Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dilznik, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I don't think it is a European issue specifically, especially if it wasn't humming when you brought it to your tech (whom I'm assuming is running off the same power grid/sources). So unless for some reason the power being sent to your home is somehow different than what your tech is getting, I don't know what could be causing it in that respect other than something is off with the power source you are using which is causing some issues with the voltage draw or other factor inside the amp. Tubes amps are unfortunately very picky with voltages and power.

Have you reached out to Mesa? Did they provide any type of solution or guideline? From my experience they can be really helpful with most issues. I'd recommend contacting them directly - yourself - describing the issue and see what they say.

MkIIC+ likes this.
  2. Dunconia

Dunconia Supporting Member

I bought a KTR, Klon reissue, a while back and it works extremely well with it. I had a grid slammer. It was ok. I prefer the Klon type.

Jabby92 likes this.
  3. HelloThereToday

HelloThereToday Member

I've tried calling the Mesa office in Petaluma but unfortunately they don't pick up when I call - perhaps because it's an international number. I had some brief contact with them through Facebook, but the only suggestion I got there is that it might be a tube and I should get it checked out by a tech. I'm not that knowledgeable about amps, but I would imagine that if it's a tube, the hum would get louder with volume or gain, or change according to what channel it's set to.

The only other contact I've had with Mesa is indirectly through their distributor in Germany, which has now set me on the path of it possibly being a transformer problem. I'm taking it to the tech again when he can free up some time (holiday time is a busy time in amp world as well, apparently). Now the store is also being a royal ass about the whole thing however, saying it's better to return it in the coming weeks with the implied/silent threat that I won't be able to get a refund or store credit if I don't. Last time I ever go to this store, that's for sure.

Aside from calling Mesa or talking to the distributor, I sadly have no other way of contacting them. Using the contact form on their website automatically sends me to their European distributor.

The first one I bought hummed at my house and my friend's studio, but not at the tech department of the store in Germany. However, the second one I bought has hummed everywhere I tried it; at home, friend's studio, and the store (all in The Netherlands).

4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Try this form -> https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I wouldn't say its a busy time of year for amps specifically, but it is a busy time of year for just about everything. If the amp is still under warranty, Mesa should be able to help you out. Try filling out the form with the details and see whar you hear back.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

Sorry that I can't help with your problem. My TC-50 does not do that.

I was wondering where you live in the NL? I've spent a lot of time there. Not just Amsterdam but also Rotterdam, Delft, Den Haag, Eindhoven, Haarlem, and Bloemendaal aan Zee.

I go for the North Sea Jazz festival but like to stay for a few weeks to hang out with friends.

6. MESA/Boogie

MESA/Boogie Member

Also, if using the fx loop - anything in the loop will be over-driven. Channel Masters are there to balance the volume between channels, and also control the fx send signal. Typically they are set between 10 and 1 o'clock depending on what channel, mode, settings, etc. Then overall volume is set with the Output control.

FbIsNotE, MkIIC+ and starbelly like this.
  7. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Good to know! I’m still having some EQ shifts in my TC-100 effects loop that I had to “solve” by putting an EQ/buffer in the loop to compensate for the increased low end/decreased high end when engaging in the effects loop. I wish it was more transparent, unless this is just a case of user error.

8. HelloThereToday

HelloThereToday Member

Den Haag all the way! I also spend a lot of time in Delft though, since it's very close. Never been to North Sea Jazz myself, but have been considering going next year.

stratzrus likes this.
  9. stratzrus

Me too, maybe we can meet up there.

NSJ used to be in Den Haag before it moved to Rotterdam. One year I also went to Paard van Troje to catch a Sander Kleinenberg set. It was a great venue to hear him and hang out. Sander is actually from Delft.

The year I stayed in Delft was because it was a lot closer to Den Haag than Amsterdam. What a beautiful little town.

Glad to meet up on TGP. Hopefully in person next summer if I can work out making the trip.

HelloThereToday likes this.
  10. HelloThereToday

HelloThereToday Member

Paard van Troje is a great venue! Actually did my band's album release show there back in 2015. Have also been to many parties there, always a great time. Delft is a very beautiful town indeed. Personally I prefer Den Haag, but that might also be because I'm biased since I live there.

If we do both end up going to NSJ, it would be nice to meet up there.

With regards to my TC-50; I took it to an engineer, he couldn't find anything side from a faulty preamp tube (V7). He replaced it, but that didn't change anything sadly.

stratzrus likes this.
  11. stratzrus

I'll send you a message so that we can stay in touch.

Really sorry that you're having those issues with the TC-50. I haven't heard about that happening with other ones. I can't figure out why it's happening. Maybe the solution would be to send it back to the factory, but I know that's really far from where you are and the cost might be prohibitive.

12. HelloThereToday

HelloThereToday Member

Yeah, it's too bad. Decided to return it today and get store credit. It's a great amp, but at this point it's no longer worth the hassle to try and figure out what the problem is. Shipping it to the factory would be very expensive, sadly.
    Currently looking at either a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe (can get a pretty good deal on this one) or a Bogner Shiva 20th anniversary.

