Metal Muff vs Pocket Metal Muff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ben_allison, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I've heard reports that the Pocket Metal Muff, despite having less than half the controls, actually sounds better than the full blown Metal Muff. Apparently it's voiced perfectly.

Anyone have experience with the two pedals? I love my Metal Muff, but of course, there is some room for improvement.

2. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

I like the more intricate EQ possibilities of the "big" MM, though I have to say that the "boost" function is worthless... without it, the pedal sounds muffled. I see it as a 4th EQ knob and leave it always on. EQd right it cuts like no other pedal I've heard.
    Of course, it takes up a bit of real estate, and if you don't have that and aren't into the tweaking side as much, I'd tell you to go for the smaller version any day. It didn't seem to sound "better" to my ears though.
    Hope that helps

~Andy

3. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Yeah, I always leave the top boost on as well. It's just kind of like a presence control.

Thanks Andy.

4. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

I demoed all three on two separate occasions and wound up going with the Pocket. There really isn't that much of a price difference, so that wasn't even a factor. The Pocket really sounds much more focused-- wherever you heard that, I'll go a big, fat +1. All three are excellent, but the Pocket just seems to "have it" right out of the box at any setting.

5. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

hmm. well they're so cheap. i could probably pick a pocket mm up for like $40 used. worth a shot!

6. ungarn

ungarn Member

I liked the Nano tone a tad better than the Top Boost version...the smaller real estate is a bonus, and I never used the Top Boost for what it was designed for.