Metal Panel Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Gearhead, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

What are the big differences between a Plexi and a Metal Panel (Ali?) Marshall? Mostly with respect to component and/or component values?

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

Marshalls made lots of minor changes to their amps over the years, but there are no circuitry changes that coincide with the panel change that occured in 1969, it was purely a cosmetic change. A Super Lead made in May 1969 with a plexi panel will be identical on the inside to a Super Lead made in September with a metal panel.

3. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Granted, let me be more specific.

When speaking of Metal Panel, I mean the Marshall circa 72-73 circuit. It seems to have more "attack" when overdriven and is a bit brighter.

4. Swarty

Swarty Member

The lead amps got continually "tweaked" for additional brightness and gain from their inception until about late '68. The further back you go, the darker and cleaner sounding they get. There was little or no changes to the amps from late '68 until about '72 or '73 when at that time they lost a cathode cap, thus loosing some gain and brightness. Amps from '72 have a reputation as being particularly aggressive, I owned a '72 SL and can attest to the nasty disposition. It could be that the OTs from this era had a different impedence? One thing that is unique to these amps are little yellow "chicklet" caps used throughout the circuit rather than the traditional "mustard" caps.

5. seyfert

seyfert Member

Very interesting info SWARTY, thinks this is why that should look around after an early/ pre 68 Marshall.:drool who likes to get the dark brown sound?!:AOK
    -but unfortunately the more expensiv modells....

And if i like a dark distortion (a little bit of Iommi), what Marshall era fits best? :confused:

6. Swarty

Swarty Member

If you are fond of the early, darker plexi sound just buy any '60s or '70s Super Bass which is essentially an early Super Lead...or 100w JTM45 whichever way you want to look at it (later ones have more filtering, which is OK)....

7. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

If youre into Sabbath tones you will cop em with an early metalface.
    I wouldnt be going for the 100w though,
    You've gotta crank em if you want to get anywhere near that big power tube breakup crunch sound.
    The good thing about them though is they still sound great with a drive pedal at any level.

It will work nicely though.

Very nicely..:crazy

8. Swarty

Swarty Member

If you are after Sabbath tones, just get a Laney Klipp. All the quality of an early Marshall, less dough, and no pedal required! Essentially a Marshall Super Bass with a gained up front end.

9. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

For kicks, I've started looking for the Laney Klipp. Can't find any anywhere. Must be one of those that just pops up now and again.