Mesa Triaxis preamp verses Peavey Rockmaster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

For those of you that use rackmounted equipment, what are the differences in sound in these two amps? I know that the Mesa is a lot more but I see a company called FJA that does mods on the rockmasters.

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

The Triaxis can emulate ANY boogie preamp and is pretty amazing. The peavey isn't quite so versitille

3. mike80

mike80 Member

I agree with the Triaxis statement. Depending on which version you get, some have the Rectifier models in them, and some don't. I know a guy who has a Triaxis, and it's a bad beast. I thought about selling my Recto head and buying one.

On the other hand, I don't have any experience with the Peavey, but I'm not very fond of their amps.

4. hecticone

hecticone Member

Triaxis is a great unit. Used to run one with a seymour duncan power amp. Huge sounds.

5. mims2

mims2 Member

What model seymour duncan power amp was it and what are some other good power amps for this? Also, which version has the rectifier models in it?

6. SFW

SFW Member

The 2.0 has the Recto mod. I used to run my Triaxis with a Mesa 2:90. Some times I really miss that rig, but my back doesn't. And for the record, the Peavey doesn't come close tone wise to the Mesa.

[​IMG]

7. hecticone

hecticone Member

It was the ktg-2100

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Picked up a Rockmaster for 79$ a few years ago! Its not a fair comparision considering the price point really. The triaxis is a lot more pre amp by design. That said the Rockmaster does some great classic rock, hard rock to metal tones. Takes a bit of fiddling but Ive gotten some killer tones out of it. Right now its mated to a Classic 50/50 and a 2x12 G12K-100 loaded cab. This set up is pretty impressive for 80's metal and such. Loud as all hell too. Its a simple rack with just a pedal board in the loop for delay,reverb and wah. All I need really. Hey,it might not come close tonewise to the Mesa but then again its not doing "Mesa" ! I'd have no problem sitting this rig next to a Mesa though.;) Bob

9. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

The Rockmaster is a hell of a preamp! FWIW I'm NOT a fan of PV gear.

Tony

10. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Had a rack with a Triaxis and a Marshall JMP-1 for about 10 years. Triaxis's are incredible sounding, and very very versatile. You can also perform realtime program changes via an expression pedal. Very powerful little units.

11. mims2

mims2 Member

I have seen some on ebay that say 2.0 with rect mod, some say phat mod, and some say no mods. What are the differences in these?

12. FPFL

FPFL Member

If I remember right, the rockmaster is not hugely different from the pre-amps that followed it in the 5150 amps, now 6505 amps. I borrowed one years ago when my amp was in the shop.

Not the most diverse beasts but absolutely toneful for what they were designed for. The name is a hint!

-P

13. mims2

mims2 Member

I just bought a Peavey Rockmaster locally but havent used it yet. I am waiting on my Mesa 20/20 power amp. If I still get a Triaxis, is there a way I control both amps through a MIDI pedal board?

14. Zero

Zero Member

My big problem with the Rock Master is the shared EQ for the Crunch and Ultra channels.

15. mims2

mims2 Member

dang, hopefully that won't be too much of a problem for me.

16. cram

cram Member

I had a rockmaster for years. It worked well for me. As I understand the comparison against marshall's similar project - peavey ran their tubes hotter. or atleast that's what I was told when shopping for one in the early nineties. I don't know about the mesa triaxis at all, but that preamp point is what I remember about that unit.

17. mrmax

mrmax Member

:agree

18. mrmax

mrmax Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepingtiger [​IMG]
    The Rockmaster is a hell of a preamp! FWIW I'm NOT a fan of PV gear.

Tony

:agree
    You can be anyone you want to be ...the second time aound-Timothy Leary ___ I give Peavey points for constantly re inventing their products, reaching out to musicians on a budget, and offering something for everyone. In all fairness I think that they do a Hell of a great job of keeping several hats in the ring and providing satisfaction to consumers on many levels. What more could you ask for?...Maybe a custom shop for starters...but that's a whole 'nother discussion. Cheers!

19. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

Has anyone here had either of the FJA mods done on the Rock Master?