Metal Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fenderbender4, May 7, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Hey, I need a good pedal that can get a good modern rock scooped mid, tight bottom sound (like Mesa or Diezel). I have been looking at an AMT Extreme III, Jacques Fuseblower II, Catalinabread Super Charged Overdrive, MI Audio Tone Zone, and a Subdecay Stupid Box. I don't want a fuzz. Which one would be good? Specifically, how would the Catalinabread one be?

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

There are sound clips of the Super Charged Overdrive on the Catalinbread website now, give it a listen. It isn't Mesa or Diezel though, think more stoner rock, big low end and thick mids... but not modern. Almost like a Matamp sound.

-TJK

3. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

the catalin bread would sound nothing like a mesa or diezel. supposedly a modded metal zone with the mods from indyguitarist.com gets that sound. there's a clip on the site, and it sounds great to me. i was considering going that route myself. the only other pedals i know of that get that sort of thing are the emma reezafratzitz, and the tone bone hot british.

4. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Beleive it or not, you should check out the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal....

5. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

As the guy who makes the Stupid Box, I'd like to say its probably not what you are looking for.

It's not scooped at all, and has a very 70's type flavor to it. It's more black sabbath/Queens of the stoneage type tone. I dont want you to be dissappointed.

I also know nick from catalinbread, and have been over to his house a few times. The Super charged overdrive is probably closer to what you are looking for, but not sure if it will get you all the way there... maybe with an eq pedal.

I tried a fuseblower while i was in austin as well... It seemed to me that there was sort of a tube screamer sound to it, but with more gain and tone control. I actually didnt spend much time with it though, so dont put too much weight on that one.

Havent tried any of the others yet.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Fuseblower and don't think it's anything like what you're describing. How about the Mesa Vtwin?

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Search the soundclips section for Line 6 Uber Metal......John Ziegler has a clip that kills.

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

EMMA ReezaFRATzitz...NAILS what you're looking for!

9. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I had a Damage Control Demonizer for a short while that is hands down the metal-ist, metal pedal I've ever heard. Very flexible, tons of gain, pre and post EQs, compressor built in. Very serious piece of gear. If I was into high gain, I would have kept it. Not cheap, though.

10. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

Although ive never played one... this one does have a very good reputation for getting "stack in a box tone" although i was under the impression that it was a little more vintage sounding than modern.

I must eventually own one just because of the name.

11. Fretts

Fretts Member

Well, don't laugh, but when was the last time you went back and had another look at the Metal Zone? Parametric EQ, active bass & treble boost.
    Some of the settings are just brutal.

12. gearboy

gearboy Member

VS Jekyll&Hyde, Carl Martin Plexitone, AMT Extreme III, or Distortion Station, Zoom TriMetal, or Hyperlead, TB Hot British.

13. MattB

MattB Member

Modded MT-2 is pretty killer.

14. fenderbender4

I think I'm gonna go with the G2D Morpheus pedal. It seems pretty cool.

15. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

When you finally buy something, anything, PLEASE GOD SOMETHING... let us know;)

-TJK

16. fenderbender4

Posted the order today. I think I'm gonna get three pedals. One for rythm, lead, and overdrive. For OD maybe an Eternity, for Lead a Keeley DS1, and for rythm, the aforementioned Morpheus. The DS1 and Morpheus are ordered. They'll run into either a Two-Rock CR 100 watt, or a Bruno Super 100 (waiting for info from TR).

17. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

Well, I see I'm too late. I was over at nick's house again today. He was playing one of his SCOD's through a super reverb.... and it didnt sound like a super reverb at all. I dont know what kind of amp you have, but it sounded mean through that amp.

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

Fenderbender4,

Now that its been over a year, how is/was the Morpheus. :D

19. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

+1 on the MT-2 Metal Zone w/ Monte Allums mod...full-on \m/

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+2 on the Boss unit. Metal for days!