• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Message to manufacturers: PLEASE use glue over trimpots!

Van Leeuwen

I'm sick to buy pedals with tweaked trimpots... really... :cry:
I understand that they're required to perform an specific alignment in each pedal.
But after this, why they wasn't clogged with glue????

A little of history:
1) Voodoo Lab Microvibe (that was "new" (b-stock?), in local store)
2) Dunlop Uni-vibe. (twice: one used and another "new", again... returned both... :jo )
3) Deluxe Electric Mistress (totally ruined...).

Emailed to manufacturers, search in the web...and the problem/cause always was: T R I M P O T S :dunno

I know we the guitar players are curious animals, but to manufacturers: PLEASE! Use glue over trimpots!

What you think!?

Drak

Bicycles require much less maintenance and user knowledge than cars do.
Part of owning a car is understanding how to operate and maintain it.
That is all ;).

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
Silver Supporting Member
OP I definitely have been in your shoes. I sold a Diamond Halo Chorus that I bought "new" from tonefactor and when the guy emailed me to let me know it arrived fine, he said that he put the trim pot back to factory and it sounded great...I felt like a dumbass. Based on that, I think a simple line showing the factory defaults is all that's needed though.

Van Leeuwen

I understand that .. I forgot to mention that I've never touched a trimpot.
I think there's a lot of misinformation around the web... Many people recommend touching the trimpots as a "mod" when manufacturers NOT recommend at all.
There's people for everything..

erksin

Or you know, you could just take a Sharpie and mark the factory setting on it before you go crazy with the screwdriver.

Van Leeuwen

OP I definitely have been in your shoes. I sold a Diamond Halo Chorus that I bought "new" from tonefactor and when the guy emailed me to let me know it arrived fine, he said that he put the trim pot back to factory and it sounded great...I felt like a dumbass. Based on that, I think a simple line showing the factory defaults is all that's needed though.
Nice point: or maybe some "DONT TOUCH!" :rolleyes:

It's not rocket science.
You're right...it's not rocket science, but sometimes it's enough science to completely ruin a pedal, or need a oscilloscope to recover it.

they reason they're trimpots is so they can be tweaked.
I agree, but like I said: some trimpots are for tweak (are in trimpot format to simplificate or add some personality to the pedal), and others are just for fine tuning of some important component... no to vary the tone/sound. Just the exact point to work correctly.
For example amount of voltage that sent to a Op Amp or BBD.

Or you know, you could just take a Sharpie and mark the factory setting on it before you go crazy with the screwdriver.
Totally agree... not the previous owners...
I've never touched a trimpot: just purchased pedals with them tweaked.

I hope no offend anyone, just my opinion after having so many bad experiences with this issue.

jrcjoseph

That's what I do with your pedals! :aok

But for pedals with trimpots like the DM-2 (Thank God that one has some sort of seal over the trimpots so we can tell it's been tweaked!) glue would be nice to know if a previous user has tweaked/ruined it for us that don't have all the knowledge and equipment to rebias it.

Lolaviola

I think that if one has the temerity to open up a pedal and peer inside, then I think the rule is: If the pedal has a digital or analog 'clock' that affects time, than the trimpot should be treated as a Complex Machine, and one can then assume that calibrating such a device requires such devices as Oscilliscopes and the requisite knowledge to reference such a device, so LEAVE IT ALONE.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Van Leeuwen

I think that if one has the temerity to open up a pedal and peer inside, then I think the rule is: If the pedal has a digital or analog 'clock' that affects time, than the trimpot should be treated as a Complex Machine, and one can then assume that calibrating such a device requires such devices as Oscilliscopes and the requisite knowledge to reference such a device, so LEAVE IT ALONE.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
Exactly.
DEM is one.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
on a more serious note, iirc we used a dot of red nail polish on the pot-trimmer/side....it held the single-terns in place, and was relatively simple to 'break' the seal if needed for re-cal.

I'm sure it isn't ROHS compliant in some manner, but who cares about Rodents Of Humongous Size anyway?

mjtripper

Silver Supporting Member
yeah, I wish they would mark it somehow to the 'stock' setting so if it gets tweaked it can be moved back.

Van Leeuwen

Message to customers: PLEASE read the manual ;)
That would solve many problems. :aok
Like I said, there is much misinformation on the web... and although manufacturers recommend not to do that; some people do anyways.

Again: I hope no offend anyone, just my opinion after having so many bad experiences with this issue.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom