Mesa Triple Crown TC-100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nicolasrivera, Nov 16, 2017.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I saw a post by someone who regularly uses Mesa amps and tubes and he said he always leaves the amp on for 24 hours to break in a new set of tubes.

Mike McDonald and starbelly like this.
  2. somedude

somedude Member

I use mine in normal mode because I find tight too... tight.

I also run the bass and mids at about 2:00 with the treble a little below 9:00.

I'm not going for a modern metal tone, just posting those settings to show that it can sound fine without having the treble/presence jacked through the roof.... which I'd personally find ear piercing.

Could be a number of things. Your gain could be way too high, your treble could be way too high, your speaker output set to 4ohm when it's plugged into an 8ohm cab, you could have a crap cable, your guitar could sound like crap (garbage in=garbage out), you're standing over the amp instead of in front of the amp.

Try running the channel master around 12:00 on channel 2, then adjust channel 1 and 3 master so that they're balanced against channel 2.[/quote][/QUOTE]

3. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

I'm primarily a metal and rock player, and thus tight mode is what I generally prefer. The settings you describe sound like it would produce pure mud based on my last experience with the TC-100. I'm wondering what the problem is. Again, I'm thinking it's because I was playing super quiet.

Gain was almost all the way up on channel 2, and at around 6 on channel 3. Not sure about the speaker output; I didn't hook up the amp to the cab (vertical Recto 2x12). Likely not the cable, nor the guitar. I was seated in front of the amp/cab. I just want to go back, haha.

4. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Yes, Starbelly mega free concert extravaganza :dude:rockin:dude

starbelly likes this.
  5. somedude

somedude Member

Ah. When you said "modern metal" I assumed you meant all midrange with a couple of noise gates.

The band I'm playing with is pretty classic rock, so I prefer the loose mode because it brings out what I'll call a "woodier" sound in the guitar... which is a term that has no real meaning to anyone but me, but it's what I hear.

For metal I'd hit the tight mode. It's one of the reasons I bought this amp... the ability to go from old school rock to thrash on a single amplifier, and sound authentic in the process.

On channel 2 your gain and treble is too high. I just copied your settings into mine and it's mushy. Adding treble/presence and reducing bass put more of a point on the attack, but did little to clean up the mud. Try setting the gain on channel 2 by putting it all the way up, then back down the gain down by chugging on the low E until you feel it tighten up. For me with a JB in the bridge of my Les Paul that happens around 3:00. I usually run channel 2 around 1:00 because it serves as my "old man sound" while channel 3 is my "heavy metal chugging guitar sound".

I don't know if you've used a Mesa before, but on a Mesa the treble knob typically acts as a gain knob for the high midrange. High treble with high gain settings generally don't work well together. Additionally, the presence knob acts as sort of a fine tuning control for the treble knob that's focused up in the treble/harmonic range.

Gain around 6 on channel 3 is pretty reasonable. 1:00 is pretty good for high gain rhythm and 3:00 is where it starts getting really legato and lead playing requires very little effort. Try manipulating the treble between off and 2:00 while playing. You can use it to define how much attack/sizzle you want on the front of the note, then use the presence knob to dial in the top end harmonics. Too much and your note attack starts to dominate the fundamental. Too little and you might not get enough edge on your note.

I just finished playing and for awhile I ran the tone controls at 6/6/6 because I thought it was funny, and it worked pretty well, but I wound up backing the treble down to 10:00 to tighten up the response and get more clarity on my notes. Too much presence also adds an annoying (to me) top end, so I back that off to around 10:30.

I just spend awhile riffing LoG on channel 3 settled into using;
    gain around 1:30 (tight on)
    treble 10:30
    Mids 1:30
    Bass 1:30
    Presence 10:30
    Master 11:00

I don't find the TC to be as touchy as other Mesa EQs in that there's a wide variety of settings that are musical, but they're similar to the Stiletto in that they benefit from higher bass/midrange and low treble/presence settings.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. stratzrus

After reading your post, I just glanced over to see my current settings on channel 3:
    Gain 2:15 (normal on)
    Treble 12:45
    Mids 12:30
    Bass 12:00
    Presence 12:00

These settings work for me using a Gibson ES-333 with Duncan Antiquities and with the output knob at 9:30 or below since I'm using it primarily as a bedroom amp. If I turned it up I'd go to tight. Output is currently at 9:00.

I tend to set the tone controls at noon and then tweak them by ear until I get the tone I'm looking for. With this amp the settings didn't need to vary much.

