• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Metal riff masters- Who is your favorite?

RonH

There are a lot of great riff masters out there that have already been mentioned. I have to go with Criss Oliva from Savatage. He came up with some killer riffs!

treedroppings

Thanks to all that mentioned Gary Holt. I love his work! Gary rocks!!

And Dio, for "don't write in Starlight" RIP forever señor!

Grainslayer

I've been thinking about this one for a while. Who wrote/recorded the best riffs that get your head banging? I was instantly thinking Iommi, maybe Hetfield, maybe Scott Ian. I kept thinking about all my favorite stuff and I keep coming back to Dave Mustaine. That Rust in Peace album has so much groove and feel to the riffs (as do songs on So Far, So Good...). Who do you guys like?
Lol...first three I thought of.in same order...

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
Randy Rhoads needs to be included IMO. Blizzard and Diary are full of awesome metal riffs.

hubberjub

Though he's turned into someone who I can't stand, Mustaine writes some of the most fantastic metal riffs I've heard. The thing is, a lot of them are disguised as metal riffs, but Megadeth has some of the funkiest rhythms you'll hear.

So tight.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Well, I certainly agree with you that the Train of Consequences riff is a great one!

However, I don't see where rhythm is secondary to lead in metal. Of course lead has been considered very important, but from the days of Sabbath and Zep the riff has been foremost. Was Hammett considered more important than Hetfield in Metallica? Certainly not. What has made classic/why do we love Smoke on the Water, Iron Man, Unchained, Angel of Death, Oroborus, etc, etc etc? The riff, bro, the riff.

What made Mustaine great was his riffs were consistently better than anyone else's riffs.

No kidding, metal is all about rhythm guitar.

I don't disagree at all. What I meant was, I always remember lead guitarists always being the ones in the spotlight. They were always the ones I was seeing interviewed in guitar magazines, and they seemed to get more respect and attention than the rhythm guitarists. Look at Guns n Roses; Slash is basically a household name whereas most non-guitarists have no idea who Izzy Stradlin is. I remember many bands back in my younger years where, basically, the best guitar player was the one who got to play lead, and the one who wasn't as good got thrown on rhythm.

All I'm saying is that rhythm guitar often doesn't get the respect it deserves. Most guitarists who were more technically focused tended to focus on lead playing (I've known several "lead" guitarists who look down their noses at the "rhythm" guitarist), but Dave Mustaine chose to focus that on rhythm playing instead.

rsm

For me:

Dimebag
Mustaine
Iommi

But Chuck Schuldiner is still my favorite.

Ransom

Mustaine for me; nobody else comes close! As mentioned in the OP, "SF,SG...SW!" is stellar. It and "Endgame" are my favorite Megadeth albums and both are riff city.

zepwanker

Though he's turned into someone who I can't stand, Mustaine writes some of the most fantastic metal riffs I've heard. The thing is, a lot of them are disguised as metal riffs, but Megadeth has some of the funkiest rhythms you'll hear.

So tight.

What is so bad about mustaine now? Read his book. Awesome

Coldacre

Quorthon
Euronymous
Nocturno Culto
Count Grishnackh
Trey Azagthoth
Bill Steer
Jeff Hanneman

hubberjub

the book leaves those out if there are any I've never heard about that. It's more his life story and getting his life together
I'm all for him getting his life together. I apologize for linking to a TMZ article, but apparently Mustaine's lawyers have had good success in having a lot of the other videos removed. I won't make this political, but I have zero tolerance for people when they start **** like this.
http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/15/megadeth-singer-obama-staged-aurora-shooting-massacre/

Doom Man

Anyway, back on topic....
Seems like most of the bases are covered already, so I'll throw in some that haven't been listed yet.

Glenn Ljungström and Jesper Strömblad for helping to pioneer melodeath with their early work with In Flames

The Amott brothers (Michael with Carcass, another melodeath pioneer and both brothers with Arch Enemy)

Vogg. His work with Decapitated is now thought to be some of the most innovative in death metal in the last 15 years

Joe Duplantier
Ola Englund
Jeff Loomis
Keith Merrow
Aaron Turner
Kurt Ballou
Brendan Small

A bit more left of field, but Steven Wilson. Yes I know, Porcupine Tree isn't really a 'metal' band and he's not a metal guitarist per se, but the few metal riffs/songs that he's written are great and get my head bobbin'.
I could probably list more, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom