Mesa Tremoverb vs Mesa Lonestar Classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by awalker, May 31, 2008.

1. awalker

awalker Member

Hey Everyone,

I currenty own a mesa lonestar classic 2x12. I love the tones of the amp, but I am really missing high gain tones. I've thought about adding another amp, but not sure I want to lug two around. I hear great things about the tremoverb, lots of guys seem to be using them. Can I get the same warm clean tones like the lonestar, but with added high gain as well? If I sold the lonestar and went with the tremoverb, would I be foolish? also how well do tremoverbs take pedals? thoughts?

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

The Tremoverb has much more in common with the Recto amps than it does with the Lone Star. The clean sounds like Recto clean, which is to say that it's not bad, but IMO it does not have the sweet, warm cleans of the Lone Star. I was in the same position as you - LOVED the clean and mid-gain tones of the Lone Star, but missed having a higher-gain amp and didn't want to lug around a two-amp rig. I got an Egnater Mod50 and have never been happier.

3. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I think you'll find the Lonestar is simply a better amp. Tremoverbs are rectos and there is no doubt about it when you play it. They have a very stiff feel, very tight amps with a gritty kinda quality that is great for hard rock and metal, but not very versatile. The cleans on the Lonestar are much better although I will say that the Tremoverb gets the best cleans out of any recto series amp I've tried.

4. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Not the same clean as a LSC but nicer than a standard dual recto and a smoother recto channel tone also.

The new Roadking II has the Lonestar Classic clean channel and a second blues clean/ British(el34) channel. Then the two Recto channels
    A Roadster is similar without the El34 option. RK II is the best Recto gig amp.

These vids go through the clean channels and modes. Youtube quality but you get a idea of the differences. Does sound better in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89e63GeXcZE&feature=user.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZKaohT9fPA&feature=related

Ch. 3 and 4. Recto high gain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99a48fXpsnk&feature=user

5. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

I changed my power amp tubes in my LSC with Ruby El34 winged "C" tubes purchased from Dougs Tubes and changed this amp considerably.
    Very usable two channel Classic rock amp. Much better second channel and still fantastic boutique like cleans from channel 1.
    I also did the Charles Reader mod talked about over at the Mesa/Boogie Forum that took about a half hour and opened up channel 2 to more to my liking.

6. Miles

Miles Member

I think they both have REALLY substantial gain, but it's the voicing that is different. I find the Lonestar to have TONS of gain, and I'm a rock player. The T-verb is great too, but it's voiced more aggressively, not necessarily less gain. The lonestar is smoother with that older school boogie gain. They both have an assload of gain if you dial them in.

My point, neither are better

7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yeah the Lonestar OD channel sounds like a II/III series Boogie. Loads of gain, but a darker smoother voicing.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Agreed. It also has a great clean channel, and took pedals well. I really wish the bottom end on the lead channel wasn't so flubby. That amp has some great potential. The loop worked well too!

I never heard the Tremoverb, but I have never heard one negative thing about them, so they must be great. Another amp from Mesa which is pretty damn good sounding is the Express 5:50 1x12 combo!

9. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

For my needs the T-verb had the best cleans on a Mesa until the Lone Star.
    If I had to decide between the T-verb and any other Mesa, including the Roadster or Road King it'd be a T-verb. Had mine for 15 years, bought it the day they rolled in to the stores.

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I agree with that one Ed. Cleans are excellent on the T-Verb, but the Lonestar is even better.

The OD on the Lonestar can be flubby if the bass is too high. I think it has enough bass at 8:00-8:30 ... any higher than that and it gets loose.

The OD was a little boxier than the OD on the Mark III I had, in direct comparison. But they were definitely very similarly voiced.

11. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Change the 6l6's to el34's=No Flubbiness.
    It is true that people tend to turn the bass up to settings they would normally use on other amps.
    I find it's best between 9-11:00

12. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

I'm a tremoverb owner and I like the cleans of the lonestar better. That said, I like the tremoverb's distortion better. The blues mode is killer.

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Blues mode has WAY more gain than it needs to, though, don't you think? It's been a while, but it seems like it had enougn for rock.

14. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

It has enought gain for hard rock and even 80's metal on the blues channel, but you can back off the gain. There is a wide range available on that mode, from dirty cleans to hard rock. It also cleans up well with the volume knob on your guitar, unlike some high gain amp channels.

The clean channel will get overdriven too with the gain higher. It's a very versatile two channel amp.

It is voiced similar to a recto, although I'd say it's a smoother warm voicing.

15. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

IF the price isn't an issue, I think a Road King II will give you the best of both worlds IMO. I like it with Yellowjackets/EL84's in place of the EL34's for, what I consider, even more versatility.
    Happy hunting!

Tony

16. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

A. Put EL-34's in the Lone Star.
    B. Put a Radial Engineering Tonebone Pexitube or Hot British btw. your guitar and the amp's clean channel input.
    C. Tweak to your personal preference(s).
    D. Stand back and let it rip.
    ;)

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I like the Tverb easy over the lonestar..... seems like it can do a wider range of tones, from decent cleans to Recto. The blues channel is the best part about the amp. The trem on mine sucked, but I didn't use it anyway.

The Lonestars I've played sounded too thin, but too I hear that changing out stock tubes makes a difference on those amps.

I know that didn't help any, but that's what I felt. :drink :drink

18. andyc

andyc Member

Same here. I just got a Lonestar Classic, and I can't believe the high gain tones this thing has. It has EL-34s in it, courtesy of the previous owner. I thought I would have to hit it with a pedal to get the high gain stuff, but there's more than enough on tap for anything I would do (rock/blues). It's also not the least bit flubby, but that may be the El-34s and the Altec 417-8H speaker (also courtesy previous owner).