Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dilznik, Nov 26, 2016.

1. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Yeah, I still need to test cables. It's a bummer if I can't use the effects that I like without the unpleasant changes in tone.

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I was going to ask something else I was curious of. Have any of you compared your TC-50 to any Marshall amps? I haven't had a chance to A/B mine next to a JCM800 or Plexi type or anything like that. I've been hopping back and fourth between the TC-50 and Dual Rec (multi-watt vers.) and I really like them both (prefer the Dual Rec overall). The main reason I didn't buy a Marshall over the TC-50 is because I always found the Mesa has superior note clarity at higher gain and I like how the EQ works. The other factor is I wanted the features and I prefer Mesa's build quality/warranty.

Anyway.. just curious. I know this amp hits the lower midrange more but I do find it 'barks' quite nice and is fairly bright once you get the volume up and hit the power section more and get everything working together. I always felt like this amp is more in the Hiwatt frequency range than Marshall but maybe its just my imagination.

starbelly likes this.
  3. starbelly

Great question! I've really been digging more JCM 800/900 tones lately, and I'm curious how well people think the TC amps can emulate them.

4. jds22

jds22 Member

Is this an example of what you're experiencing with the loop? I definitely would not want to have to deal with this.

starbelly likes this.
  5. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Ewwww. What in the hell? This is a thing?

6. starbelly

Yes, this is basically what I'm experiencing (although I'm using higher gain tones). It sucks (haha). This is what I'm annoyed about.

7. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Its interesting that I haven't really noticed this through my rig. In the video though, its definitely audible and noticeable. I'm gonna experiment with it again cause normally I never have the loop engaged when doing rhythm playing and only have it on for solos/lead playing and I always roll the highs off for that type of sound. However, I would hate having a lot of high end roll off with rhythm sounds.

starbelly likes this.
  8. SteveO

SteveO Member

I have a DSL100HR, and yes, they're definitely voiced differently with the Mesa having a lower frequency emphasis in the midrange. I dinked around with the EQ in my GT-1000, and found that a slight cut at 500Hz and a slight bump at 2.5Kz brings the Mesa solidly into Marshall territory.

starbelly likes this.
  9. starbelly

Curious to know what your experience is!

10. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Thanks, sounds about right. I find on channel 2 tight mode it helps re-shape the mids to be more in the Marshall zone and went you boost the treble and presence up it gets more of 'that sound'. I'll have to test out another Marshall sometime.

11. jds22

jds22 Member

My thoughts exactly. I'm in the market for an amp and the TC was at the top of my list but this issue has me a bit concerned.

The only pedals I'd put in the loop would be delay and EQ but still, ewwww.

12. jds22

jds22 Member

Dang, sorry to hear that, no pun intended. I'd say you have a right to be annoyed.

starbelly likes this.
  13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Tried the loop. Did not notice any issues. Tried with and without buffers in front of the amp as well as in the loop and no difference in treble. I also plugged straight into the amp with nothing else and still not a problem turning the loop on and off. My only guess for this issue could be 3 things:

1) Cabling
    2) Power source (voltage swings)
    3) Some other weird unexplainable thing

It would be really surprising to me but the loop is tube buffered and maybe its possible that it impacts the interaction of the tubes in preamp/poweramp and the treble frequencies.. but I'm only taking a wild guess here.

And with cabling not sure how long your cables are or the quality of them but I have used some really terrible cables that have signal loss in front of the amp as well as in the loop. In my home studio/environment I always use shorter cables if possible just to get the best recording sound.

Anyway bottom line is I have plugged in various amps into various power sources and it has resulted in tonal loss or changes all because of the voltage. Even if you think you have 120V source you might only be getting 115V or 110V, etc.. which results in a tonal change. Tube amps are very picky with this stuff.

starbelly likes this.
  14. evildik

evildik Member

Anyone tried the headphone or direct recording out? I got my TC-50 about two weeks ago and haven’t tried either yet. Just curious what to expect if/when I do

15. starbelly

I'm not impressed with Mesa's original CabClone. I'm currently using a Suhr Reactive Load IR for headphone playing and direct recording, and it's amazing.

16. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Haven't tried direct recording out. With the headphones its a mixed bag. With low impedance headphones it sounds decent, but with any high impedance monitors the sound is pretty dull as you can't drive the headphone signal enough. Overall its not useless but I'd sooner just play with the master down way low hooked up to a speaker cab.

17. evildik

evildik Member

Kinda what I expected to hear.

Jabby92 likes this.
  18. fremen

fremen Vendor

I have a TC-50, but not that experienced with power tubes ; if I wanted a more modern, MK II/V type of sound out of the red channel, would the 6L6 be more suitable than the EL34 ? And what would the effect be on the other channels ?

19. SteveO

SteveO Member

I've run EL34s, 6L6s, and 6V6s in mine. There are some differences in sound, but not enough to make the amp sound like something that it's not.

MESA/Boogie likes this.
  20. fremen

fremen Vendor

Yes, I'm probably expecting too much from a tube swap...