Messa Boogie mini rectifier amp with which cabinet ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WhiteCatzs, Jan 25, 2012.

1. WhiteCatzs

WhiteCatzs Member

I've been planning to get rid of my Marshall solid state MG50DFX and replace it with a warmer tube amp.

I'm considering the messa boggie mini rectifier, but am unsure of a cabinet.
    at first I was considering the small single speaker Mesa boogie mini rectifier ext slant cab, designed for the head. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniRectCabA/ Seems like a nice small comb package, given that I don't have much space in my office for anything bigger.

Then I saw in a pawn shop the Marshall 1922 2x12 cab selling for about $250.

I'll be using a strat and like the Hendrix tone/sound (only quieter, looking for lower volume feedback from natural overdrive) don't have a place to practice loud, and was wondering if the Marshall 2x12 cab would sound better than the messa boogie mini slant cab, with the mini rectifier head.

Any thoughts on which would be a "better" choice in cabinets the 2x12 Marshall or the Mesa boggie single speaker slant cabinet.

Thanks for your input.

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

I'm not particularly useful, but I have a Recto 2x12 that sounds really nice. Warm, fat, and syrupy (especially after the Mesa V30s broke in). I'd look for on of those on Craigslist or something.

3. dughaze

dughaze Member

Don't get that Marshall cab. If it has G12H75's in it or anything but Vintage 30's you will be disappointed. I agree with the above poster, the Recto 2x12's kill, especially with Mesa Mark's and Rectifiers. The mini Recto 1x12 probably would be killer too.