Message for those posting gear videos on Youtube....

JRC4558Dude

1) If the video description says what gear you're using, don't tell us what gear your playing through. We can read.

2) Turn the friggin' knobs! How is the sweep of the tone controls on that dirt pedal you're playing through? What about the gain range? Does it sound the same with the gain at "six" as it does at "ten"? If you don't turn the knobs, we won't know.

3) Tune your guitar.

Carry on...

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
OMG!! AGREED x infinity!!! More than 10 seconds of signal flow description and my eyes glaze over and I never even make it to hear the gear.
Also, STOP STOP STOP shooting vids at crotch level while wearing loose khaki shorts!! I do NOT want to audition your franks n' taters while auditioning your gear! Just STOP!!!

rant over

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I agree too. Alot of those videos have people talking for MINUTES! WTF? Just play.

therhodeo

I agree too. Alot of those videos have people talking for MINUTES! WTF? Just play.
This and out of tune guitars drive me nuts. And if you have time on the video to explain why you didn't have time to tune you had time to tune.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
What I do is just play - put longer descriptions in the video description area, and use the new Annotation feature for a quick text blurb if I change a setting or some piece of gear. And, I keep gear demos under a minute, longer if it's a demo of multiple pieces.

The ones that sucker punch me are the vids made to sell gear on ebay - some of those, they don't even PLAY the gear. Just rattle on and on about how badass it is, with zooms of how cool the grain looks, etc etc - UGH.

Anyhow here's a sample of what I figured to be helpful. Some of my earlier demos, not as helpful. Later ones stick to this program:

Also, STOP STOP STOP shooting vids at crotch level while wearing loose khaki shorts!! I do NOT want to audition your franks n' taters while auditioning your gear! Just STOP!!!

rant over
Plus 1,000,000,000,000!!!!! Unbelievable what some of these folks are (not) thinking of!!!!!!!!

84Bravo

If you're playing your own amp (in the case of an unamed builder) WHY noodle up and down the neck playing distorted lines as opposed to, say, playing chords and progressions that highlight the sparkle and bloom and tonal characteristics of that particular amp? Change the bong water. Rant over.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
When it comes to gear videos on YouTube, I'm pretty sure you're getting what you pay for.

-Austin

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
You can spend 20 minutes typing in what your using/when/and how in the description space next to the video, and it's almost certain that more than one person will leave a comment asking what gear your using. :messedup

I personally don't have a particular gripe towards anyone who spends their time demoing gear that people want to hear. If I don't like something about a video I move on to something else.

GA20T

Agreed. A few ideas:

- learn how to tune
- learn some licks that cover more ground than "Leny"
- if you can't play guitar, don't demo professional gear for our sake
- if you're demoing an amp do NOT play through any effects
- if you need to tell us how rare your reissue Mexican strat is, please leave this info in the description field
- learn how to edit your videos
- use a decent external mic that doesn't overly colour the sound of what your trying to get accross
- i don't need a play-by-play of your knob turning, only to know what your general settings are. OR you could just include video footage of this.

Here are a few decent ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAJqdZcz5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9hxvGsUMvQ&feature=channel

Mike Fleming

I agree!! After watching enough gear videos you can tell within five seconds if it's going to be a massive soliloquoy before you get to tones. i'm always like 1...2...3... click to middle of video

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
If you're playing your own amp (in the case of an unamed builder) WHY noodle up and down the neck playing distorted lines as opposed to, say, playing chords and progressions that highlight the sparkle and bloom and tonal characteristics of that particular amp? Change the bong water. Rant over.
Alot of the videos on YouTube that are claimed to be "demos" are really just attempts at showing off in order to get praise. I can't tell you how many "demos" I've watched where the person just plays scales as fast as they can. It's stupid. Every amp sounds the same to me like that.

The amp "demos" I do are with me playing chords, little licks, palm mutes, etc... Then I'll sometimes get comments about how I suck. LOL

84Bravo

Alot of the videos on YouTube that are claimed to be "demos" are really just attempts at showing off in order to get praise. I can't tell you how many "demos" I've watched where the person just plays scales as fast as they can. It's stupid. Every amp sounds the same to me like that.

The amp "demos" I do are with me playing chords, little licks, palm mutes, etc... Then I'll sometimes get comments about how I suck. LOL
I hear you. I mean, give me a real reason to want to buy the amp. Not some distorted noodling.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
how about this: If you don't like it, turn the computer off and play yer guitar instead of whining on a chat forum! ;)

Trending Topics