enough.

Evan.

15. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

The T-Verb is my favorite (actually only one I like) modern Mesa. This amp is a best kept secret in my mind. I've been through a plethora of boutiquers over the years and only a few amps have remained as staples in my stable and the T-Verb is one. It just a hell of a bunch of amp for the money. Loads of tones and works well with all guitars. I have two T's. I have had my original 2X12 combo since the mid 90's and bought another brand new one to keep when they discontinued them and still have it under it's cover in new condition with hang tags and all to this day. My #1 T-verb has never let me down so I've never had to rely on #2. This amp deserves way more acclaim than it has received. She's a top notch rocker!:dude

16. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Glad to see we are all agreeing on an amp! The Tremo is a SMOKER for sure. I A|Bd the $hit out of it with every thing I could find at Ultrasound, and it could easily hang with anything. While the cleans are not the absolute best, they are VERY good, and the low gain tones are as good as it gets. It even easily hung with the TwoRocks, Bruno S100, and genes tan Dumble at the smooth gain thing. :eek: It also could do high gain as good or better than the Marshalls, Cornfords, Bogners, and Diezals (sp) to my ear. Again though, the low gain, bluesy, spongy type tones in that beast are to die for! One of the best amps of all time IMO. :dude If Mesa would reissue that with a few improvements (Solo, better reverb and access to all 4 modes via footswitch), it would be beyond compare.

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I've had a Tremo around since they first came out, too, and I think it's one of Mesa's best amps ever (I like the Maverick, too, also now departed from their lineup).

They run forever, they look great, and the only thing Tag said I'll expand on is that while the blues channel, the vintage orange channel, and the high gain channel can certainly hang with most boutiques, the cleans can't hang with some of the really high end stuff.

I have had the Tremo in my studio ever since it came out, and I've AB'd it with lots of amps. It's still here today, sitting right next to my TR. It can, IMHO, compete with MANY boutiques on the clean channel, but certainly not all of them.

Where it shines best, IMHO, are the vintage high gain and blues channels, which produce tones that are truly as good as most high end boutiques, of course, they're different, but fantastic.

Because it has that Mesa compression, it is also VERY easy to record, much like some of the Bogner models.

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

With my 1993 Combo I actually like the Vintage Hi-gain the best and the #1 clean channel the 2nd best. Both are great for me.. The Blues and Red are cool but only with certain tubes ,etc for the blues, and more volume for the Red... We all have different tastes but the Tverb has tones for everyone. I've never had anything go wrong with mine but I can't say I've beat that amp like many others I own. I will say though it works perfectly every time.

ERIC

19. mude

mude Supporting Member

Well, late to the party, but seems like there is good company at this party.

Les - that is what I settled into on that particular day. Blues on one channel and Vintage gain on the other. Seemed like a good combination for me.

Evan.

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Totally agree Les. The cleans are its weakest point for sure, but they are still very usable, and better than most Boogies IMO. As you know, I also love the maverick, and my MK III coliseum SMOKED as well!