• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Triaxis N00B poweramp question...

Guitarjon

N00B question: A friend of mine is willing to sell his Triaxis to me. I don't have a seperate power-amp like a 2:90, but I do have a Dual Rectifier, Mark V 35 and Mini Rectifier (also various other amps like Marshalls, ENGLs, Peavey's etc). Will running the Triaxis into one of those amps' FX Return sound good or will there be a considerable difference between that or running it into a seperate Boogie power amp? I can't afford an extra power-amp right now... I know those Mesa poweramps sometimes have voicing options, like 'Modern' and 'Vintage', I just hope I won't miss out on some good tones if I don't have those options on the poweramp I'd be using. Thanks!

JonSick

Mine went through the 6505+ for a bit and then the TSL100. Both sounded fine. I have a couple of power amps now and I do think the Mesa 20/20 sounds the best for the triaxis, but all sounded grand.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Wouldn't running into the Dual Recs loop return give you both its power section modes? Haven't tried it myself, but I'd assume changing the amp from Clean/Vintage to Modern mode would still change the power amp circuitry accordingly, even though you're not using the preamp section. The Dual Rec won't give you SimulClass like a full-size Mark, but that doesn't mean you won't get awesome tones regardless. :D

Guitarjon

Wouldn't running into the Dual Recs loop return give you both its power section modes? Haven't tried it myself, but I'd assume changing the amp from Clean/Vintage to Modern mode would still change the power amp circuitry accordingly, even though you're not using the preamp section. The Dual Rec won't give you SimulClass like a full-size Mark, but that doesn't mean you won't get awesome tones regardless. :D
Interesting! I have no idea if that's the case... Would be cool indeed! What's so special about the SimulClass stuff btw?

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting! I have no idea if that's the case... Would be cool indeed! What's so special about the SimulClass stuff btw?
It's just Mesa's power amp topology for running Class A and Class AB together - "simultaneously". It's mostly a tonal character thing. The classic implementation was an outer pair of EL-34s in Class A triode plus an inner pair of 6L6s in Class AB. That being said, while the Mark V has a 90W Simul-Class power section, the JP-2C doesn't. Petrucci prefers the straight 100W Class AB. So I don't think Simul-Class is "essential". Others might disagree.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
You know, I should try that out to compare. My old 2-channel Dual Rec was converted to a serial loop. Be curious to know what my Simul-Class Mark III sounds like when I send the preamp section into the power amp section of the Dual Rec - and then switch between Vintage and Modern.

Guitarjon

You know, I should try that out to compare. My old 2-channel Dual Rec was converted to a serial loop. Be curious to know what my Simul-Class Mark III sounds like when I send the preamp section into the power amp section of the Dual Rec - and then switch between Vintage and Modern.
That would be very interesting indeed!

unklerussell

Did someone say... delay?
Gold Supporting Member
Yes this is true. I have a 3 channel '02 Rec with a series modded FX loop and a triaxis. A little light on power amps, I hastily ran the triaxis into the return of the Rec one day, and was able to change channels/modes for the power section of the Rec. I didn't spend much time on this rig, because I remember it not sounding very good... .. very colored, not in a good way, IIRC. I could have spent more time adjusting the pre-amp or maybe tossing an EQ in the mix as well.. :dunno

Still light on power amps, I run the triaxis out into a Power Station 2 for now and I am loving the results.

Trending Topics