Metal Handles for Pedaltrains?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tinkercity, Dec 19, 2009.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Where do you guys get those little metal "roll bar" style handles that I've seen retrofitted to pedaltrains? I've got a Pro on it's way and wanted to look into this.

Also, any guidance on how to install them would be awesome!

:banana

2. alexn

alexn Member

I got mine at Orchard Supply (OSH), but I've seen them also at Home Depot and Lowe's. Look for drawer/cabinet door handles, they have dozens of options.

It's really a 5 minute job, nothing to it...

I drilled holes on the side bars of the PT: a small one on the top side to fit the screw that comes with the bar, and a larger one on the bottom side to allow me to fit a screwdriver to secure it. Handle goes on top, screw comes up from the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the lo-res photos, but you get the idea.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. tinkercity

Nice. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you drill a hole(s) through the aluminum?

4. alexn

alexn Member

I drilled the small hole from the top and the large one from the bottom, through the aluminum. This way, any rough edges end up on the inside of the square PT bar, out of sight/touch.

5. tinkercity

Thanks for the ideas!

6. tinkercity

One question, the cabinet handles I bought have screws that once screwed in, leave about 3/4 to 1 inch of screw hanging out of the handle... i.e. the screw isn't flush with the bottom of the handle when fully screwed in...

Did you experience this? Mine look just like yours.

Also, are the pedaltrain aluminum bars hollow? Once you drill the big hole on the bottom of the bar is it hollow up to the top where you drilled your small hole?

I think I may need to get shorter screws or exchange the handles...

Thanks!

7. brandonblakemusic

brandonblakemusic Member

I want to do this too. Where did you get the plugs for the bottom?

8. alexn

alexn Member

Yes, the PT alu bars are hollow. I remember having a little bit of extra length on the screw and I made up for it with some plastic washers, but metal will also work. 3/4" or 1" seems too long, though, you should try to find shorter screws.

Bblake, I didn't plug the bottom holes, but that'd be a nice idea. You should be able to find plastic plugs at the hardware store or Home Depot type warehouse. I'd buy the plug first and then drill the large hole accordingly.