Met Vinnie Moore last night at Lowe's??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blynn894, Aug 26, 2011.

1. george nada

george nada Member

way back in the day when he was first comin up, he did a guitar clinic at this place, i forget the name of it, but it was behind the mcdonald's in elsmere. i came in there the day before because i was shopping for another guitar. he was there for whatever reason. i was butchering a motley crue song and he came over and showed me how it was done. i didn't know who he was then, he hadn't even done his solo stuff yet, prolly about 83 or 84.

2. pluto

pluto Member

wow-that's a cool story!! At first I didn't think he would fit with UFO but he has done a great job filling in for Schenker.

3. Brian D

Brian D Member

I do too, but I have no way of playing them!

4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

There ain't enough wood at Lowe's for Vinnie's woodshed my brothas.

beanbass likes this.
  5. willc68

willc68 Member

That place would be the old Mid Atlantic Music.

I grew up in New Castle and that was the music store to go to.

I also loved Vinnie's music,saw him play a few times but never met him but everyone I ever heard speak of him always said he was down to earth and nice not like some of the guitar greats out of JF.

Vinnie is a few years older than me but I am pretty sure that he took the same shop class that I ended up taking at Hodgson, which was Industrial Electronics.

6. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Mind's Eye is still one of my favorite albums from that era. I also really like the album The Maze.
    I'm glad Vinnie's been able to continue to make a living playing music, despite the changing trends/times.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Member

8. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

That is a cool story and he seems like a nice/cool guy

I think this is his first CD with UFO from about 2004 or 05, i dont know much about his pre UFO or shredding days but i do like his playing on this CD, very tasty and melodic with some shred thrown in, nice stuff!

:phones

9. smokey

smokey Member

I knew this thread was going to go in this direction. Some guys are just first rate human beings.

Around '97 I lived in the apartments directly behind the Westheimer Guitar Center in Houston. (Seriously, I could walk there in 15 seconds) My guitar playing buddy knocked on my door and said he was over at the GC and Vinnie Moore was setting up to do a demo for Music Man guitars.

I didnt know him but my friend was excited and I went along. He jumped up in a Flyers jersey (I'm from Detroit, but I forgave him) and did a hilarious routine where he played amazing licks against backing tracks and ran off a series of one liners that most comedians would envy.

When he was done he treated everyone who spoke to him like a long last friend. I never forgot that day and made it a point to listen to his music. Pure class.

beanbass likes this.
  10. george nada

george nada Member

yes! mid atlantic! they used to be on union st for a while, then down in elsemere, then somewhere else after that before they folded up for good, if i remember correctly. it's been a while. one of my buddies used to go there with $90 and get one of those pointy hondo guitars, play it a while, trade it for drugs, later on get another one. he musta had a dozen of them, over time.
    one pup, one knob, cheap whammy like on a squier.
    vinnie's a year older than me, but somehow i never knew any of his crowd. i never went to hodgson, i went to wilm high. as small as ncc is though, we are close to the same age, we might know some of the same people.

11. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

He's playin' with UFO now....Their most recent album "The Visitor" was pretty good....

12. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

This is still the song I use if someone wants to hear the Klipsch Chorus II speakers cranked with my stereo:

13. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I spent 20 minutes talking to Vinnie after he played Slim's in S.F. in support of "Meltdown." Guitar World had given it a very lukewarm review, so I told Vinnie what an outrage that was, and--if there were any justice--"Meltdown" would do for him what "Surfing..." had done for Satriani. He was very down to Earth, very happy to chat, and seemed to need the pep talk a little bit. It was the most time I have ever spent talking to a musician of his caliber. I walked out to my car saying, "Damn! THAT was cool!"

14. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Vinnie is an awesome guy and an awesome player. I took several pictures at a UFO show and wrote a review on my blog. He proceded to find a way to message me and thanked me for the post. Don't see that often!

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I met Joe Walsh at Home Depot in Encinitas, CA. I think we are on to something.