• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

metal vs. distortion tones/pedals

idk

i was messing around with my friend's ibanez s custom at church tonight with his boss multi(never really tried all those floyd rose tricks and stuff, it was fun).

what kind of effects do metal/speed metal artists use or is it more of the amp and pickups? i always thought it was distortions, but the sound just wasn't right when i tried those settings on the boss(which i'm guessing is supposed to be sorta DS-1 based). i tried it on the metal settings(which i'm guessing is similar to MZ/MT) based which of course sounded a lot better. what is usually used when playing that kind of music? i'm just trying to vary my styles, i'm sure a lot of people could benefit from learning how to shred like a speed metal player.

forum_crawler

i was messing around with my friend's ibanez s custom at church tonight with his boss multi(never really tried all those floyd rose tricks and stuff, it was fun).

what kind of effects do metal/speed metal artists use or is it more of the amp and pickups? i always thought it was distortions, but the sound just wasn't right when i tried those settings on the boss(which i'm guessing is supposed to be sorta DS-1 based). i tried it on the metal settings(which i'm guessing is similar to MZ/MT) based which of course sounded a lot better. what is usually used when playing that kind of music? i'm just trying to vary my styles, i'm sure a lot of people could benefit from learning how to shred like a speed metal player.
You still have much to learn about this TGP! :rotflmao

Anyways, metal tones are perhaps the most difficult tones to achieve from multi fx units. The best perhaps are to be had from Digitech units (unless you go into very expensive, more pro units) and even then, analog pedals will almost always sound better.

For metal, a high gain amp will always be better than pedals, this however depends on the type of metal you want to play. Death metal, thrash, nu metal, etc. Some amps are better for certain tones than others. For that Iron Maiden type of sounds Marshall amps might be the ticket, for Metallica you might want to look at Mesa Boogies, etc, it depends on what you want.

Pickups do play a role when it comes to your metal tone, again depending on what you are looking for, passive might be better than active, or vice-versa.

Eagle1

Go and play through an Engl SE no pedal can do this .
the nearest in a pedal would be a Boss ML2 fun but a bit crap.

ungarn

Tried MANY...best bang for buck is a used Electro-Harmonix Nano Metal Muff.

Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) has a new Guitar World Super Shred DVD out...learn that stuff and you will be a metal master!

plexistack

Back in my metal days I used to run the amp clean and use a pedal (or two) for gain. I found this to be more "metallic" than running the amp dirty, which just sounded rock & roll.

blastastick

There are many types of metal tones. Classic metal, Thrash metal, death Metal, Black Metal. Just like Carlton, Vaughn, Gibbons, and BB King are all different blues, but in the same genre. Check some stuff out and see what you liike the best.

Amp distortion is the best for the heavier styles. I have not found a pedal that will truly do extreme pedal. I have tried.

MERCYFULFATE

Old Metalhead.
Supporting Member
the Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion does a great job through a clean amp.:RoCkIn

eclipseall

There are some great pedasls designed for metal that will give you great tones through a clean up.

Heres a few:
MXR Double Shot
MXR Dime
Damage Control Solid Metal or Demonizer
Zoom Tri Metal
T Rex Bloody Marry

Im a metal player and I have found that metal tones are the hardest to achieve in multi effects units and pedls. Some manufactures sell a pedla as high gain, but they dont thell you that high for them is just a rock crunch. So alot of high gain pedlas out there go no heavier than your tipical Marshall Crunch. You can go for the Metal Zone type pedals but thise are ok for the bed room practice rig. Live they usually fail because they have a hard time cutting through the mix.

