Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dilznik, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Chasintonez

Chasintonez Supporting Member

How does it do with Klon style pedals for push? Something like the Rockaway Archer or Jeff Archer from J Rockett. Or maybe a Golden Pearl drive or Sir Compre compressor by Friedman for push.

Another pedal type that I can see trying to get more of a John Mayer style clean would be the J Rockett Lenny or the Vertex Steel String for a different style clean for variation.

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

You don't really need many if any pedals with this amp, IMO. I only really use a boost and a delay and it works very well with my setup. Haven't tested a Klon type with but I'm sure it'd work good. The amp has a lot of good natural compression and drive.

3. Chasintonez

How does the solo boost work on the TC. Does it take the same setting and just give it more volume or does it add eq or gain?

4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

5. somedude

somedude Member

Adds volume.

Makes it so any channel can solo, and once you get used to it it makes pedals start to sound like the uninspiring weak sauce that they are.

Jaji and J Factor like this.
  6. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Silver Supporting Member

My recollection from reading the manual is that it works like a substitute master volume knob that is equal to or greater than the actual master volume knob. You can't set it below the master but you can set it higher. Hit the Solo foot switch and it's in the circuit across all the channels. It works well. But if you tweak your master volume, you're going to need to account for the Solo knob too.

7. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Yep, the solo boost is basically a second global master volume control. You can set it for however much additional volume you want. I wish all amps had something like that.

8. Chasintonez

Yeah..
    The Solo Boost sounds very handy. If more gain is needed I can see going to Channel 3 for leads or just hitting a Klon style pedal or a transparent drive to boost the 2nd channel for leads to stay in that tonal character and just adding a little more gain with the pedal.

Everything sounds pretty positive with the TC. The loop issue sounds like it was addressed with the Hotone Fat Boost if needed. It is a fairly inexpensive pedal and also has some eq capabilities to do a little tone shaping.

The Cab Clone...well is the cab clone. I would use a Suhr IR load box instead.

9. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

This amp has a ton of gain, IMO its not necessary to use pedals really. If you have the tight mode on its basically like throwing an OD in front of the amp but even better than most pedals. You can do whatever you like but for the most part I just boost the amp for more sustain and sometimes I'll use my OCD to thicken it up but for the most part I could live without either one. Channel 2 and 3 both have tons of gain and natural compression.

MkIIC+ likes this.
  10. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Gold Supporting Member

Between the Volume on each channel, plus the Output control and Solo Boost it's like there's....many ways to set the, umm...volume on the amp.

I love it.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  11. somedude

somedude Member

+1.

For awhile I held onto using a Tubescreamer out of habit, but eventually I just turned the gain on the amp up a bit higher so I didn’t need it for leads and rolled my guitar volume back a bit for rhythm.

12. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

With 6V6s and the reverb at about noon this sounds as good as any Princeton without the fartiness and without the volume depending on where you put the grand master

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

Yep, the Clean channel with the Drive switch engaged has some great overdrive tones. My one regret about the amp is that the Drive switch isn't MIDI switchable. That would be a major improvement.

14. MkIIC+

Have you tried those setting but with the master back and the gain closer to noon or 1 PM?

My recollection is diming the master and using the gain as the volume is intuitive but not necessarily the best use of the circuit.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  15. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I am going to try that later today. The manual says the same thing as a matter of fact. I landed with that setting actually more as a way to balance the volume between the different channels. For whatever reason the Green channel has a drastic drop compared to the other two channels with their master back at like 3pm

I guess I'm running the all the channel masters kinda high to tell you the truth. I do love the endless tweaking that's possible with this amp. Some people may not like it, but I do

FbIsNotE likes this.
  16. MkIIC+

As Mesa Boogies go, it's relatively easy to dial the Triple Crown in as long as one is mindful of how the Tone knobs are related to the Gain knob. They don't work well if they are ALL cranked up.

IMO, the volume balance issues are a function of differences in compression and in turn the dynamic range between channels. In other words, if you are dialing up the Gain thereby compressing the hell out of the Hi and Lo channels while leaving the gain back on the Clean channel and preserving dynamics...you're going to have a harder time with volume balance as the Clean channel will have more volume spikes when you hit the strings hard. I believe the answer is to have a little more parity on the Gain control between channels. Maybe a little less so for Hi if that's you're lead channel and you're already juicing the volume a bit. So more between the Clean and Lo channels when they are rhythm channels and you're bouncing between them a lot.

ifallalot likes this.
  17. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I just wanted to come back to this as recently I got a Tumnus Deluxe (Klon type) and ran it into the amp. I'll just say its amazing with this amp. The frequencies it hits in regards to the midrange works really well with this amps midrange (it has more mids than most Mesa's to begin with). Best way I can describe it is the pedal sort of just becomes part of the amp and gives you a ton of tight attack and 'bite' to the sound. It sounds really great in channel 2 when its on a breakup range or even the lower gain side of channel 3. I tried it with a Tele and a low output PAF humbuckers and I gotta say its probably the best overdrive sound I've made on this amp yet.

Dunconia and ifallalot like this.
  18. somedude

somedude Member

With most Mesa’s I aim to have the master on the loudest channel around 12:00, then balance the other two off that.

MkIIC+, MESA/Boogie and ifallalot like this.
  19. somedude

somedude Member

The Grid Slammer and Tone Burst work really well with Mesa’s. They have a midrange voice that sinks into their amp’s natural voice really well.

20. HelloThereToday

HelloThereToday Member

Hello everyone, first time here.

I've been having the same problem. I also replied to your Youtube channel, but figured I'd try my chances here as well. I'm hoping that someone here might know what is causing this hum.
    Some 6 months ago I bought a TC-50 from a German store which had this problem and after some back and forth I decided to return it. In fact; considering the date on your video I wouldn't be surprised if you have the exact one that I returned!

The hum is consistently present on all channels, without guitar input and irrespective of volume, gain or any other controls. Before returning it, I drove back to the German store and took it to the tech department. Surprisingly, there was no hum when it was hooked up there. In the end he did end up replacing one of the preamp tubes just in case, but that just made it worse by adding a high-pitched squeal to the low hum. Eventually that did it for me and I was done, so I returned it and got a refund.

Recently I managed to find another one in my own country (The Netherlands; they're not easy to find here). Sadly, it has the exact same problem. After being in contact with the German distributor and trying a number of different things (different cables, different speakers, different outlets, different houses - including a studio with a completely separate circuit for audio equipment - and buying a power conditioner to rule out dirty power) I still have not found the problem. The distributor contacted the USA tech department and after sending them your video (sadly my phone camera is too crappy to pick up the hum) he said this is not a normal sound that should be coming out of the amp. He said it sounds like something is stressing the transformer.
    However, when I went back to the store where I bought this one, I tried the combo version; it does the same thing. Which is making me think that either this is part of the amp - which would be strange cause I see almost no posts anywhere about this - or it is somehow a power or interference problem that is perhaps only showing up in Europe? From what I've read in this thread, most - if not all - people here are from the US.

Is anyone here knowledgeable enough to say whether this could be a transformer, power or interference problem? Or has anyone had the same problem and managed to find a solution? This is the best amp I've ever played through and I really don't want to get rid of it. At the same time, if I can't get rid of the hum I won't be able to use it cause it will drive me insane.

stratzrus likes this.