1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesa Triaxis / 2:90 Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bilbal, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

Holy smokes is this duo phenomenal. I just set it up and have gone through about 20 of the presets and I cannot imagine needing anymore than them. It is amazing. I can get the cleanest Mark series and the heaviest death metal distortion of a rectifier with the flick of a button.

I know that rack gear isn't of the most popular equipment on TGP but this stuff is so much more than rack gear. It is genuine tube tone with endless versatility. I think I am really going to love this stuff and I can honestly say that I don't regret making the trade I made for it. I traded with member WEAREOURGEAR and not only did our trade go perfectly, the units showed up in better condition than I was hoping. This dude takes care of his gear.

Thanks so much Dave!!!

Here is a quick shot of my new rig:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bill

2. NicDo

NicDo Member

Very nice rig. There is some much the Tri has to offer. i really thought about one when i still had everything racked.

3. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

My Tri/2:90 will beat up your Tri/2:90.

4. reo73

reo73 Member

The triaxis is all fine and good but if you really want to find great tone pair that 2:90 up with a Mesa Studio Pre. Better cleans and better lead in a simpler package.

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

reo73 - I've used a Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig for years, and it ROCKS!!! The 2:90 is the best power amp I've ever owned - it sounds HUGE with
    GT 6L6GE tubes. Love the Studio Pre, but I now use it as a clean platform for my vast pedalboard (which will be getting a Zendrive soon!
    The Zendrive sounds GREAT with the Studio Pre).

I use two Theil ported Agape' Audio 1x12 cabs loaded with Mojotone BV-30H speakers, which sound fantastic with this set up.
    Just thought I'd share...:)

6. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Does Mesa still make the Studio Pre?

7. sws1

sws1 Member

I had that rig for a while, but I spent more time programming it than playing. Plus it was heavy as hell to carry around.

Sounded good though.

8. Brock

Brock Member

I've played this rack at Dave's house. Nice guy to deal with. I was very impressed with the Triaxis. Good score.

9. mdsmith64

mdsmith64 Supporting Member

My Triaxix/2:90 rig isn't going anywhere anytime soon. That right there is a classic combination. Congrats and enjoy!

-Mike.

10. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I have a heavy rack. But I have a buttload of tones on tap. So while the amp dude is fookin' around with his stupid pedals, I've been ready to go.

[​IMG]

11. reo73

reo73 Member

No...it was discontinued in 89 or so but there were plenty made and they can be had for about $400 these days. It is basically the IIC+ preamp section and will simply rip your face off.

12. reo73

reo73 Member

Very cool!!! I have mine paired with a 50/50 and it rocks hard. I also run a few OD pedals in front for more medium gain tones.

13. bilbal

bilbal Member

What kind of rack case is that? I realized today that I need a new one. The Triaxis hangs out of mine about 4 inches. :jo

b

14. tremonti

tremonti Member

Get a G Major effects processor and an ISP Decimator Pro Rack G and you're set!

15. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

That's the Boogie Shock Rack. They're a bit pricy. Perhaps serch one on the eBay. But I wouldn't overlook the gator, and skb shockracks too. Maybe there's others.

16. bilbal

bilbal Member

My rig, as it is now less a multi-fx unit, is relatively noise free. Do you suppose the noise that would warrant the Decimator is from the G major or from any other processor of it's kind? As far as that unit goes, I watched a demo of the stomp box decimator on YouTube and I couldn't believe the amount of noise it stopped. They are truly amazing units but a little on the expensive side. That being said, I have no problem spending the money if it is necessary. God knows I want the best pieces I can buy to match up with my Triaxis and 2:90. They are definitely worth the extra cash to assure they run at optimal performance.

How would you rate the delays available on the G Major? I have a buddy with a 2290. His delay set at 300ms is the perfect effect for leads. Will the G major come anywhere near it? If it will, I'm sold!!!