Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dilznik, Nov 26, 2016.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I tried something similar for awhile (channel 1, master on full, use the gain to control volume)... but, ultimately I decided I liked it with some (or a lot) of dirt on it.

I found myself not using channel 1 because I was sitting on the blue channel all night and just using my guitar's volume from clean to lead, then kick on the amp's solo boost whenever I needed to punch through for a solo.

So... I eventually decided to dial in something similar to a driven Deluxe on channel 1, so I can use channel 1 the same as channel 2 (clean to lead, plus solo boost).

FbIsNotE, Dunconia and stratzrus like this.
  2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

When playing with my friends (everything from James Brown/Funkadelic to early Helmet/Biohazard) the Clean channel with Drive engaged using the guitar's volume like you said is the way to go, but for Jazz I like the traditional Wes Montgomery/Kenny Burrell type tones and for that I need the cleans to be dirt free.

It's wonderful that the TC-50 does both so well. As I've said, I wish the Drive switch was MIDI swichable but the Grid Slammer does a very good approximation.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    starbelly likes this.
  3. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    The clean channel, on it’s own, can be a bit “plainish” as it doesn’t have as much character as some of my other amps. It is an excellent pedal platform though and I tweek the sound with very low gain drives like a Timmy or a Klon. Then, it starts to shine.

4. Dunconia

Dunconia Supporting Member

To approximate a deluxe, are you scooping the mids?

starbelly likes this.
  5. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Ah, makes sense. I was using the stock EL34's. I had not tried anything else.

6. somedude

somedude Member

One of the things I really dig about the TC-50 is the ability to switch between old school and new school. It's the least pigeonholed I've ever felt.

stratzrus likes this.
  7. somedude

somedude Member

The clean channel suffers a little bit with the EL34s. A little thin and not as "big" sounding as 6L6s.

MJ Slaughter and tjontheroad like this.
  8. somedude

somedude Member

A bit. It's more "Deluxe-ish" than authentic Deluxe.

At the end of the day it's still plugged into Vintage 30s so it's going to have that Celestion sound all over it.

That said, the best sounding Deluxe I've ever heard had a G12M-25 in it and was being goosed by a Tone Bender... so my opinion of what a Deluxe should sound like may differ from what others are after.

Dunconia likes this.
  9. Dunconia

Dunconia Supporting Member

I totally get that. I run the TC through a UA Ox Box so I can add the deluxe cab with a Jenson speaker for that sound. The cab alone gets you most of the way there. I haven’t really been playing with the drive on but I think I might start. I’m just now getting into using my guitar volume and it’s like a revelation.

10. stratzrus

I've been tempted to try the 6L6s to see if the clean channel would sound better but so many people have said the gain tones sound better with the EL34s and I really like the cleans with them so I've been following the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" axiom.

How do you feel about the gain tones with the 6L6s?

11. tjontheroad

I'm running 6L6 tubes now. I'm about to use it on audition. Time to crank it up!!!

stratzrus likes this.
  12. stratzrus

How are the gain tones? Clean channel with Drive? Channel 2? Channel 3?

13. tjontheroad

I’d say excellent. They’re smoother than with EL34s and not as glassy. More feel from the amp too.

stratzrus likes this.
  14. stratzrus

Nice! Sounds like they're worth a try.

tjontheroad likes this.
  15. somedude

somedude Member

If you've tried both 6L6 and EL34 in other Mesas it's pretty similar.

EL34s bring out the crunch, but they cost when it comes to big, heavy palm mutes and the cleans are a little thinner and more one dimensional.

6L6s bring out the cleans and the heavy chugging rhythm sounds with more dynamics and a bigger response. But, they won't produce a convincing crunch the way an EL34 does.

Lead is a toss-up. EL34s are more cutting and compressed. 6L6s are clearer and more dynamic. Both are good, just different.

16. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I have gas for a TC ...kinda really like the 100watt w/individual power soaks. I know i love this similar feature in my TA-30 which i think is the best amp i ever owned in my 45 years playing. I dig the 3 channels though and i hear the reverb is awesome too. Sounds like a killer amp. I'm one of the original Mesa guys, bought my first one in 1977. They have come a long way, awesome stuff

stratzrus, tjontheroad and geoangus like this.
  17. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

DO IT!

[​IMG]

Holzar88 likes this.
  18. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Member

Just picked one of these up. Should be here later in the week. Anyone have speaker preferences, or is the V30 the way to go. Kind of curious to try greenbacks, considering this has a Brit flavor. V30s have always made me happy with my Mesas in the past, though.

19. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

V30s are good all around speakers for the TC. I lean toward more old school tones so I like mine with Greenback voiced speakers. I have Greenback reissues in my 412, and Creamback 75s in my open back 212. Both cabs sound great with the TC!

Redmaz and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  20. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Member

Good to know. Really loving greenbacks lately.