1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Metal Base GZ34

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by muddy, Oct 2, 2006.

1. muddy

muddy Member

anyone recognize this code etched on the metal base?

CV2 57F

i THINK it's a phillips miniwatt, but i can't figure out the code. i've seen

TV2 57F

more frequently (well, as frequently as you SEE these babies). it's an AWESOME sounding tube, it produces a much fatter, harmonically rich tone than anything i've heard before, including mullards (yes, that's NOT exactly a narrow categorization, i know), but just generally speaking. anyway, anyone recognize the code? mike?

ml

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Given a GZ34 is a rectifier tube I think you *may* be exaggerating the effect it has on the signal. :)

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's been a while since I've seen one of those. Can't remember the codes.

4. muddy

muddy Member

i originally would have thought so, too, but was i WAY wrong! the diff is rather dramatic. at least with this rectifier. if you could stand beside me while i swap out rectifiers, you'd hear the exact same thing. it ain't no exaggeration, is it, mike?

ml

5. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I have to agree with Muddy. The Metal base GZ34 are the best of the best, and will affect the tone quite a bit. I have a few Ill never sell, and I own and have owned a lot of Mullards, Tele's Phillips etc. too. All made in the same plant and time frame, while they are quite good. The improvent in tone from the metal base is even better.I know its been well covered before, but a good rectifier tube will make as much improvement as a good 12ax7. Just my opinion mind you.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

If you hear it, it must be real! I know that the differences between new production and NOS 5AR4s can be very apparent.

This crap about "it's in the power supply so it can't affect tone" is just that, crap!

7. guitarman_1

Thats a fact Mike!
    +1 on your comments

8. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Well a couple of things come to mind. If it improves the tone is it because it is serving up more voltage to the circuit than a bogey GZ34/5AR4 or perhaps less? This is something easily measured. Can this voltage affect tone? You betcha. But there are probably as many folks that will claim less sounds better than there are those who'll claim more sounds better. If more sounds better to you then maybe, gasp, a solid state rectifier will improve it even more? :)

If there's more to it, I welcome a discussion on this. :)

Cheers!
    DJ

9. brad347

brad347 Member

if a cap job can affect tone, then by all means a rectifier tube could, too.

When I replaced the G***** T**** rectifier in my 65 deluxe non-reverb with a Mullard the difference was drastic.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Static voltage (DC voltage with no signal through the amp) definitely affects tone. Dynamic response (current delivery as a function of load) is at least equally important. This is not a one dimensional phenomenon.

Since a SS rectifier has no internal resistance, it won't necessarily sound "better" than a tube rectifier which produces the same output voltage.

11. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

It is two-dimensional. If it weren't then the conduction plot would be appreciably different. :) I'm well aware that a rectifier is not a linear device so my question is how does the conduction curve of this metal base GZ34 compare with a more common type? Is it serving up more or less voltage under light load? More or less under medium load? More or less under heavy load?

12. guitarman_1

Im not an engineer by any means, but there are some things in audio that measurements cant explain. While scientist/electrical engineers will claim that is BS, its a fact to us who dable in audio. The gassing, materials purity, age, all come into play. Some of the old formulas for metal are simply not available anymore. All this affects tone, It should not according to those in the know. If it measures the same it must sound the same. Well no. Some of the reasons old amps sound better is the trannies and old caps and resistors. Newer parts may spec the same but wont sound the same. Has to do with material used to make the parts. Trivial but true.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The only scientists who would debate this are those who've forgotten that they don't know everything (which is most common in the most educated among us).

This probably has more dimensions than we realize.

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

How it transations between load points is probably just as important and not easilly quantifiable.

I'm content to know that they do sound different.

15. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I think what you are saying is that YOU hear it so it MUST be true. :(

16. brad347

brad347 Member

aren't you saying that since you can't measure it, it MUST NOT be true? :(

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I personally haven't heard it, but I agree with your synopsis.

The bottom line is what you hear, not how or if you can "prove" it on paper.

Plus, I'd be willing to bet that you CAN quantify it. I'm just not inclined to spend time proving something that people perceive to be true.

18. muddy

muddy Member

found it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amperex GZ34, metal base, double getters, branded Philips Miniwatt.

ml

19. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

:) Hmmm...

20. brad347

brad347 Member