Clean is:
    Gain 12:00 (normal on)
    Treble 12:00
    Mids 12:00
    Bass 11:00
    Presence 8:30
    Master all the way up.

Lo channel is:
    Gain 12:00 (normal on)
    Treble 11:00
    Mids 11:00
    Bass 10:45
    Presence 10:30

Again, these settings work for me at bedroom to living room volumes. Concert volume would be an entirely different story.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    DC42 and starbelly like this.
  7. starbelly

It's definitely woolier. I think it would be great for Hum type sounds, but I'd need to tinker with it a bit more.

I'm very familiar with the Mark series. I know the TC manual says to back off on treble and presence in low volume settings, but backing off gave me even less bite. I love the tone in this video and want to replicate it:

I've previously been able to quickly dial in great tones with the TC series, but these last few times have been pretty underwhelming. I'll need to try again.

8. stratzrus

If you pause the video when the faceplate is visible you can see his settings. The one thing you can't see is where he has the guitar's volume knob which has a major effect on tone.

9. somedude

somedude Member

1) I thought you said you were after a modern metal tone? That clip is pretty old school.

2) Just copy the settings. I tried them out and they more or less nail the sound.

Ch. 2 Settings
    Gain 9
    Treble 7
    Middle 5
    Bass 5
    Presence 6.5
    Master 7

Ch. 3 Settings
    Gain 6.5
    Treble 6
    Middle 5
    Bass 5
    Presence 7
    Master 6

3) Understand that the guitar tone is double tracked with two mics on the cab, so what you're hearing is 4 tracks blended together, plus a bass filling in the low end. Channel 2 is on the right and channel 3 is on the left.

10. starbelly

Yeah, they list the settings in the video (I think I posted them in this thread, haha).

I like modern metal tones, but I also really like these. I'll probably be going back and forth depending on what I'm doing.

That's very true. I think the very beginning with the hard-panned tracks is a good reference point for what I want.

11. stratzrus

Has anyone played both the TC-50 and TC-100?

I'm really tempted to get the 100 but wonder if there's actually a significant difference between the two.

12. starbelly

I have!

Honestly, I would go for the 100. For $300 more, you get 50 more watts, bigger transformers (more low end and thicker tone), and per-channel power attenuation. This is in the same form factor too (although the 100 is 11 lbs heavier).

Playing the 100, it's immediately noticeable that it's a thicker, fuller sound (even in 50 watt mode).

LeftyGtrPlr and stratzrus like this.
  13. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

wondering if i should wit for a 50 watt combo with individual power soaks.....i don't play big venues anymore

14. starbelly

I'm not sure that will ever happen; the power soak is likely only going to be on the 100.

15. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

i think your right....but they should had offered both available in combo form, and both should had power soak feature imo...don't you agree

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. Seth L

Seth L Member

I've never been a Mesa fan, just too many many knobs and switches, but for some reason, I really get that one. That's a hell of an amp. I'ts got to weigh about 125 lbs, though.

17. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

Use the built in cab clone if you go with a TC50. You can control the volume fine with that. I have a stand alone cab clone, Suhr RL with two notes cab, and the TC50 with built in cab clone. I will say the built in cab clone is WAY better than the stand alone. I use the Suhr RL and two notes cab live, but after testing the built int cab clone on the amp, it will do the job just fine. The power soak on the 100w head is a cool feature though.

Dr Git likes this.
  18. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Where are folks with the the TC-100? They have a great feature set and the clips I've heard of the TC-50 sound pretty great.

Has anyone compared them to a Friedman, Bogner, or Marshall?

Has anyone gigged with the TC-100? Is it cutting through like a Friedman, Bogner, or Marshall?

What about the 'thump of the amp'; seems a lot of amps have 'depth/resonance' these days? Does this one bring the bottom end or can get get punchy/thumpy while staying tight?

Very interested. Thanks!

19. wabugi

wabugi Member

Hello everyone! I have a question to the TC-100 owners (and maybe TC-50 owners too).

I received my second TC-100 today. I had to send the first one back because the cooling fan was ridiculously loud. The new one is much better.

However, I have an issue with the CLEAN channel master. Maybe you can tell me if this is normal. The CLEAN channel is absolutely muted when the channel master is below 8:30. As soon as it reaches 8:30, the sound is instantly there. The HI and LO channels have a seamless volume increase across the whole pot. The clean master does start at 8:30 and is instantly as loud as the other channel masters would be at 8:30.

What do you think?

@JYD I do own a Marshall JVM 410 but I did not compare them yet. Maybe I can tell you more later.

Holzar88 and JYD like this.
  20. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Interested in your companion with the JVM when you get to it.