Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dilznik, Nov 26, 2016.

1. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

Is the TC-50 self biasing?

2. Dunconia

Dunconia Supporting Member

There is a bias switch. Mesa doesn’t like anyone messing the bias so it’s fixed. The switch is for different PT’s

vintagefox likes this.
  3. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

Does anyone know how the TC-50 would pair with an EVH 2x12?

4. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    The honeymoon continues after buying my TC-50 combo 1 year ago today. Running 6L6 tubes and swapping in a G12 Neo Creamback has made this amp into a powerhouse. My amp GAS is cured.

stratzrus likes this.
  5. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Member

Same here though I haven't really tried 6l6s yet but probably will now that you reminded me. The TC50 has everything I need in an amp including great sounds running a MFX board with the 4CM. No noise, easy setup.

tjontheroad likes this.
  6. tjontheroad

My only wishlist for improvement is with clean tones. It sounds nice clean, but isn't very defined or with character. Cowboy chords just sound kinda bland lacking 3D bubbliness. Could be just the combo cab isn't pushing enough air.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  7. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

An interesting tidbit that I came across that I thought should be noted in the main TC threads that might explain some of the varied experiences people are having.

The Reverb Tanks are NOT THE SAME for the Combo vs. Head

TC50 / 100 Combo = Long Tank (same as Electradyne and many others) https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/reverb-tank-standard-tank-for-tube-reverb-circuits.html

TC 50 / 100 Head = Short Tank (same as Mark V:25 )https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/reverb-tank-short-tank-for-tube-reverb-circuits.html

8. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

There are a couple of people over on the Boogie Board that have mentioned using extension cabs gives that 3D bubbliness. One guy even blasphemed and said it was as good as a Fender! Surely he will burn.

starbelly and tjontheroad like this.
  9. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

I've had good luck on the clean running the gain higher than you might think. With single coils, the gain still reads as "clean" until about 3 o clock on the dial, just with more fatness/compression. Even in the Drive mode with the gain at 12 to 1 o clock I get into similar territory. Almost more of a Bassman/JTM kind of clean. Sounds really great, and I find this sound pairs a little nicer with the gain channels than going for the more spanky clean Blackface type sound. Haven't experimented too much with humbuckers on the clean side, as my main instrument is a Strat.

stratzrus and FbIsNotE like this.
  10. tjontheroad

I have been tempted by adding an extension cab. But, I’d hate to move it around with the combo just for better cleans. I do think more moving air in the room would make a big plus.

Yeah, I need to mess more with my settings. I’m a bit reluctant to do so because I also use the clean channel as a pedal platform with drives from my Helix. It really sounds good that way as I have it set now.

stratzrus and FbIsNotE like this.
  11. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

I am disappointed in your lack of dedication to your TONEZEZEZZZZZZZZZZZ! :p

JK of course. Totally understand not wanting to lug a second cab. Like just about every amp I can think of, the TC has potential beyond it's stock configuration. I play a TC50 Head with a 2x12 so my mind drifts easily to speaker / cab swaps.

If you ever do entertain the idea of another cab or speaker change I have really enjoyed my TC50 with the Eminence Maverick FDM attenuators I loaded in my 2x12. They are completely different from a standard attenuator in that the amp pushes directly to the speaker with nothing in between. At max attenuation they are just a really inefficient speaker (around 91 dB) and they bring out some amazing things with this amp as it's being driven in it's upper output range.

tjontheroad likes this.
  12. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

I use a 1x12 widebody close back cab with my TC50 combo and it adds depth, punch, etc....sounds great.

stratzrus and tjontheroad like this.
  13. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

I suppose I should also add, for cabinets I am using an older Boogie open back wide body with an EV12L, which on its own is pretty overbearing but in a band just sounds totally ace, and a Boogie vertical 2x12 with 80's G12-65's.

stratzrus likes this.
  14. tjontheroad

I have swapped the stock V30 for a G12 Neo Creamback. I much prefer that speaker and the reduced weight. I’ve tried running the combo speaker plus my 1x12 V30 loaded Bad Cat cab. Much more punch with the extra cab. So, I’m tempted but not enough to lug it out of my basement every rehearsal or gig lol.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  15. Dean Riley

Dean Riley Member

I agree with this... Running the gain higher, and the trebble higher... The last couple days been digging the gain at 2-3 and trebble at 2-3

16. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

Absolutely. With my single coils and EV speaker I can't get away with my treble that high, but pumping the gain up definitely brings the mids and bass more forward. I like a pretty mid heavy sound, so when in normal mode I have the bass around 10 o clock, and all other controls right around noon. Nice fat sustaining clean tone, with a more "natural" progression into the drive channels than any other channel switcher I've personally used.

How are you guys getting on with 6V6 tubes? I tend to lean my tones on the "vintage" side for the gain channels (gain never much past 1 o clock, mids never under 1 o clock) and absolutely love the tone with the EL34's but would love to be able to turn the output knob a bit more. Halfway seems like the sweet spot for me tone wise, but 10-11 is more realistic in the volume level.

How does the tone differ with the 6V6's?

17. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Hey guys, does the Mesa Triple Crown combo come with casters....mine didn't, I got it used off ebay. Can I buy them

18. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

What are these "cowboy chords" of which you speak?

Okay I looked it up.

I also don't know what "3D bubbliness" is but since I use the clean channel for Jazz tones which most here would consider dark, or funk tones where, to me, clean punch and notes that cut are probably more of a priority than bubbliness, that's not something I noticed is missing.

I have to say that using a closed back 1x12 with a Forte 3D 2x12 has given me some really great tones. I'm going to just be using the 1x12 for the next couple of weeks and will have the opportunity check out what it can do in a more portable configuration. Portablility is a priority for me. The Benson HRD pine cab with a Celestion Century Vintage Neo is incredibly light. If I can make that and the 35 lb. head work as a rig I'll be pleased as punch.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    tjontheroad likes this.
  19. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

Yes and yes. Go to the Mesa site and you can buy them from their online store.

20. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Thanks JG