Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dilznik, Nov 26, 2016.

1. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

I kind of get the impression this amp has been on the works for a while. It does not appear to be one that was rushed to the market. It seems to be well thought out and well engineered. I agree with you in thinking we may see something very different from Mesa in the next round of product offerings.

stephen sawall likes this.
  2. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

I am hoping someone at Mesa is working on the next-generation TriAxis, then I wouldn't need a 100W version. I've got 295s for that.

So: a QuadRaxis I guess: with the preamps from the TC-50, the JP-2C and the KS, along with the best of the TriAxis.

3. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

Cool idea ... and the Voxy stuff from the TA 30 would be awesome to have in that same unit although that might be harder to pull off in just a preamp.

4. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

A Brown Eye-Pink Taco hybrid is due out....a pending name is Two in the Pink, One in the Stink

Nitrobattery, MattC and TTBZ like this.
  5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

The fact that I can't tell if this is a joke says a lot about Friedman.

6. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

Joking aside, I have a new-born at home, and very broad musical tastes. One day can me a Mayer day, the other, some country. The next? Sevendust.

The headphone jack helps with the baby, and the 3 voicings should help satisfy my varying musical tastes (well-enough) without having to break the bank on multiple amps.

I love my Princeton Reverb RI for its cleans, Reverb, and trem. But at low watts, a 10" speaker, and pedal-dependency for drive (not a bad thing), the TC-50 really has me interested.

Price looks right too (keep wifey happy).

AshMaui and Bandersnatch like this.
  7. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

I thought the TC and TA would make a great pairing add a Mark V = Trifecta

TaoInMotion and MattC like this.
  8. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

Yeah tis true I'm just a dreamer

I had a 79 2203 with very deep clean bass people constantly making offers. Our drummer at the time says "Damn that amp sounds good, I don't even play guitar but I wanna buy it off you"

Once I started playing VHT's it got less and less use it took a loong time for me to part with it but I knew though it needed to be in the community put to good use.

stratzrus and stephen sawall like this.
  9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'm a VHT/Fryette player myself. I recently picked up a Deliverance 120 and I love it.

The reason why I'm considering a TC 50 is as a replacement for my Subway Rocket Reverb bedroom amp. I like the cleans on the SRR, but the TC 50 clearly has better gain tones.

10. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Great thread & I've only read about 30% of it!

I'm a huge EL34 fan & love my Friedman Runt 50! The XLR out feature is just incredible, but the lack of a Master Volume has caused me a few issues at gigs.

The Mesa TC 50 specs are just perfect for me..........& THIS thread & all the great comments, clips & videos have made me pull the trigger on the TC-50 Head.

It arrives tomorrow, when I will most likely be sick (cough, cough) & home for the day shredding it up on what I hope is a true BEAST of an amp.

The funny thing is, I'm a HUGE fan of amp modeling & the Fractal AX8 got me WAY into tube amps. Being able to try out over 200 different digital amp channels showed me that I gravitate towards all Hot Rodded Marshall type tones and amps.

The cab clone is a HUGE feature for me & the silent out/speaker cab kill is also very cool. The midi & solo boost are stellar features......& I may even run the on amp reverb too.

I'll report back, post some new amp pics & run a few demos too..........& give some gig reports once I get all the midi channel switching set-up with my Fractal FX8.

Again, "Thanks" for the G.A.S. & all of the great insight on the world of Boogie & the Triple Crown 50.

Peace! X-Mann

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

I'm ordering one today.
    Head or cab?

Unadan and starbelly like this.
  12. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

X-Mann likes this.
  13. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Personally I would order the head.

Unadan and Tone Loco like this.
  14. slybird

slybird Member

I'd get the combo. My logic is thus: one of the better looking combos I've seen, 54# isn't a bad weight for a grab and go tube amp, I don't mind V30s, I don't own any open back cab, can always bring an extra 1x12, can always move the chassis into a head or rack at a later date.

themchangesband likes this.
  15. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

Clearly indeed!

Replacing your Smart car with a Corvette makes sense. Giddyup!;)

Eight years ago I was looking for a Subway Rocket somehow ended buying a Dr Z Z-28 and Z-best cab instead lol Those SR's have really kept thier value over the years in fact, a lot of the time they go for used almost as much as they cost when new. Great lil amps.

stratzrus likes this.
  16. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Hey All.....I just got my TC-50 head & spent some time with each channel thru an 8ohm 2x12 w/ V30's in it.

The tones on each channel are just as described & very good. Channel #3 or the HI channel is just jaw dropping in the "Tight" mode & has a very liquid feel that's great for legato leads.....

I tried the cab clone DI & was a little disappointed since none of the 3-positions even sounded close to what the cab I'm using sounds like.

The "Closed Back" position sounds like a ripped speaker too. I could be doing something wrong here.....but....I'm not sure what. The "Open" position is better & the "Vintage" position seems muddy.....

Has anyone used the Cab Clone DI on their TC-50 yet? Results or thoughts?

My goal was/is to run the actual cabinet on stage & the DI direct to the PA for gigs.

I'm trying to figure out the midi & get it set-up w/ my FX8 right now......& making some progress.....

More later, along w/ some pics too.....

Peace! X

PS - I read the reviews of the actual Cab Clone device on-line & people really seem to love them.....Could it even be possible that the one inside my TC50 is broken somehow?

tjontheroad likes this.
  17. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

The Cab Clone on my Mark V 35 works really well. Can't say it sounds exactly like a mic'd cab, but it's definitely usable ... it's close enough for sure.

AshMaui, Al Rose and X-Mann like this.
  18. Genghis

Genghis Member

I've had my TC50 for awhile now, and still have yet to try the Cab Clone, but I expect to be disappointed. I've never heard any such device sound convincing for hi-gain tones, but I'll try it soon and try to post back after I do.

I too have the FX8, and once you get it set up with the MIDI on that you'll really be a happy camper. The MIDI in the TC50 was really well thought out and one of the main reasons I bought the amp. The fact that it actually sounds better than the 5150 III I was using just reinforces that I made the right choice.

X-Mann likes this.
  19. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Hey Genghis.....

The XLR out of the Friedman Runt is just spectacular so I have high hopes for the TC50's Cab Clone.....I'm still doing tests as we speak.

Q: I'm setting up my FX8 & saved a few Presets to work w/ & have a question or two for you.

Are you just using CC changes for the amp channels only?

How do I get the TC's FX loop to be set to "ON" all the time?

Are you doing both CC & PC changes?

I was trying to do everything w/ CC only changes, but I can't get my FX loop to stay on all the time.

Any help is appreciated!

Thx X!!!

20. Genghis

Genghis Member

I just use pc changes. Program 1 is clean with reverb and loop, 2 is lo gain with reverb and loop, 3, hi gain reverb and loop, then 4 thru 6 are more or less the same with the solo boost engaged. Then just send the right PC from the scenes to get the channel i want.

Didn't really dig in and try anything with the CC numbers, but i remember reading that it could be done.

X-Mann likes this.