Metal pedal: MT2/Fang/Muff/Morpheus/Gain Fxxker/Blackstar/etc

ben_allison

Ok. So, I use to have a Keeley-modded MT-2. It made my Dr Z28 sound like a modern-metal machine. I mean, it really got me close to Bogner/Diesel/5150 through a closed 4x12 cab tones, out of a "vintagely" voiced open back 2x10! It had a mildly synthetic/mechanistic quality that I kinda liked, but a fizziness that I didn't.

So, now I have a Tube Zone. Good for some things, but cannot get where the MT-2 did in terms of tone sculpting, low-end thud, or modern and brutal gain (and yes, I do need it, on occasion).

So here's what I'm considering, with observations based on clips I've heard and things I've read:

MT-2 with Indyguitarist "Diezner" Mod
Some say it's better than the Keeley mod. Is this true? Will it end my search?

Righteous Tones Fang
The clip on their site sounds a bit harsh, but it's also going direct. If it can sound that good direct, it could only get better in front of an amp, right? Ideas? Does it thump?

Metal Muff, Metal Muff Micro
Concerned it might be a constipated sounding, leaning a bit more on the fuzz side, less so on the solid wallop side.

G2D Morpheus
Read tons of great things. The clip on their site sounds a bit choked and constipated though. Having only 1 tone control concerns me unless the inherent tone is spot on. Is it constipated/farty or is that just a bad clip?

Gain Fxxker
Have heard no clips. It's too pricey to take a gamble on...

Blackstar
Clips are ok. Seems like it might be more fuzzy and have less wallop than the MT-2 did.

I also considered the Krank Distortus Maxiums and the HBE Full Metal Jacket. Both sound smallish and more old school than what I'm looking for. The Damage Control pedals are way too huge and expensive. Thought about AMT but I've read mixed reviews (plus their site is all in Russian now!).

Recap: the Keeley MT-2 made my Z28 2x10 sound pretty hardcore. It had a fizziness I didn't like, but I'd say it got me 90% there -- it had guts, thump, and brutality -- it really added a lot of low-end punch and energy to the signal, and was voiced well for modern rock. I now have a Tube Zone, and it's close but not ballsy enough or mean enough; it's just not voiced right for what I'm after.

How do the other pedals I mentioned compare?

Is the Indyguitarist mod going to be the solution or would the other pedals be worth trying first?

Help brothers!

ben_allison

Ah yes! Forgot about that one.

From the clips I heard it seemed to lack a kind of "smooth" quality. It sounded more "crunchy" and a bit more like a fuzz.

It had that same kind of "constipated" sound that I thought the Morpheus had. That's one thing the MT-2 actually does well (even stock). It sounds open, not choked. The clipping is smooth (even thought the frequency response isn't).

If I can paint a picture:

I want less Harley, more chainsaw.

porsch8

I had a Gain fixxer pedal not that long ago:

I felt like i actually had a hard time dialing in a good rhythm tone out of it. I thought it had superior lead qualities...very virtuoso feeling especially with a neck pickup.

However, I think for a metal pedal, you want to have EQ flexibility.
I used to have a Zoom Tri Metal....very good pedal for the money

johndara

Silver Supporting Member
Go to Metalpedals.com. One of the best heavy metal pedals I've ever tried. No fizz, just pure metal tone. And talk about thump! Day-umm!Very under rated pedals..you don't hear much talk about them on here.

Roodboy

Do you have the 6 knob or 3 knob Tubezone? I was able to dial in the 6 knob much better than the 3. It has a boatload of higain tones.

ben_allison

I have the 3 knob, but I've played around with the internal controls. I thought that sonically the 3 and 6 knob versions were the same, just that the internal pots were moved to the outside.

Anyone have feedback on the pedals I'm considering?

crockett

Picked up a Metal Muff a month or so ago. I like the pedal, but it does have it's drawbacks. I never use it without the Top Boost as the sound is too concentrated on the bass for what I'm going for. It's very noisy, I only have a Boss Metal Core to compare against, for high gain pedals, but the Boss is much more quiet. Individual notes can get lost in the wash.

It's a loose type of distortion if that makes any sense, the Metal Core is much tighter and compact, the Metal Muff sounds like a bunch of angry bees in a can, the more gain, the more bees. Very nice for pinch harmonics (especially when combined with the Tim for an unbelievable high gain sound out of a single coil Strat, thinking Cemetary Gates) and palm muting. The EQ control works well and it creates a great modern sound.

ben_allison

On Harmony Central, the one quality most people talked about was how little noise there was for a high gain pedal... as in, almost dead silent when not playing.

The top boost does seem like a cool feature.

Definitely don't want angry bees though!

crockett

Angry bees in a good way. I'm using a single coil Strat and that probably has a lot to do with the noise. In my pedal chain I run Tim->ML-2->Metal Muff, the Metal Muff is the only pedal which is so noisy that it will trigger the lowest signal level bars on the clipping meter to flash. I just recorded a pedalboard demo .mp3 for one of my buddies to show it off and for whatever reason, I made a point of out the Muff being noisy. Not playing anything, just stomping those 3 overdrives on/off while muting the strings, you can easily hear the difference (and they were all set to provide similar volume levels). But like I said, I only have a Boss ML-2 to compare against, I haven't tried any of the other contenders to compare noise. It should also be said the ML-2 can't make wicked pinch haromincs half as well.

gearboy

Zoom Tri-Metal.....hellacious.....only 'metal' distortion pedal I own.

I played the GainFXXker.....it wants to be an Uberschall, but I didn't think it had enough cut for live use.

....you could always give that Landmine a shot........

GuiltySpark

Wondering if any of y'all had tried the MXR DD-11 Dimebag pedal? I've heard a few good comments, but can't find any good clips to listen to. I totally don't expect to get Dime tone, but am also in the market for a good metal rhythm pedal. I have plenty of boost/OD to stack on top to handle solos....

GuiltySpark

Also, I haven't heard Brian's Diezner mod. But I like the clips of the SLO/Diezel from Humphrey Audio...

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
I've had a lot of "metal" pedals, including:

Fang (both versions-I'm selling the newer one now)
Rocktron Metal Planet
Rocktron Rampage
AMT Du Hast
AMT Fatal Tube
Zoom Tri-Metal
MXR Double Shot
G2D Morpheus
MI Tube Zone (both v2 & v3)
Blackstar (twice)
EMMA Reeza
Metal Muff
and probably a dozen more I can't recall.

Currently, I'm using the Morpheus thru an MXR 6-band eq, and for those Metallica/Pantera "thump in the chest" moments, a (gasp!) Line 6 Uber Metal. I can cover pretty much any "metal" sound needed with these 2 pedals.
For years the Rocktron Metal Planet was my go-to metal pedal, replaced by the Du Hast.

The Line 6 has tons of sounds in it, and the built-in gate is a lifesaver.

utterhack

tm-01.jpg

pic-openh0701-01-lg.jpg

dsc00223am4.jpg

ben_allison

I'd love to give the Mena a try but it might be a while til it hits stores :S

And sadly I can't justify the price of the Openhaus.

Tri-Metal might be cool to try, but I'm wondering about it's versatility. It seems perfect if you want to sound like Meshuggah... but how much else?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom