MEsa Tripple Rect sounds terible (2 chan)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by defiance, Feb 22, 2009.

1. defiance

defiance Member

I cant seem to get a good distortion sound to come out of the beast
    ive gotten so used to my Ac30's and my Marshall 18W that when i switch over to the mesa it sounds like a synth distortion coming though the V30's

i cant imagine that a synth-like distortiong is all that this amp is capable of...ive had the thing for 5 months and now that Nik@ceriatone released a Marshall 2550 clone it makes me wonder why i still have the mesa...Any1 please stop me from buying the 2550 and help me with my Mesa

2. defiance

defiance Member

3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

In a nutshell, I like the red mode, modern high gain, silicon diode rectifier (rec. tubes off).

Settings as follows:
    Gain: 1:00
    Bass: 1:00 (you might need to use less depending on the cab)
    Mids: 12:00
    Treble: 2:00
    Presence: 9-10:00
    Volume: At least 10:00 (or the louder the better)

You might also want to test the Recto out thru different cabs just for a taste of change.

4. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

There are so many other amps that will give you the modern hard rock/metal sound better than a Rec. VHT, Bogner, Randall, etc.

If you're stuck on using the Rec, contact www.eurotubes.com for tube upgrades and suggestions.

If you really want to get it sounding right, try www.voodooamps.com. Trace does killer mods for the Rec.

Good luck.

5. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Hope I don't piss off the Mesa fans but that's about all the sounds I could ever choke out of the 3 or 4 I've tried...other than running it on the verge of break-up which I found really foul. I'm not a Recto fan, they make a few great amps but I would roll with another Company's amp. If your stuck with it, the tube suggestion sounds like a good starting point. These are meant to run hard so maybe the guy before you squeeze all the juice outta them..

6. Mesa4x12er

Mesa4x12er Member

Everyone's got different tastes, but if you really think it sounds like "synth guitar" perhaps the error isn't with the amp?

Just saying!

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    How can anyone help you when you've given us almost zero info on your rig. Tone doesn't come from the amp alone - it doesn't exist in isolation.
    So what guitars & pedals are you using;
    do all your guitars sound synthy thru it or all of em;
    are you playing mainly at gigging volume or at home on low volume
    exactly what tones are you trying to get from the Rect
    exactly which tones are you having prob's with

Not sure why you've compared it with your AC-30 - it doesn't do distortion.

Rectifiers have been made legendary by big name acts like Metallica, Foo Fighters, Nickelback, John Petrucci & lots more. Listen to their live DVD's/CD's and that'll give you a reasonable idea of what Rectifiers are capable of. If you don't like their tones you don't like Rectifiers.

8. bynt

bynt Member

If nothing is wrong with your amp I'm thinking that it's just the nature of the beast. It's not really fair to compare and AC 30 or an 18 watter with a Dual or Triple Rec. It's really like complaining that the bull dozer doesn't go as fast as the Corvette. Nothing wrong with either of them but damned if I want a Corvette in a snow storm or a bulldozer in a street race. That's just me. I've gotten good tones out of Mesa's. They're not my cup of tea (although I was really eyeing the Roadster there for a while) but if you like that sound, I think they do it really well.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Make sure you check the manual for settings. I say this cause I never do! Tweaked in the wrong direction the amp can sound bad. On my friends we intuitively cranked up the channel volume and it was a mistake. Totally muddied out the channel. Checked the settings in the manual and voila! Bob

10. defiance

defiance Member

im playing the Recto though an orange 212
    ive tried my Gibson LP Premium Plus. PRS CE24, and SE Custom

i love metallica and Dream Theater...just cant seem to manage to get that tone out of one...i also like Tremonti (probably my biggest influence out of the Recto users)

I compaired it to my AC30 because the gain on them sounds much thicker when you roll of some tone and crank them than the recto...

I think i bought the amp from Mesa4x12er over on Harmony central (its the 2chan one that i thought the corners looked beat up on) he didnt want to sell his Dual because it was sentimental...

11. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Id say that if you have owned it for 5 months, and have exhausted all the knob tweaking options. Its not the right amp for you. Sure you could retube it for $200 or so, but its not a guarantee that you will like it.

12. mike80

mike80 Member

First off, what kind of tones are you going for...80's, 90's, 70's?

What kind of tubes are in it?

The EQ is active. If you turn the treble up too much, the mids and bass won't be as prevalent. It's down the line...treble, mids, then bass gets the last of the signal.

Don't crank the gain either. Between 12 and 2 is a real sweet spot. The gain control is super sensitive. There's a spot on mine where if I turn it down, I lose tone...if I turn it up, I lose tone. Sounds wierd, but it's true.

The channel master has a sweet spot also. If you turn it up too high, the tone gets washed out with mids and gets muddy. But you need to have it set so high. I tend to like mine right around 11 oclock. (with the loop active).

In order for a Recto to sound good, it has to be turned up. Don't be afraid of turning the master up some. I get good tone from mine at a decent volume level. You couldn't talk over it, but it's not deafening either.

A PRS should sound phenomenal through a Mesa.

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah thats exactly what threw me with my friends Recto. Usually channel masters can be cranked but not on the Recto. Bob