Metal Players: Brutality = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrmega, May 22, 2008.

1. mrmega

mrmega Member

I have spent a very long time looking into my next amp purchase and so now I am grabbing some opinions. I started by reading reviews, looking at youtube, tracking down sound clips and finally looking at threads for the past few days and here is where I am.

For Heavy stuff, I am running a 2 and sometimes 3 amp setup playing metal (6 and 7 string) and want to add another head to the arsenal.

I am looking for a more modern sound, and more brutality.

Here are the amps I have right now (for metal and harder rock):
    -=- Marshall JVM (The 4 channel)
    -=- Marshall Vintage Modern (Modified)
    -=- Marshall JCM 900
    -=- Marshall Mode Four
    -=- Mesa Dual Rectifier
    -=- Peavey 5150
    -=- Randall Vmax
    -=- Carvin Valve Master

In your opinion, what is the most brutal TUBE amp out there for $2500 used or new? Obviously this takes away the Deizel's ( I would get a Herbert if I could). I am also looking to stay away from other Marshalls or Boogies.

Requirements:
    1. One channel (could be more)
    2. Brutal Metal Tone
    3. High Gain
    4. Prefer an effects Loop (not a deal killer)
    5. I could care less about versatility
    6. Great Punch
    7. Plenty of Low End with good definition
    8. Chords are clear if your technique doesn't suck ;)

Amps I am considering

VHT Deliverance 60
    Bogner Uberschall

Do you like one of those or something else? Why?

2. JStizz

JStizz Member

for metal also look into other VHTs. the Pittbull 50 and/or 100 will do the trick VERY well. i prefer the pittbull 50.

also, think about Engl amps, they are known for their high gain stuff.

besides Diezel, it seems like you may have already considered most of your options.

3. mdsmith64

mdsmith64 Supporting Member

If you talkin' old school thrash brutal (think Exodus), then nothing beats a USA Jackson through a Peavey XXX. Here's my friends band with both guitarists using the XXX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4BMbJsnWKY

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Diezel vh4
    Peavey 5150
    EVH mkII

5. jcj

jcj Member

VHT UL at about $1800 used, with the graphic.

6. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

VHT Pittbull CL100 that head will blow you away.

7. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

VHT Ultralead with EQ...BREWTALITY! I don't think the Deliverance will do it for you. I had an Ultralead and I now have a Deliverance...UL is waaaay more brutal and modern sounding.

8. Ace_F4i

Ace_F4i Member

dude.
    hughes-kettner triamp mkII
    mesa boogie road king mkII.

the mesa is the most modern sounding but the full gain on the hughes-kettner will make you go sterile in 2.5 seconds. it's very heavy and still maintains a great tone. both are amazing amps. Killswitch used the road king II on their last CD and the hughes-kettner on the one before that. The triamp mkII is probably more versatile out of the two but the road king is pretty complicated amp and it has an assload (this is metric system for more than you can shake a stick at) of differnet possibilities like switching between EL34 or 6L6. I haven't had much time with it. If your only looking for a good lead tone check out an engl invader 100.

if you're on a budget or need to buy a cab also, buy a 5150 and modify via FJA mods. search youtube for "5150 lead". I recommend a mills acoustics research cab. bigger more 3D sound than an over-sized mesa recto cab.

9. mbetter

mbetter Member

Engl Powerball. That amp hits me in the gut. If I still played metal, I'd be all over one.

10. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Bogner Uber, or Mako Dorado would be right up your alley.

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

uberschall,vht ul,framus cobra,engl powerball and se.

12. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

uberschall, will melt your face off.

dave

13. Julia343

Julia343 Member

14. digital jams

digital jams Member

Looking for a compressed mordern tone? I am thinking not due to you wanting string seperation........

VHT UL, Sig-X, or DL120

Rocca HG100

Cameron modded Marshall

Splawn NItro has retarded low end.

To me the Uber is not going to you the string seperation but it does sound huge.

A more compressed amp but great tones is the ENGL Powerball.

15. thenine

thenine Member

uber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. is350xtrm

is350xtrm Member

I own or have owned most of these types of amps, here's my thoughts for what its worth

The VHT UL with EQ is extremely brutal and modern, but you'll hear every note every time, so your playing has to be perfect.

The Uber is brutal with a ton of gain, but is much more rubbery. Its quite a bit darker and more open.

The Herbert is a beast. Very tight, enough gain and girth to please anyone. Another amp (along with the Uber) that you can't sound bad as long as know how to Eq...

The Cobra, I never liked. Too fizzy at the top end. Plenty of gain, but I drove myself crazy trying to dial out the hiss.

I have yet to try an Engl in person, but the clips online don't seem bad...

I'd probably go Uber or UL for the money, Herbert if I could swing the extra $$$

17. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Fuchs Viper, really!
    It is an amazing brutal amp.

18. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

From my only personal experience, my picks would be:
    1. Uberschall
    2. Splawn Nitro (stupid loud, wouldn't bother unless you're in a band, may need a boost to get it more saturated)
    3. ENGL Powerball (or various other models)

Each are incredible in their own right and will do what you want. They'll just get there differently.

Uber is my favorite, just raw and brutal. The loosest of the bunch, but still tight enough for technical stuff. I find it does best with tight pickups. The most toneful of the bunch IMO. For a high gainer it has a lot of "personality."

The Nitro will sterilize you it's so loud and has an incredibly fast taper on the master volume; I wouldn't even consider it unless I was in a band. You'd have to do the whole loop trick to even attempt manageable volumes. Like someone else said the lowend is retardedly punchy and tight. Tightest and punchies of the bunch and demands respect. However, I think it's the least flexible of the three and lacks some "personality", but what it does with some serious authority. Also, it's not as saturated as the rest so you may find you want a boost. Imagine a marshall with more gain and an emphasis on the lowmids rather than the high mids. The youtube video with Scott playing it is a great representation of the amp.

The Powerball is a very underrated amp and is arguably the most versatile of the three. It has a marshally flavor, but tighter and much more brutal. However, I found unless you swap the tubes you'll be fighting an impossible battle with harshness. Very distinct tone, but I really dig it.

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Mesa Triple Recto! Only here could the Mesa be left out! The rectifier is that sound. Bob

20. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

Another vote for the Bogner Uberschall. Back when I wanted a heavy tone, I used one and loved it. The best heavy/hi gain amp I've played. Way better than Dual Rectifiers I think. Doesn't have the annoying buzziness the Rectos have...punchier, sweeter distortion, but still has a great sounding, tight low end. Sounds big and heavy but doesn't sound cheesy. Gives you a metal tone but somehow still sounds classy and tubey. Definitely a one trick pony but if that's what you're going for, I'd highly recommend it.