Mesa V-Twin Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Julia343, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Julia343

Julia343 Member

One of these kind of dropped in my lap last night. I was jamming with a friend. He asks me if I've ever played with one of these. "No, but can I try it out?"

"The power adapter doesn't work, and I haven't been able to find one."
    So I say, "Okay, if I can find an adapter can I have it?"
    "You know things like that have happened. I'm not using it at all, and I'm getting into this computer modeling stuff and away from that stuff."

I checked locally and couldn't find an adapter but every store the sales guy said, "can I have it?" "I'll trade you a new Blues Jr. for it."

He's not using it so it's sort of either mine or on permanent loan here. So can anyone tell me anything about this?

[​IMG]

Oh, BTW I found a power adapter and ordered it from Mesa, so I guess it's mine now.

2. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

I've had 2 or 3 of these over the years. Great pedal. I didn't care for the blues mode but the clean adds a little tubey smoothness to your amp and the lead channel smokes! I don't know why I continue to buy and sell this pedal over the years but something about it keeps drawing me back. Cool score!

3. markdb

markdb Member

I had one I used mostly for recording, the clean channel sounded great straight into a desk. I'd agree that the blues channel is a bit blah. In the end, the sheer size and weight made me sell it. I made a profit (hurrah!).

4. wahwah

wahwah Member

Mine's been sitting around dormant for quite a few years, but it certainly paid for itself many times over doing sessions in the 90's, especially after watching the engineer dick around with Amp Farm for half an hour. The V-Twin would come out, and a few minutes later we were tracking. This happened repeatedly. Not so great into a tube amp, but quite impressive straight into a recording system.

[​IMG]

Cheers.................................wahwah

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

6. es125luv

es125luv Member

I used to gig with one for many years... I used the blues/solo config with a Fender Blues Deluxe and a Les Paul...

It was actually a really reliable setup... and sounded pretty good.

I found an overseas buyer who was willing to pay a lot more than I paid for it, so away it went.

If you don't like the look of the treadplate, you just remove the two nuts on the footswitches and it will come off.

7. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I had a V-Twin for a few years. About 8 or 9 years ago I played various places in Moldova (a former Soviet republic between Romania and the Ukraine) for a week. I took a Steinberger and a V-Twin because I knew I was going to be using solid state amps provided by those in Moldova. It helped.

8. drolling

drolling Member

BINGO! It came out back in the day's I was using solid state amps - Only used the 'clean' channel, tho' Couldn't bond with the thick, saturated Boogie-tone that the lead/blues channel pumps out in spades.

Tried to tame it by swapping out the tubes for lower-output AT/U/Ys, but didn't help much. THe way it cuts out when switching channels was probably the deal-breaker for me..

But I've still got it. The world's most expensive headphone amp. JUst great for noodling in the night:dude.. Can't beat the price you paid for yours! Congrats!!

9. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

what a beast!

I was just wondering, what differentiates a pedal from a preamp... I'm assuming a preamp has a specified line level and needs to go straight to the power amp section to sound right, so like if i had one, i'd need an a/b box, and would you want to put your other pedals in front of it like you normally do having pedals in front of an amps built in pre amp? etc.

i read somewhere that for fx loops sound engineers got the companies to agree on standards for line levels etc. but i don't know if those apply to pre amps

10. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Boogie sound on the floor. A classic. Somewhat maligned these days as people want open mids and touch sensitivity/clean up, but I'm missing that sound and, yes, even feel lately (fluffy attack, long effortless sustain, creamy tone). Hmmm...maybe i have to go get one.

11. wahwah

wahwah Member

Yes, all true. They really come into their own for recording when you have a couple of mic'd amp tracks already printed, and you need one more part with a completely different dimension to it to stand apart from them. That's when the V-Twin comes out to do its "in yo face" trick!

Cheers.................................wahwah

12. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Has anyone here compared the pedal version to the rackmount version? I've read that the rackmount version sounds better/different but that could just be a lot of internet B.S. to hype ones Ebay auction. Are there any mods to make the blues channel more usable?

13. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Great pedal!

Let me tell you a story about this thing. I used to work in a music store and one night I demoed a V Twin through a Peavey Bandit (that's what the customer owned, so naturally he wanted to hear it through what he had). Anyways, it sounded absolutely awesome!! I've never heard such warm tone and natural-sounding distortion from a solid state amp.

Strangely enough, I've never been a MesaBoogie fan. I always thought their amps sounded muddy and just plain awful. The V Twin is the one big exception, IMHO.

14. mcaviel

mcaviel Member

Mesa in a pedal with the real authentic tube sound, if you will tweak it good it will make you smile.

Love mine and didn't find any high gain distortion that sound that good and flexible Clean - Low gain - High gain.

15. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I could never get into mine. I sold it a while back and never regretted it. However, I did do a solo overdub at a session one time and it worked pretty well.

16. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

It sounds great for bass too. I agree the best use for it was to warm up solidstate amps and to record. You can also get a tube amp sound through earphones which was handy for late night jamming.

17. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I have the rackmount version. I don't hear much difference, but you do gain another full EQ on ch2. I much perfer having different EQs than shared. The rackmount did react the same as mentioned, it was happier into a solidstate amp. Strangley enough, the *magic* combination for me was using it into a Marshall Valvestate VS232 (tube preamp/solid state power amp). The cleans were to die for and the blues channel was awesome. We tried it on a 70s Fender Twin, a Club 30, and a Peavey Classic 50. All sounded like poo, while the VS232 and my Lee Jackson SP-1000 rack amp sounded freakin' awesome. All my tech could pry out of the Mesa engineer was that the input load of the next device in the chain would make or break the sound of the V-Twin. That could explain the many different opinions on the sound of these.

Alas, the rackmount versions are not too sturdy, and many have issues with tour duty. Perfect for studio or home use, but I would be wary of lugging it around. From what I've seen, the pedals handle abuse just fine.

18. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

This is one of my all time favorite pedals. The lead channel smokes.