I currently use the MXR Double Shot and could not be any happier. I run an eq after it and its crushing. Its loud, huge output, extremely silent. The distoriton is very dry, not fizzy at all (that for me is the number one feature). It has two channels. One is modern high gain, the same circuit as the Dime Distotion (Pantera/Metallica like). The other is a Plexi type of crunch,, but heavier and very bassy (another plus because I use EMGs which can be somewaht thin).

idk

ahh okay i see thanks everyone. so people really do use the metal designated pedals for metal.

i dont get the first comment. i meant that as a general statement not directed at TGP or any person in particular. i was just saying that i'm a new guitar player and i'm self taught, and i know a lot of guys around me(especially at church) that only know the basic chords and wanna get better, learn techniques and stuuf, and if anyone knows about flying their fingers across the fretboard with blazing speed and accuracy, its speed metal players right?

idk

There are some great pedasls designed for metal that will give you great tones through a clean up.

Heres a few:
MXR Double Shot
MXR Dime
Damage Control Solid Metal or Demonizer
Zoom Tri Metal
T Rex Bloody Marry

Im a metal player and I have found that metal tones are the hardest to achieve in multi effects units and pedls. Some manufactures sell a pedla as high gain, but they dont thell you that high for them is just a rock crunch. So alot of high gain pedlas out there go no heavier than your tipical Marshall Crunch. You can go for the Metal Zone type pedals but thise are ok for the bed room practice rig. Live they usually fail because they have a hard time cutting through the mix.

I currently use the MXR Double Shot and could not be any happier. I run an eq after it and its crushing. Its loud, huge output, extremely silent. The distoriton is very dry, not fizzy at all (that for me is the number one feature). It has two channels. One is modern high gain, the same circuit as the Dime Distotion (Pantera/Metallica like). The other is a Plexi type of crunch,, but heavier and very bassy (another plus because I use EMGs which can be somewaht thin).
how do you adjust the EQ to get more metal-ish tones?

redpill

ahh okay i see thanks everyone. so people really do use the metal designated pedals for metal.

i dont get the first comment. i meant that as a general statement not directed at TGP or any person in particular. i was just saying that i'm a new guitar player and i'm self taught, and i know a lot of guys around me(especially at church) that only know the basic chords and wanna get better, learn techniques and stuuf, and if anyone knows about flying their fingers across the fretboard with blazing speed and accuracy, its speed metal players right?
Google the terms "jazz guitar." "classical guitar," and "flamenco."

idk

Google the terms "jazz guitar." "classical guitar," and "flamenco."
ah good point. i totally forgot about those, which i do enjoy playing and learning as well. i actually only started picking up electric because that was what was seriously lacking in church. theres a lot of times i miss playing acoustic on stage/

forum_crawler

Oh you missed the joke, it was aimed at those who claim that shredding takes no skill, or that it lacks soul. That is all.

Practice is what you need. To achieve those levels of technical ability you will need to practice lots, and to get some good pointers in what techniques will help you get there. I am self taught as well, and it took me a while to get the hang of sweep arpeggios, so I started with simple 3 string sweeps and then 4, and then 5, and 6. You get the idea.

Advanced soloing techniques like what you would find in say, Megadeth's Rust In Peace, any Cacophony, or any Necrophagist should perhaps not be attempted at first, as they can turn out to be frustrating rather than helpful. Stuff like King Diamond/Merciful Fate, Ozzy, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian and the like would be a good starting point for good rythym guitar experience, melodies, and anything from medium to intense soloing techniques.

idk

advice taken. i'm still learning, and since its church theres not any metal that gets played there(i would love the day that that happens though) and so i play mostly vintage rock(hillsong stuff). i'm hoping that i get carryover between styles, thats my goal with learning different types of music. i love the speed it takes not only to shred, but even play those 1 and 2 string 16th note rhythms.

epluribus

Been playing since the early 70's and recently I started studying with a shred guy. Definitely does wonderful things for your right hand, some cool melodies and approaches to building progression/groove too. Kinda tough adjustment as I almost never play exactly on the beat, but then my bud never learned to play off of it, so we're kinda teaching each other.

Anyhoo, say yes to shred--wonderful addition to your repertoire.

--Ray

weberbster

Last edited:

Trending Topics