Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dilznik, Nov 26, 2016.

1. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Yes my combo came with casters.

I've wanted to get a Forte cab or the new Avatar versions. They look very cool

stratzrus likes this.
  2. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

tjontheroad likes this.
  3. Dean Riley

Dean Riley Member

I picked up a mesa 5 band eq... Running this in the loop makes a huge difference FYI - especially at low volume. Makes it very, very versitile!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    rck likes this.
  4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I've noted that multiple cabs, or more than one 12" speaker seem to bring out the tones on this amp.

Strat_lover is running three 12s like me and the tone is glorious. The problem is that the Forte 2x12 is heavy as hell, even with two Neos in it so I'll probably not gig with it unless it's a large venue that pays well enough to cover cartage costs.

With the Benson cab and the Forte, the cleans are the best I've ever had but I think it's all about the right combination of gear; the right amp with the right speakers in the right cab with the right guitar strung with the right strings and the right pickups. The TC-50, going into the Benson 1x12 and Forte 2x12 all loaded with Celestion Century Vintage Neos, being fed by my Gibson ES-333 with Duncan Antiquities and Magnan Pure Nickel strings the cleans sound absolutely glorious. With another guitar, other pickups, other speakers...maybe not so much.

Dunconia, Mincer and tjontheroad like this.
  5. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

I should've clarified, I don't run all cabs at once. The EV gets me a big sound for a single speaker cabinet, and while not light, is very space efficient in smaller stages/vehicles.

I actually have yet to use the G12's on a gig, but at home (at band volume) I really like how the sculpt the tone of the TC more towards the vintage side of life with the thick mids/warm highs of the speakers. Just a great rock guitar sound. I love my TC more every time I plug into it. Such a great amp.

stratzrus likes this.
  6. Dunconia

Dunconia Supporting Member

It’s not an option. Casters come with the combo. Period. $330 for shipping?! That doesn’t sound right. I think your seller was full of crap.

7. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

yeah normally I would agree with the cost, but the guy had FedEx box it up for him....I was actually surprised it got here safe. AS soon as I opened this huge box that would had easily fit 2 of these amps, maybe 3, that's how big the box was....hence why it cost a ton. I wouldn't doubt it cost him at least $250....if I boxed it, it would had been about $90....oversized box is what drove the cost up as well as paying FedEx to do it....yeah he kept the casters as your not the first to tell me....cheers

8. Dunconia

Well, Congratulations. It’s a great amp. I have since bought other amps because I wanted to “start a collection”...

All I can say is I only play one amp.

9. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I also have a TA-30 combo which I love …. it has some flaws like you can't turn up the reverb very much cause it makes noise and I wish they had added 2 controls....1 for tightening up the bass like a resonance control and a middle control....if those were fixed i'd say I liked it as much as the TC-50 but more geared towards classic rock to say Queenryche...not near as much gain as a TC-50 but my 2nd fav amp even with these flaws

Alchemist XP and Dunconia like this.
  10. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

11. Dunconia

The TC has its flaws too. I stopped using the Reverb and effects loop. I might still use the Reverb if the head had the long spring tank. I don’t know. I definitely get a volume drop and tone change with Reverb though.

sloanthebone and Dr Git like this.
  12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

A hotone fat buffer in the loop will fix the loop issue. Haven't found a solution for the reverb tone suck though.

Dr Git and Dunconia like this.
  13. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

The TA-30 is one of my all time favorite amps. I put an EQ pedal in the loop to fix the EQ issues you mention and it works like a charm. There are few amps that deliver as many fantastic different tones as the TA-30.

Dr Git likes this.
  14. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

i'll give that a go...what eq's are decent....should I condider a Mesa Flux w/5 band eq?

15. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure that one's a good one and would do the job ... I currently use the MXR 10-band one and when I use the Helix in the loop of The TA-30 for effects only, I use the digital simulated Mesa 5 Band EQ and it sounds great.

That amp, with boosted Mids, sounds a lot better to me and it's the one amp of Mesa I have played (I've played a lot of Mesa's) that doesn't have the problem of the EQ stack congesting the amp if set to high ... especially the bass.

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have the Mesa 1x12 cab with an EV but the weight is a deal breaker for me. I greatly prefer my previously posted George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe cab (pine) with a Celestion Century Vintage Neo. Nice solid and tight bottom end and it's so light I'm still always surprised how light it is every time I pick it up. Around 20 lbs. The head is a perfect fit for that cab.

[​IMG]

17. rmg471

rmg471 Member

Just got my TC-50 combo. It has EL-34s in it, but I bought a pair of 6v6s to go with it. Any experience with the 6v6s? This thread is a mile long.

Also, I can’t believe how this thing sounds. I back the presence off to about 9 o’clock to get rid of the harsh top end. Gets me near enough to Marshall land, but works so well with guitar volume control. So far, so good.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  18. DETRONATI

DETRONATI Silver Supporting Member

What is the issue with the effects loop?

19. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Tubes are a matter of preference. I liked the 6V6 tubes least because it made the amp sound too compressed. EL34 tubes give you the crunchy tones. I’m using 6L6 tubes as I like how it gives the amp more feel and bottom and.

After you break in the amp and speaker, the harshness in the top end will go away.

Dunconia likes this.
  20. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Some guys have had problems with the effects loop that they haven't figured out how to resolve. Not everyone is having the issue but that's the short version.