Met "Play It Loud" gear show in NYC

orourke

I went to this exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, my wife and I had a great time. They didn't have everything I would want to see but it was still a great afternoon. I took a couple of picks of the belt rash on some guitars that we've seen lot's of picture of.

Back of Clapton's Blackie

[/IMG]

Back of EVH's Frankenstrat
[/IMG]

The Rolling Stones Mellotron (2000 Light Years from Home)
[/IMG]

There was a lot of Who gear there, here's a little.
[/IMG]

Badtone

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting that, awesome stuff. I liked your pan of Keith Emerson's rig; I never knew he used ARP gear as well as Moog. You learn something every day :aok

Badtone

Silver Supporting Member
Knives in the keyboard. I miss Mr. Emerson.
Yep; I read Keith's auto biography and was using ordinary kitchen knives for the trick. This was in The Nice era. One of their roadies brought some of his dagger collection and gave them to Keith, saying he needed "proper knives" if he was to continue the trick. The roadies name was Lemmy Kilmister...

BenoA

Visited it in June. Worth going. Even my wife who is not much into guitars liked the exhibit very much. It could have been even bigger.

I really liked the 4 videos interviews (Tom Morello was very interesting) and the companion rig in display.

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
Yep; I read Keith's auto biography and was using ordinary kitchen knives for the trick. This was in The Nice era. One of their roadies brought some of his dagger collection and gave them to Keith, saying he needed "proper knives" if he was to continue the trick. The roadies name was Lemmy Kilmister...
Same story I heard. Actually my memory says I heard it from a Lemmy interview and I believe it. It suits both of them. Thanks for bringing that up...

zowenso

Does anyone know what Mick Jagger donated to the show? I see his name up on the wall at the end and I don’t remember seeing his name associated with any guitar info I read during the show.

zowenso

I thought the show was great. Page’s number 1 was in surprisingly good shape - certainly compared to Blackie.
Pages #1 was the reason I went and I agree. Although there were a few marks that got my attention. What looked like a cigarette burn in the cut away and a big ding in the edge closest to his stomach. I’d like to know the stories with those.

zowenso

Great pics, zowenso. Low string action.
If I had one complaint about the show and this is just me complaining really, lol, it’s that the glass and lighting made it so tough to take photos. I know the show wasn’t about taking photos, but even not taking photos there was a lot of glare on the glass that made it so you really had to be at the right angle to see some of the guitars clearly. I noticed this most on the back side of Pages #1. It was kind of dark and hard to see down the back of Pages guitar down near the bottom strap button. It was so much glare and reflection from the lights. I’m not sure how they could have avoided it though.

Trending Topics