Mesa Tremoverb vs. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I am thinking about getting one of these amps but I need something versatile to do all sorts of covers. Which one of these amps would be the most versatile?

2. FPFL

FPFL Member

I think the TVerb has better cleans and if you need variety that's a better platform for it but the Marshall has an easier to manage loop where an EQ pedal can make a big difference.

The Tverb does almost everything better except the classic Marshall sound IMO. What sounds are most key for you is really the question.

3. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

both great amps, I'd say the marshall is more prone to failures tho.

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I had both, the Tremoverb is hands down a better built amp and I too think there are more flavors of tone in it as well. The Blues ch is the icing on the cake.

The DSL sound pretty good too, but I had mine apart and it's a crappy cost cutting design.

:knitting

5. Tommyv

Tommyv Member

I've gigged by DSL50 extensively for the past 7 years, no issues. It's now my back up due to the JVM I'm using now. I have a Rectoverb and it does seem more robust than my Marshalls, but not to the extent that makes the Marshalls seem like they're going to fall apart.

6. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

What does the clean channel sound like on the tremoverb??

Also the blue channel, lots of people rant about that channel?? Bigtone

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The clean channel is closer to a Fender clean than the older Mark series Mesas. It's a very good clean and with the reverb it's quite capable of ballads, country or jazz. The blues channel sounds like a Bassman or a JTM45-more of the Eric Clapton blues sound than say ZZTop. I'd have to agree, the Tverb does everything except Marshall crunch perfectly. So if you're doing 70s or 80s arena rock and need that particular crunch it might not work, any other sort of music it's a more flexible and better sounding amp, that is more durable and much easier to fix.

8. mims2

mims2 Member

Is there a good pedal that could be used with the Mesa to get a Marshall sound? Maybe a Radial Tonebone Hot British?

9. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I love the Box of Rock for Marshall tones, (AC/DC style Marshall - JTM45 to JMP non master volume).

Jack

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008