Metal amp

Jeff J

I have been looking into replacing my old Line 6 Spider IV 75 watts as I am not happy with the tones I am getting. I play mostly Metallica, Slayer and Machine Head. I only play in my basement and I am not in a band.

I would like to get a tube amp or at the minimum an hybrid and have been looking into the Orange Micro Dark and Joyo Zombie. What would be the best amp to suit my needs? Any other suggestions? Would the 6505MH worth the extra money?

Axe-Man

Machine Head uses a 5150 which is a 6505. I’d go the 6505MH. Just need a V30 cab to go with it.

You ‘could’ potentially get a 6505 and cab in a deal second hand for the price of the 6505MH by itself if you look. They can have excellent master volumes for big amps and sound great at home.

Calebz

Budget, basement, no band. Micro dark or zombie sounds like a winner. Both are great little amps. I've had a micro dark, and I currently have a zombie (as well as a couple other of the little Joyo bantamps). Excellent little amps for the money. I gig with a Joyo meteor fairly regularly

Last edited:
I have been looking into replacing my old Line 6 Spider IV 75 watts as I am not happy with the tones I am getting. I play mostly Metallica, Slayer and Machine Head. I only play in my basement and I am not in a band.

I would like to get a tube amp or at the minimum an hybrid and have been looking into the Orange Micro Dark and Joyo Zombie. What would be the best amp to suit my needs? Any other suggestions? Would the 6505MH worth the extra money?
What's your budget?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Dark Terror was on sale a while back, might be able to find one for a price you can live with!

I was thinking $400-500 Canadian including a cab. I know I will have to go used for either the amp or cab or both. I saw both the micro dark and zombie at $160-180 CAD used.
That could be some hard sledding. I'd be skeptical of an Orange delivering the tight bottom end of those bands you've listed, myself. They seem a bit mushy/middy for those styles, which rely on scooped mids, seems to me. A hybrid or even an SS Randall might deliver that better, and fit your budget better.

I don't play those styles so don't have more specific advice, and sorry for that. Happy hunting to you and let us know what you find.

Jeff J

Machine Head uses a 5150 which is a 6505. I’d go the 6505MH. Just need a V30 cab to go with it.

You ‘could’ potentially get a 6505 and cab in a deal second hand for the price of the 6505MH by itself if you look. They can have excellent master volumes for big amps and sound great at home.
Would it be worth the extra $ over the Zombie?

Emigre

If I'm not mistaken, the Dark Oranges are single channel amps. That would be a problem because in these styles, there's often clean sections in between the riffage.

A 2 channel amp would be necessary, and probably a solo boost.

I'll say this, IME tube amps want to get loud for modern gain tones. Yes, even the little ones get very loud. Low volume high gain is modeller territory IMO (and I'm usually a tube guy).

My best suggestion is to keep this in mind, and head to a shop and try some out.

DonP

I've been playing Metallica and Megadeth on a Marshall DSL1HR and I'm very happy with the tone. I was afraid 1 watt would suck in the bottom, but not at all with this amp. Go check out the "Will it Chug" series on youtube.

I'm using either a 4x10 sealed can or a single V30 in a sealed box. Mucho bottom end.

MmcGrouty

Make sure you invest in a good cab, no matter what amp you buy. It’s much more important than you would think. A large 1x12 with a V30 would work with the stuff you play.

T Dizz

Look in the Randall Diavlo 20. My friend had one and it was a great metal amp.

Emigre

Another suggestion is the trusty Blackstar HT-5.

It will do considerable gain at reasonable volumes.

Jeff J

Make sure you invest in a good cab, no matter what amp you buy. It’s much more important than you would think. A large 1x12 with a V30 would work with the stuff you play.
Any good suggestions? I was thinking of building one but it looks like it would cost more than just buying.

Jecht

With that budget I would recommend either the Joyo zombie or VIVO and a one of the Harley Benton cabs with Vintage 30s.

I'd suggest an Orange OR15 here! It's a beast of an amo and can certainly do high gain.

Here's my playthrough, plugged straight in with just a strat, from clean to very high gain!

In a pinch, an interface running some pluggins can definitely be made to sound good, provided you have some decent speakers to go through. Plus you'll be ready to record with great quality at a moment's notice!
Here's what I'm getting straight in the free demo version of Amplitube 4:

Plus you can also run some pedals in for even more heavy yet dynamic tones:

Rock on, good Sir! Oh and welcome to the forum!:D

Trending Topics