13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Just back for a little update. Got to try out a Bogner Shiva recently and a Dual Rectifier. I gotta say, while the Shiva is a phenomenal amp and had a little more 'thump' than my TC-50, it didn't blow me away quite like I thought it was going to. I know its sort of a 'legendary' amp around TGP and other forums, but it just reminded me how great my TC-50 really is. The lead sounds actually cross up a bit, the Mesa is more violin like but the Shiva seemed a little more crisp and different mids. The sustain on this Mesa is just insane, or at least it is with my guitar and setup. With my Klone booster I'm able to get the TC-50 in a really similar tonal spectrum as this amp. Needless to say, it was interesting to plug into another higher end tube amp after playing the Mesa for quite a few months. What I have learned is I'm definitely a Mesa 'guy' more than anything else.

Now onto the Dual Rec. Wow. This thing has my interest more than ever now. It really does have a much different character on all 3 channels than the TC. I definitely dig the metal rhythm sounds on the Dual Rec a little more than TC. Its so crisp and open even though I had the gain way up, its like magic. I tried scooping the mids on the TC-50 and cranking up the presence and its gets pretty close to the Dual Rec but still not quite the same. I know that fizz and sizzle of the Rectifier isn't for anyone, but I loved it more than I thought. Maybe I should try 6L6 tubes again in TC-50. I think the combination of 100W, 2 more power tubes and a bigger transformer makes a noticeable difference to low end and overall 'attack' of the Dual Rec. All I can say is, I do want one at some point but I'll definitely be keeping the TC for a long time to come.

:aok;)

FbIsNotE, MkIIC+ and tjontheroad like this.
  14. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I have a 6L6 Shiva, Dual Rec, and TC-50. While the 6L6 Shiva and Dual Rec are awesome, the TC-50 still wins the best all around amp. So much so, the 6L6 Shiva and Dual Rec will probably be on the sale block soon.

FbIsNotE and Jabby92 like this.
  15. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Thats sweet. I can definitely see the appeal of the Shiva. The cleans are amazing and its got that hot-rodded Marshall thing going on with lots of chunky low end. It just turns out that I'm more into the overall Mesa 'sound' I think and the way the Mesa feels under my hands is really fantastic. If I was more into Marshall style amps (which I do like them) I'd probably be super impressed with the Shiva in more ways. To be fair, I only got to spend about 30 mins with it, but with my impression I wasn't super blown away like I thought I was going to be. As usual.. everyone feels differently towards gear.

Thats also interesting that you're considering parting with the Dual Rec. I can definitely understand that, its not the sound for everyone. I was just really impressed with the high gain openness to it compared to the TC. It just has a really nice loose feel to it that and the sound is really crisp and full. I liked it most for higher gain rhythm stuff and it seems like all the notes and harmonics just really pop out. One thing I will say though is the lack of mids made a little harder to play than the TC, the TC is a shredders dream in comparison. I'm thinking though with a pedal in front I could go the Dual Rec tightened up a lot better.

Anyway.. I'm gonna try 6L6 tubes in my TC and see how it impacts everything. Might open it up a little more and get it closer to a Recto sound. I'm also gonna invest in the new Mesa loadbox soon I think. It would be nice if I could get more out of channel 2 without having to crank the amp up so much, I find channel 2 needs the power amp section opened up some to get the most of it.

tjontheroad likes this.
  16. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!

The 6L6 tubes in TC-50 on the Blue channel are the closest to the Rec spongy mode. You also get the most dynamic response with 6L6 tubes in the TC-50. I run those and a G12 Neo on my combo.

Jabby92 likes this.
  17. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

@ifallalot Did you get the volume issues ironed out?

18. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Yes I did. Like it was suggested in this thread I put the channel masters down at noon and was able to dial them in better.

I got a set of 6L6s that I'm going to try just for the fun of it. I've been enjoying the 6V6s but based on this thread it behooves me to try those 6L6s

19. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good to hear the volume adjustments are working out. Funny enough I've got some Mesa 6V6s waiting to be swapped for the 6L6s in a TC-50 combo. If you beat me to it, I'd love to hear your take on the difference.

ifallalot likes this.
  20. somedude

somedude Member

It’s one of those things where 10 seconds of playing will tell you more than someone could pass along in paragraphs of text.

The gist is that the 6V6 have a bit of a scoop with a strong low end at lower volumes. At higher volumes they give a great dying amp sort of response and the bottom end feels like I’m playing a sponge. They’re pretty cool and I like them a lot.

6L6 are a lot stiffer. They make the amp sound a lot more like a “Mesa” IMO and produce the stereotypical chug we all know and love.

EL34s bring the mids. I think it’s one of the reasons “Mesa” guys find this amp a little weak when they demo it in a store... it doesn’t have the body of a typical Mesa (see 6L6 above), but it has a crunch and midrange that Mesa’s typically don’t produce.

I have a pair of TC-50s and for the classic rock meets sludge rock kind of tone it typically go for I prefer the 6V6 and EL34 together. If i were to need more of a thrash tone I’d probably go to 6L6.

FbIsNotE, MkIIC+ and ifallalot like this.