Met Rudy Sarzo this weekend

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
seems like these old 80s bands find young replacement singers that are much more able than the aging singer they replace. I’m not into this music anymore at all but find I have a strange fascination with aging 80s rockers. I find it interesting to see how they adapt or don’t.

I'm not sure how many 80s rockers will be covered specifically, but I'm interested in reading this book when it's released at the end of June:

Exit Stage Left: The curious afterlife of pop stars

Bankston

It's cool that Rudy is honoring Frankie's wishes and keeping the Quiet Riot brand going.

My old band opened for them a few years ago before Frankie got sick and Jizzy was singing for them the first time (he's fronting the band again now). Chuck Wright (who played on the Metal Health album) was playing bass back then. It was very gracious of Chuck to step aside so Rudy could step back in. Alex Grossi has played guitar for them since 2006.

QR has had more lineups than Spinal Tap.

6strang

Silver Supporting Member
71 years young! Love his spirit and musical soul. He focuses his energy in all the right places. Go Rudy!

Yer Blues

Yes, its Awesome that he is still at it. On the other hand, after all he has done, it Kinda bummed me that he was playing in Sand Mtn Alabama with what is basically a Quiet Riot cover band.

He was worried about missing the show after our plane broke down on the runway. we were a couple hours late but he did make it to the show. I saw video. Quiet Riot was the opener before Winger and Skid Row. Looked like a good turnout.

seems like these old 80s bands find young replacement singers that are much more able than the aging singer they replace. I’m not
I'm a 90s kid, but like all music... well at least good rock n' roll from all eras. Seems like a lot of them do multi-band fly in dates which it seems like Rudy was doing. George Lynch has done some podcast were he talks about the economics of this stuff. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders about it while still killing it on the guitar.

You have to think being in a band in 70s and 80s didn't come with a retirement plan and not everyone made as much money as the bigger acts like Ozzy, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, GNR.... they income doesn't hurt and most of them probably still enjoy playing.

I actually enjoy the pacing, tension and ending of this story. Well done.
Next time I will try to memorize what is in his shopping cart. I wouldn't have recognized him other I've seen him around before and saw a recent picture on social media. Next time our bass player can't make a gig maybe I'll see if he can fill in.

Coopster

I'm a 90s kid, but like all music... well at least good rock n' roll from all eras. Seems like a lot of them do multi-band fly in dates which it seems like Rudy was doing. George Lynch has done some podcast were he talks about the economics of this stuff. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders about it while still killing it on the guitar.

You have to think being in a band in 70s and 80s didn't come with a retirement plan and not everyone made as much money as the bigger acts like Ozzy, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, GNR.... they income doesn't hurt and most of them probably still enjoy playing.

Next time I will try to memorize what is in his shopping cart. I wouldn't have recognized him other I've seen him around before and saw a recent picture on social media. Next time our bass player can't make a gig maybe I'll see if he can fill in.
Honestly I took it as an indictment of Bobby Dall's character after the statement about Rudy's personality. I've heard he's not overly nice and in every interview I've ever seen of him, it's how he comes across. So, I was honest in my assessment of your delivery. :D

Yer Blues

Honestly I took it as an indictment of Bobby Dall's character after the statement about Rudy's personality. I've heard he's not overly nice and in every interview I've ever seen of him, it's how he comes across. So, I was honest in my assessment of your delivery. :D

I got no idea. Most of the time I don't even want to talk to people I know when I run in to them at the grocery store, much less someone I don't know. It looked like he was talking to the checkout girl about a coupon.... I thought it was pretty funny.

squeally dan

I got no idea. Most of the time I don't even want to talk to people I know when I run in to them at the grocery store, much less someone I don't know. It looked like he was talking to the checkout girl about a coupon.... I thought it was pretty funny.
Haha. Getting his half off his LuckyCharms?

Doesnt he have huge tour coming up with Motley Crue and Def Lep?

Yer Blues

Haha. Getting his half off his LuckyCharms?

Doesnt he have huge tour coming up with Motley Crue and Def Lep?
Yeah.... I have no desire to go, but I'm interested to see how many bands use tracks and how ticket sales are.... pretty sure it is mostly stadiums. I'm wondering if there is enough people interested in these bands in 2022 to fill stadiums.

squeally dan

Yeah.... I have no desire to go, but I'm interested to see how many bands use tracks and how ticket sales are.... pretty sure it is mostly stadiums. I'm wondering if there is enough people interested in these bands in 2022 to fill stadiums.
Exactly my thoughts. No interest in going. I do have a Ellington there are plenty of 80s folks that will go for the nostalgi.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Exit Stage Left: The curious afterlife of pop stars
Indeed.
If you are not Sting, Paul, Jimmy or Elton (all Brits for some reason) but let's say household names, I know there are some others who still have done financially very well, things could get rough as it does in sports that can create short term gain but long term pain.
Where's that cutoff point between enough ongoing income and sliding into poverty?

AND- no company pension, too young for the dole, don't qualify for pogey, you better learn some marketable skill in a hurry.
Which is really what we all have had to do at some point.
If a consistent musical gig can pay the bills that would be a bonus.

Top Bottom