Message in a Bottle tough stretch

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
Anybody got tricks for pulling it off?

Any other riffs that come to mind with a harder finger stretch?

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Andy is awesomly under rated even with how highly he is regarded. All of them really are amazing. Stuart accenting different beats than most would due to his influences. Just an amazing band.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I was briefly in a Police cover band.

I couldn't play that song without cramping up.

I used to cheat by playing an SG.

dansworld

You could always play the barre chord and just skip a string for the 9th. I've seen Andy Summers play it both ways.

However I love doing the stretch on the three adjacent strings, it's one of my favorite songs to play and it looks cool, too! I've been playing it for many years and don't cramp up at all. I do have moderately long fingers though.

eSS eSS

Instead of stretching from first to pinkie try stretching from the middle outwards. It's a subtle but very noticeable difference in comfort

M

member 124523

Andy is awesomly under rated even with how highly he is regarded. All of them really are amazing. Stuart accenting different beats than most would due to his influences. Just an amazing band.

I used to play this tune in a bar band. I still remember the day when our perfectionist drummer found out Copeland double tracked the drums.

Tim Bowen

You could try replacing the stretch grips.

--------
-----4-
--------
---6---
-4-----
--------

----------
----------
-------8-
----------
---11---
-9-------

As for dealing with the stretches, sitting vs. standing, posture, and length of strap/proximity of instrument all figure in, as does thumb placement on the back of the neck.

Last edited:

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
This riff is at the outer edge of my reach, too.
I envy players that can do it easily and also do the Chuck Berry thing up to the 7th, whereas I top out at the 6th.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
I used to play this tune in a bar band. I still remember the day when our perfectionist drummer found out Copeland double tracked the drums.
That is hilarious. Like trying to get a great double tracked tone and failing often. Or finding out they pulled the old spedded up track bit.

I think that is why so many of us got better. Trying to match tricks we didnt know.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Vai. Eric Johnson. Hendrix. And most notably Robert Johnson had/have such an advantage with those digits grafted on by our lizard overlords. Lol.

Clyde Billt

Gold Supporting Member
I naturally fall into the chord shape as that was how I learned it when it came out, but these days when I start to cramp (usually at the last section when the soloing starts) I tend to treat it as single cross string notes as @Tim Bowen describes, or instead of going to the 6th string A I use the open A string to give me a brief rest.

We have it in our set and my biggest problem is getting it to sound full when the other guitarist drops out (he's only doing the in between solo bits).
Quite a deep fast flange with the ADA and a bit of slapback echo is helping but I'm not quite nailing it yet.

Oh yeah...got that guitar way up high. Doesn't look cool, but makes it easier to keep my wrist straight.

Go Cat Go!!

I have small hands and I have no issues with that one... now! hahaha. Just practice, practice practice! It took fowever for me to get it down, As already mentioned thumb placement matters. My thumb is on the back of the neck not over it.

Another "hard" stretch is the Eb9th chord in Purple Rain.

1 - 6
2 - 8
3 - 10
4 - 8
5 - 6
6 - x

Trending Topics

Top Bottom