1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mesa vs Marshall vs Orange

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by g335, Feb 19, 2009.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

What would be a good amp to buy right now to cover Rock, hard rock, Classic rock, Blues, Modern Rock(80's and 90's)(Stuff like The Smiths, The Cure, Joy Division)?

Choices are Mesa Dual Rec
    Mesa 5:25 Express
    Mesa Stilletto Ace
    Marshall JVM
    Marshall VM
    Fender Hotrod Deluxe/Deville
    Orange Tiny Terror

Help

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Mark IV but that's my answer to all of these threads. Why no Mark choice?

3. CAC

CAC Member

Mesa Express would be good, especially the head through a 2x12. Marshall JVM 210 or 205 would also work great and would probably be my first choice. I also like the Fender choices assuming you would be using pedals for overdrive/distortion.

4. madryan

madryan Member

Orange Rockerverb 50 will do everything you want and more. Find on old Mesa DC-5. Killer rock-n-roll amp.

5. g335

g335 Member

Well

I haven't had a chance to play some of the other Mesa's. I don't know what the differences are between the other Mesa's.

What is good about the Mark series and what are the sound differences compared to the Dual Rec, Express and Stilettos'?

6. slegros

slegros Member

JTM, great cleans and OD, extremely versatile and legendary sounding amp.

7. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

the fender hot rods, had both, deville and deluxe, my deluxe came with a Vintage 30 speaker, really helps that amp a lot, and the deluxe is much easier to move around, they look similar but the deville especially my 4x10 was a pain to move around, if you go deville get the 2x12, easier to upgrade 12s, 10s really not a lot of great 10s, and buying 2 speakers not a big deal, 4 speakers much harder,

the mesa'a are very heavy, my mark iv 1x12 combo is 85lbs, it came with casters, and it really needs them,

the marshalls if your going for that sound, which I am with a marshall but mine is the DSL.

certainly would check out the mark V, have a mark iv and its a great amp really interested to see what the mark v has.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. James M

James M Supporting Member

JVM 410 or 210...I have the 410, and it's a very versitile amp for my cover band, and we play much of the same music you described. The clean channel was done to replicate (as best as a Marshall can, I suppose) a clean Fender amp, and each channel has 3 levels of gain (clean, crunch, OD), so for the 210 you get six tone options and for the 410 you get a whopping 12 tone options. That should pretty much get you any tone you want.

9. sqadan

sqadan Member

Fender Deluxe / Deville and pedals would be my choice.... great cleans on those - and with pedals they can be pretty much anything you want them to be within reason.

I guess the Mesa Express would be next on my list... but I would go with the 5:50 to get more clean headroom.

10. theroan

theroan Member

From what you're describing, I would say the Stilleto, Deluxe/Deville and someone had mentioned a Rockerverb 50. That amp is tremendous.

The Recto is really not an appropriate choice, the express is too sterile, why do marshall when the stiletto does it better. Some thing like a Mark IV or V has a super high gain third channel that you may not use based on the genres you listed.

11. hcole

hcole Member

I recently picked up a Mesa F-50 head and I think it would meet the needs you've mentioned and at a very reasonable price (I paid $500).

12. jamison162

jamison162 Member

If you can't afford a Rockerverb and need a clean and dirty channel:

[​IMG]

13. freaksho

freaksho Member

if considering the Fender HRD should probably also consider the Fender Supersonic. an upgrade? probably. anyway, of the amps you listed i'd focus on these first.

you might add Rivera to the mix. in the same approx vein as the two channel Fenders.

i had an Orange Rockerverb 50. probably not the best choice for these chimey and more classic tones. i don't think the TT (or any other Orange) is very far from the RV in overall character, which is darker.

from my experience i can't imagine any Recto would fit at all. i wouldn't waste my time even looking at these. i have no experience with the other Mesas mentioned.

also haven't tried the new Marshalls.

edit:
    btw, considering your tastes, are you also a Bloc Party fan at all? iirc they use Fender HRD's & Tele's. another point in favor of going the modern two channel Fender route i think.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

A used Orange AD30 may be something to look at.

15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Why not wait a little and get an Egnater Renegade 50?

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I assume you want the amp to produce all the clean/OD/distortion tones for your range of music. If so that immediately knocks out the Fenders. The Tiny terror is a great little 15watter but can't compare with the others.

So that leaves the Mesas and the Marshalls.

The Dual Rec is so far ahead of the others I don't know why you bothered asking. Next is clearly the Stiletto, then the little 5:25, but I'd put the Express 5:50, the F-50 & the Lonestar ahead of the Stiletto & the 5:25 (you didn't mention those one's), then the Marshall JVM.

Reject any amp that does not have a Series Loop.
    People have mentioned the Mesa Mark amps. Great for sure but virtually impossible to find these days so they're not a viable option

17. 11justin22

11justin22 Supporting Member

stiletto, but get the deuce. its a little bit warmer and u can turn down to 50 watts if that is your concern

18. g335

g335 Member

I would use pedals too.
    I know I will need two amps for the stuff I want to do. Example, I like playing Tom Petty stuff, Smiths, etc but sometimes I play stuff like Lo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, and then I will play stuff like Lush, or Sound Garden, etc.
    Thats why it is hard for me to find the amp that would be good for me.
    How does the Lonestar sound? When I think of that amp I think of Texas Blues so I never thought of that one as a option.

Some People say yes for Dual Rec some say no. I played the Dual Rec and I feel it will be good but it has so much bass to it, I want to make sure that I can get other sounds besides Nu Metal and 7string low end guitar sounds out of the Dual Rec if I buy it.

Express 5:50 dont know the sound and the F-50 I had a chance to play briefly couple of years ago and dont remember the sound.

What is the main differences in sound between these Mesas'?

19. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I would like to look into the Mark V. Never played a Mark Series amp, but I've heard clips & heard artists use them to sound great. I would have loved to have waited to check out the Mark V but 3-4 months+ is a long ****ing time to wait. of the amps you listed the JVM may do well. Only Recto I've ever been able to get into is the Rectoverb.

20. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Mesa F-50. Swap the speaker with a CL80.