• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mesa vs Marshall 4x12

Carmeg

I am wanting to get an idea of what people prefer between a Mesa (standard or traditional) and Marshall 4x12 with vintage 30 equivalents. I have a Diezel VH2, a 73 super lead, and a Marshall Jubilee reissue and wanting a nice 4x12 for all of them. The marshall appears to be more expensive

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I've had both and love both, but tend to prefer each with its own brand or type of amp. The Mesa cab is stiffer and darker and suits Mesas, whereas the Marshall is crunchier and brighter and suits Marshalls. Since you have more Marshalls, I'd go Marshall, myself.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
They both rule. Contrary to popular belief, the Marshall AV/BV cabs have much better low end and depth than the Mesa OS or traditional 4x12.
I have tons of clips proving this with tons of different high gain tube heads I own. To me, Marshall is still THE sound, and the Marshall Celestion vintage speakers ( they aren’t v30s) are probably my favorite speakers ever. The Mesa cabs are just too overbuilt in my opinion, and don’t breath and give like the Marshall cabs. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my Mesa OS, but my Marshall BV Cab is seriously special to Me. Some of my favorite tones were all Marshall cabs: not sure why I took so long to get one.

One of my closest friends produces some of the biggest metal bands in the world, and has for the last 15 or so years. Years ago, when bands would come in, he wouldn’t even audition the Marshall cabs, because bands just demanded Mesa cabs: everyone drank the Kool aid about the time the end of heartache came out. He generally only used the Marshall cabs for leads..

nowadays, he auditions all his cabs, and just about everyone that comes through his studio ends up preferring the Marshall cab, or his Engl cab with creambacks... go figure... just somethin to think about....

Jabby92

In terms of overall construction.. I find Mesa cabs some of the absolute best. I think the Mesa speakers go well with Mesa amps. I think if you have 2 Marshalls though.. I'd probably lean towards a Marshall cab. The stock speakers tend to suit the Marshall sound the best and it'll probably aesthetically suit those amps better than the Mesa cab.

Regardless of your choice.. you can always swap speakers as well.

Neptical

I was a Mesa fan for years ( still am to a degree with my Mark IIIs). Always much preferred my Marshall JCM800 4x12 with T75s with my Boogies. They have such a nice crunch, great bottom and cut so well. With my Marshall heads, its the third leg that I couldn't be without.

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa for modern tones , Marshall for classic rock and for the tradional RNR sound . :aok

I am wanting to get an idea of what people prefer between a Mesa (standard or traditional) and Marshall 4x12 with vintage 30 equivalents. I have a Diezel VH2, a 73 super lead, and a Marshall Jubilee reissue and wanting a nice 4x12 for all of them. The marshall appears to be more expensive
First off the speakers are quite different, the brighter G12Vs and the smoother Mesa V30s. Then the Marshall cab has more overtones and sounds more vintage flimsy compared to the more modern, cleaner and chunky sounding Mesa construction.

Perhaps both are infact so rooted in their respective tonal ideals and your best bet would be going with something in between the two with standard V30s or something.

Then I find it odd the Marshall would be pricier than the more labour intensive Mesa, but there may be a reason for this.

Buck Woodson

The Marshall cabs are lighter and easier to move. Gear4music.com has them at great prices even considering shipping from the UK.

feet

Silver Supporting Member
Though the magic of ones and zeros, I've done my own research on the matter, and then looked at real world specs to come up with a semi informed opinion. :p

Marshall is the sound. And so is Mesa. And while Mesa (and orange, and others, surely) are built to higher standards, with better materials, and weigh a solid 20 pounds more, Marshalls have that sound. The plastic and the mystery meat and the popsicle sticks used to build them are part of the recipe, and it might not be the same without them.

And given they pioneered a lot of it, they have more than one iconic sound to choose from. Strangely, my preference is for their greenback cabs, be it for rock, metal, thrash, doom or jangle stuff. And that would be my suggestion to you, if you could only have one cab to handle your amps. Not that a Mesa would be a horrible option, it just wouldn't be my first (or second...) choice.

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
Something inbetween would be a Bogner 4x12 with V30’s. Awesome cab with the best of both cabs your considering..

HugoLC

Absolutely !
One of my 4X12's is loaded with EVM12L's and it sounds awesome with any amp . :aok
Yes best decision I ever made honestly , the only thing that prevent me from changing all of my other cabs speakers with Evm12L is the price
Otherwise my 4 cab would be full 4 Ev no matter the weight or whatever it's worth it

natemeanie

Silver Supporting Member
It’s funny.
I know the Mesas are made better (metal handles, solid wood, etc.)
But a Marshall B cab with Greenbacks is just THE sound, for me.
With all of my amps, it just works.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom