Metal Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Aug 1, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I was wondering what people could recommend for an amp if I'm going for a Trivium and Bullet for My Valentine thing. Out are: Mesa boogie, Bogner, VHT, Framus, Engl. I'm afraid my Makoplex might not be the best fit for this sort of thing, so anything you guys could think of would be great.

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I believe Trivium use Marshall DSL's (w/ tube screamer pushing the front) and Krank amps. Matt Heafy was using EMG's along with the Marshall and Tube Screamer (may have changed his setup recently). That was a key part to their rhythym sound.

3. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

i'd get a diezel herbert over any of the amps mentioned above. though i know trivium are using the krankenstein heads , and the dean dimebag razorback guitars with dimebucker pickups. so if you wanna sound like them exactly ? get those pieces of gear....though personally i dont like krank...and would go with a diezel.

4. fenderbender4

No I don't want to sound exactly like them (need to be somewhat original) but an amp that can handle that sort of distortion and bottom end requirement. I don't like Kranks just out of the fact that they pulled some shady stuff over at harmony central.

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Mesa MKIV, VHT pitbull.

:JAM

6. sosomething

sosomething Member

If you rule out mesa, vht, bogner, engl, and framus, you're limiting yourself pretty heavily... is there some reason you've ruled out those manufacturers?

Barring that, there's always the biased and boosted 5150 for crushing metal tones.

7. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

If you don't have a set price range you could go with the Egnater stuff. I'm using an M4 rack preamp (modular preamp) and a Mesa Boogie 50/50 for my power amp. You can have up to 4 modules in the preamp and you can select whatever type of sound you are looking for. If you talk to Bruce he will do customized modules for you too, so he can change parts of the preamp to sound more like what you're looking for. I think a Modded SL+ module would work well for you as Matt Heafy STILL uses a DSL 100! I saw one of the first music videos for Bullet For My Valentine and they had a Marshall DSL or TSL in the background, so I have a feeling they're also using that same type of amp to get the similar tone. I myself LOVE both bands so in my Egnater M4 I have: 1 custom module, E'Rect, EG3/4 module and the Randall 1086 module. It works for me!

8. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

original 5150.

9. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i dont think boogies are realy a good guitar tone just my thought...

10. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

The VHT Deliverance is pretty balls out for metal if one channel is not an issue. The Diezel Herbert would be my choice for pure brutality with a ton of flexibility.

JT

11. fenderbender4

I heard the VHT deliverance doesn't have enough gain (don't know if it's true or not) also, I don't like the sort of dryness of the Ultra Lead.

12. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

ABSOLUTELY !!..............the 5150 mk1 / 6505 Peavey Head has distortion that will literally rip your face off and you can have it on TWO channels , ideal for solo boost and it has 120 watts of power, thats your question answered dude.

For metal, those amps will do exactly what you are looking for.

Jimmy

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Try out the Rivera Knucklehead Reverb.

It's built like a tank and versatile. Reasonable prices on used ones in good condition ($1000-1200). It works from classic rock to Slipknot.

stratzrus

14. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker Member

Try a Hoffmann Valkyrie. Each note has punch.

15. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

It's pretty aggressive. It had more than enough gain for Tool and similar music.

JT

16. Orren

Orren Member

There's also the Randall versions, the MTS series amps. Not custom, but still very good.

Orren <-- Current RM100 owner, with an Egnater MOD50 on order!