Mesa Triple Rectifier users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GerryJ, Mar 24, 2015.

1. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Anyone here use or gig with one? I'm just curious about what kind of situation someone would be in where they would use a hi-gain amp with Six output tubes! Especially with most venues now cutting way back on volume.

2. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

It is good for Teh Brootalz when u is playing da stadium tourzzzzzz.

3. somedude

somedude Member

The volume difference vs a Dual Recto is insignificant, but the extra headroom affects the feel and keeps the bottom end more solid when detuning.

4. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

^This.

Nobody (at least no sane person) person buys a Triple over a Dual for the volume but for the tone. The Triple gives you the same basic Recto sound but also tighter bass, more low-end thump, better clarity and beefier sound overall. In a direct A/B test, the regular Dual sounds softer, tubbier and woollier. Which is why some Recto fans consider the Triple Rec (especially the 2-channel models) the ultimate Recto tone.

Of course, YMMV, and for some users, the sheer power of a Triple can be tough to tame for the smallest venues. The newer multiwatt Triples at least do give you the 50-watt option, though.

5. cardinal

cardinal Member

I have one and love it. Sounds great at low volumes and at earth shattering volumes. To use it at low volumes, the volume knob is really really touchy. It'll go from whisper quiet to rattling the windows at the slightest turn. So it takes some finess to get right. The only other caveat is that for whatever reason it sounds pretty terrible at low volumes unless you hard bypass the loop. The loop makes the amp sound harsh unless the volume is pumping.

I've owned a few other really loud amps like the VH4 and a SLO, and the Triple Rec doesn't seem any harder to control than those amps. I've played a Triple side-by-side with a Mini Rec with the same cabs, and at least to me, the Triple sounded much warmer, fuller, and smoother at any volume, whether really quiet or really loud.

It's a wonderful amp IMHO. Great rock, hard rock, and of course high gain metal-ish tones to be had.

6. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Has nothing to do with volume...

7. LesPaul70

LesPaul70 Member

Well yes, that's true. They are indeed a different from a SLO or, say, a Plexi Marshall in that respect. Never mind the wattage, you will discover that you don't have to turn up a Triple Rectifier half as loud before it starts sounding great. They are like that by design - a Dual or a Triple Rec will give you very nice tone at modest volumes and will just sound even better when you crank the volume.

Yeah, and I believe that's a major reason why the current mini amp fad will eventually boil over and their popularity will wane - when people who are now infatuated with the various mini amp offerings get a chance to play their 'big brothers' and discover that the bigger amps actually sound different. For the heavier music styles people normally use high-gain Mesas for, the bigger Mesas almost invariably sound better.

Of course there will always be a place for mini amps as well as styles where their sound is actually preferable.

8. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I understand where you guys are coming from with the Dual/Triples vs Minis (same goes for Mark). But I've owned the Dual Rec Roadster and that thing was an awesome amp. But at the levels I had to play it at it just didn't sound great, it didn't sound like a $2k+ amp for me. Cranked up just a bit to medium volume and it was awesome. Mark V, same way.
    The Mini versions of these gets the power section working better where the power tube section starts introducing more flavor and personality in the tone.
    Anyways - that's just my opinion and experience and I've owned a couple big boys from Mesa.
    I also like how the minis make these iconic tones a bit more vintage flavored.

9. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I had one in an 80s cover band I was in about 10 years ago. For "local" gigs it was basically unusable.. I rarely got the master above 2 or 3. Ended up with a Dual (which also included a T-Verb, Road King, and Roadster) and then a Single Recto.

Same basic sound on all, just as mentioned here a few times, it's the headroom everybody likes. I personally found the Single Recto (or Rectoverb) to be more aggressive sounding.

**On a side note** When I bought it, used here on TGP, it came packaged very poorly and every single tube, except 1 preamp tube, inside the head was broken. It cost me over $350 to re-tube that dang thing!

10. cardinal

cardinal Member

^ not sure why it matters whether the master ever gets turned up above a certain level?

But yes, it is a nightmare to pay for new tubes. It's even worse than my old VH4S. That thing needed ten 12AX7 tubes, but at least only four power tubes. The Triple needs six power tubes and then the rectifier tubes too. Ugh.

Oddly enough, I bought my current Triple without any tubes, as well. Probably because they are so expensive to replace them all.

11. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Triple has mucho punch and body.

More than any other I have played. It is louder than my Dual but the Dual is already too loud. They sound awesome at all volumes. Forget the Mini, I had one for years and was a love hate. No low end punch at all and NOT loud enough, great for low gain though.

12. Mesa

Mesa Member

I got my Triple Rec about 12 years ago and it was my 5th amp (first tube amp). I only use it at home and I absolutely love it. There is a massive range in tone across the 3 channels from clean to crunchy clean to mild distortion to crazy hi-gain distortion. Even at house hold volumes it sounds great, not the same as large venue volumes but still great. This amp (for me) is a keeper!